Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Skeletor with normal map Head size vote~ :)

shincartoon
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
shincartoon polycounter lvl 17
Hello, everyone.

This is my very first post on the web.

I modeled this skeletor lowpoly in Maya and modeled the details with z-brush(normal map with the z-mapper plugin.)

the polycount is 3700 triangles with normal map.

Hope you guys like it.

Please comments and critics are greatly welcome.

cpers4jc.jpg
chead8wc.jpg
ctop5ws.jpg
cside9fa.jpg
ctraps5xv.jpg
clegs5pl.jpgsmile.gif

Replies

• System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    I love that tiny little head on top of his massive torso!
    I do spot some weird glitches in the lighting though, can you do anything about this, or is it just a flaw in the rendering?
  • flachdrache
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flachdrache polycounter lvl 18
    May i just now the character more as you do - but please just browse through these photos : http://21361.com .

Beside the skull its all good and may it be the last time i say something about "it". mad.gif
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    I'm not so keen on the skull, it just looks a bit comical to me.. He didn't have a tiny head in the cartoon as far as I recall? Keep it going though man

edit: since its your first post on the net I'll elaborate a bit more on why I say that- when you tackle some subject matter that is part of many peoples childhoods then ask for crits, they are generally going to want to see it as close to the source as possible (which they know quite well)- unless you are purposefully going for a re-design based on the original concept. Doing that is cool but you'll need to say so- or it'll just be compared directly to the original. Hope I don't sound patronising there
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    I am Skeletor! Overlord of EVIL!

Looks great, dude. I like it. laugh.gif
  • Darksun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Darksun polycounter lvl 18
    Nah, the original cartoon didn't have a small skull, but the new toys kind do. I like this, I'd love to see him with all the trimmings!
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    if you plan to make Skeletor naked, which is bizarre enough in it's self, why not give the poor man a shlong? I mean, he has to have at least one credible asset to his name.

and I wish the word "bizarre" had two Z's and one R.
  • CheeseOnToast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    Not bad at all, but I think he's suffering a bit from Zbrush blobitis. Could you sharpen up some of the creases with the pinch tool? You'll get a crisper normal map out of it too.
  • Dio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dio polycounter lvl 18
    Skull is too small, the thumb size seems small for the hand size, the abdominal muscles read too bubbly, and the inner thigh lacks definition. Those easily addressed issues aside it looks great. As always I would like to see a wireframe and I hope to see Skeletor fully realized.
  • Nappa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nappa polycounter lvl 17
    althought the thread say Skeletor on it i think he looks like atomic skull all in all like the model never knew he was that buff
  • shincartoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow! Thank you all for your critics!

mighty pea Thank you. About the weird glitches I think that they come from me not knowing the best settings for the z mapper. It was the first time I used it and I still love it! but have to look more into the plugin settings.
    flachdrache thanks for the pics they are great reference.
    rooster thank you very much for your consideration. The skeletor I made is more toward the 2000 toyline. Although I grew up as a child loving the old Masters of the Universe series... I think that the new version has a little more in the armor gear...
    Thanks Makkon hope you also like the armor when it is finished.
    Darksun This was actually a anatomy study for me also. So I tried to keep the anatomy realistic as possible but still maintaining the comical proportion. Sorry about the small head... it actually gets covered up by his hood.
    hawken of course I will model his gear lol the shlong is something that I always wonder how much of it should be modeled... most of the time I leave it out...
    CheeseOnToast Thanks! I haven't used much of the pinch in z-brush but I deffinetly will use it now.
    Dio Thank you for the critics they are very important ones and I will re model all of them.
    Nappa Thank you for your critic. In my memory skeletor is very buff because of those 80's toys which were walking muscle balls lol.

wire2ym.jpg

I am still working on the high version of the body. Still have to finish the foot arms... and tweak all the body. but here is a shot of how I think the armor will look.
    package6vm.jpg
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    I like the small skull, gives him more character somehow.
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    Hey, the outfit looks just like him too! Home run, dude!
    You have such a deep understanding of clean polyflow and poly usage.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    The armour looks quite nice allready, it really brings out the skeletor i grew up with, and i think the tiny skull is still a great stylistic addition to it.
    Also, may i remind everyone about commas, full stops, exclamation marks (wait, maybe not that one), and question marks?
    I don't know why, but this thread seems to attract illiterate people. And while nationality may often be a good defense in these kind of things, i'm fairly certain your language has interpunction, just as much as english does.

let's take a look at Nappa's comment, shall we?:
    althought the thread say Skeletor on it i think he looks like atomic skull all in all like the model never knew he was that buff

Hmm... my head hurts a little from trying to understand that, but allow me to make some suggestions, based on my newfound understanding of this interesting interpunction-less english:

Although (capital letter, no t at the end) the thread says (ends in s) Skeletor on it, (comma, so everyone can breathe and continue reading with renewed energy. the way you write, they need it) I (capital I, allthough i never do this myself either) think he looks like 'Atomic Skull' (i take it this is another cartoon-character, so he needs capital letters, and some floaty stripey thingies wouldn't hurt either). (full stop! everybody breathe easy, aaand here we go again!) All (capital letter) in all I (you) like the model, although (comma, allthough) I (you) never knew he was that buff.

tadaa! that's how it's done.
    As for those wanting to flame my efforts, laced with condescending sarcasm as they may have been, please don't. I merely tried to be humorous as i (possibly inadequatly, because english is not my mothertongue) educated them on my good friend: interpunction.
    Sorry for the thread hijack!
  • pogonip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pogonip polycounter lvl 18
    Good start..I think it's gonna be really kick ass when you are done
  • shincartoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you Toomas! I think the head looks ok with the hood on.
    Very encouraging words Makkon! You give me hope!:)
    Well said mighty pea! My english writting skills are pretty bad also... I will try my best. smile.gif
    Thank you pogonip. I hope I can finish him soon. smile.gif
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    Seeing the thick hood, I can understand why he has a peanut head, but I'd think that having a larger head and a thinner hood would be better, because right now he just looks stupid. Tiny heads that size and realistic anatomy just don't mix, at least not for me. Otherwise everything looks very good. Excellent model. laugh.gif
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    you're saying a buffed up blue bodied half gay skeleton,wearing undies does NOT look a tad bit silly?

fab model btw, remember my little brother stole it from a toystore and opened the package so my mother HAD to buy it, lol. GO TINY HEAD laugh.gif
    brachiosaurus.gif

oh btw, look, commas punctuation, and my ancestry is not even remotely english!
  • shincartoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you so much for you comments and critics dfacto I think that the time has come for a head size vote smile.gif

dejawolf Thank you so much for your picture and comments. Also your memory of skeletor figure lol~~!

Now

VOTE TIME

Before I change anything else on this guy

I think the head size is the biggest problem.

Could you Please choose the head size that you like best?

You can just say A, B, C or between A and B... or Bigger than A~~

Thank you smile.gif

h0011bj.jpg
    h0020wu.jpg
    h0030mv.jpg
    h0045jo.jpg

Happy New Year~~!!!
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    I like the bigger head, A, on the body without the armor, but with the hood, the small head looks fine. I have a few skeletors around here, and the smaller head in hood is how he looks.
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    Definitely A.

I mean, imagine you're fighting with C, and he's kicking your ass Skeletor style, and all the sudden he's got you by the throat and you're face to peanut head with him. You're gonna die, but how could you not laugh at someone with a head the size of your fist?

A looks nice and menacing, and a thin hood would give the same overall look you've got going with the small head.
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    ye bigger head
    but per128 really sux
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    number A!
    yes per sux, omg, lolez and so on and so forth.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Os part of the problem that a skull head does look smaller in comparison to a fleshed head anatomically in RL? I guess just overemphasize it. I like B personally. With the cap, it will look big as it is.
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    B. A looks too generic.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    I vote A, or a size inbetween A and B. If you have some ortho shots though maybe you should post them, and we can all stfu if your model is spot on with the reference tongue.gif
  • Steakhouse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steakhouse polycounter lvl 18
    Small head. It's got personality, not to mention a bone to pick with the world for being born with a miniature brain dome.
  • shincartoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you all for taking time and voting for the head size of my model. This is Great help to me. I really do think that your critics about the head size is very important. What matters most is what people think about the final result. If people think that the head is too small than I must fix it. smile.gif

Here is the side view I used as reference.... it really wasn't the best in the world...

side23dn.jpg

Even though the head is kind of small on the picture I did NOT follow the pic exactly. Please do not stop to vote just because the head of the figure is small in the pic.

I think that a job of a modeler is not only having the skills to model exactly as the reference but to improve the model and make it look even better than the reference. smile.gif

Here is a photo I found on the internet comparing the old Skeletor figure and the new Skeletor figure. I still like the old one better.

motuskel48wm.jpg
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    C! C! C!

cc babcock!
  • Jerome
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerome polycounter lvl 18
    I'm going with pea on this one, I personally like c best. The small head gives him a very interesting look, lots of character as was said before. Oh, are you gonna make that sweet staff he is weilding(sp?)?
  • sinistergfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sinistergfx polycounter lvl 18
    Old skeletor looks like an angry midget.

New skeletor looks pretty badass.

So I guess they brought He-Man back? I didn't know.
  • Darksun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Darksun polycounter lvl 18
  • shincartoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi, everyone I hope you remember Skeletor...

I decided to go between head size A and B

Hope you guys like him

sk0126oa.jpg

sk0105vk.jpg

sk0153it.jpg
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    aah brilliant that works a treat! what are his final specs?
    you got to stick him in quake4 now right wink.gif

btw I don't think your renders are as flattering as they could be, the gradient with compression looks a bit poop smile.gif. Im sure the model could shine even more
  • chico
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chico polycounter lvl 17
    ROLFMAO - that's pretty neat man
    captured the volume of the character pretty well- now do Adam:)

chico
  • swampbug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    swampbug polycounter lvl 18
    Give that baby some texture.. he looks to be solid colors.

good work though.. you did him great justice.
  • shincartoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the kind replies guys :-)

rooster the curent render is Maya Hardware render witch really sucks... I'm trying to get it to look good in mental ray but it's taking me some time.... If I can't get it to work I will take it to Max and see what I can do :-)

chico Thanks dude I guess I can use the same body and just model Adam's head like the old he man toys did :-)

swampbug oh the textures... yeah. I really have to work more on them. Right now he looks really cell shaded... Thanks man! :-)
  • kleinluka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kleinluka polycounter lvl 18
  • Zergxes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zergxes polycounter lvl 18
    I think you definately made the right choice.

I caught wind of the survey a bit too late, but I think the smallest head would work if he had used some whack growth formula to grow himself 30 ft high. Holy crap, I think I just wrote an episode.
  • shincartoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haha that picture really rules kleinluka.

Thank you for your cool comment Zergxes. Now that I look at it the small head was really dumb. :-)
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    Perfect.

Scott
  • Corry Frydlewicz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Corry Frydlewicz polycounter lvl 17
    Head looks great ^^

I was gonna vote A, but the slightly smaller with the hood looks perfect.
  • shincartoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you Scott and Corry for your kind comments^^

I am currently working on a more realistic character.

Could you please critique him for me?

gray2nx.jpg

wire9av.jpg
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    Can we see a straight sideways shot of the model? Daz could help you more in the edgeflow and edgelops around the face, but in the shaded view, but the feet look a tad wide. The lower legs in general seem a tad thick.

Scott