Home General Discussion

Next-Gen Wish List?

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Marcus Dublin polycounter lvl 17
"Now with the Next-Gen systems upon us what gaming innovations would you like to see in the next couple of years? We all know the graphics will be better but with the extra horse power what would you like to see developers do with it?"

Realistically for me I would love to see developers make a push towards filling the worlds we play in with more NPC's. This would greatly benefit RPG's and open ended games like GTA. Imagine in GTA running through crowded streets being chased by the cops or in an RPG going into a fully populated town or city! I would trade toned down graphics for more characters to interact with any day of the week. I believe Capcom has a Zombie game in the works (“Dead Rising” : http://media.xbox360.ign.com/media/...mg_3090133.html ) where the streets are over run with zombies for you to interact with; I feel it's a start.

What are your thoughts?

Replies

• swampbug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    swampbug polycounter lvl 18
    REALTIME ANIMATION!

I've love to see a major improvement smoothness and transition in character animation. I am quite annoyed at current-gen 3d characters popping and snapping in realtime gameplay. Basicly i want realtime gameplay to look like cutscene animation with all the subtle details we call realistic. I'd like the 3d human skeleton to use methods of balance, weight, anticipation alternate pivot points, yadda yadda.. and muscles to really control animation in real time.

Also.. ragdoll is old. Humans arent made of rags. I'd like to see better applicates in animation for how characters really react when shot, or fall down (half protecting their head, and having some muscle control still involved)
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    would trade toned down graphics for more characters to interact with any day of the week.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, but some things fuck up gameplay - having a city full of people might look cool, but its a bugger to navigate and pass all those people.

What do I want? With the bigger teams adn more money, I want some to be spent on playtesters. Too many games lack game focus: I recently played a good game that was let down horribly by a bad pointless ending that took me about 40 attempts. I've worked in the past on games with horrible control systems and cameras, where the entire team would scream that it was bad but this was ignored by the producers, or the designer has a pissy fit. Then an outside producer/publisher says "the controls/camera is shit" and they are told "ah, it's too late to change it now."

I'd like to see more time spent by the coders on perfecting recurring game elements rather than coding some stupid throwaway set piece move.

I'd like more boobs.
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    REALTIME ANIMATION!

I've love to see a major improvement smoothness and transition in character animation. I am quite annoyed at current-gen 3d characters popping and snapping in realtime gameplay. Basicly i want realtime gameplay to look like cutscene animation with all the subtle details we call realistic. I'd like the 3d human skeleton to use methods of balance, weight, anticipation alternate pivot points, yadda yadda.. and muscles to really control animation in real time.

Also.. ragdoll is old. Humans arent made of rags. I'd like to see better applicates in animation for how characters really react when shot, or fall down (half protecting their head, and having some muscle control still involved)

[/ QUOTE ]

I've worked with Unreal 3, and you can get that. plus having precise control with the feet on the "floor" collision plane(s). The problem is, is that it takes a lot of animation to make it work. The best I have seen so far, using Unreal 2 was Splinter Cel: CHaos theory. Another problem is that eveyone is learning it at the same time, but falling back on previous experience for schedule reasons. You have to do make a lot of single frame blends, and adjust the timing. The timing and blending is a separate, and rather technical tool, as compared to animating it fully.

There has been some exploration into "Proceedural" animation, but a lot of that is still theoretical, and also for the smoothly blended animation to work, it neds to anticipate the player, and the AI moves 2 moves ahead, otherwise the character is not responsive to player inputs. That right there may be the death of smooth blending.

Scott
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    Scott: Yeah, the animators here on Gears Of War have been working on player anims forever, lately they've spent a lot of time making custom transitional stops and slides for when walking, running, running into cover, kneeling/sliding into cover and so on.

Takes a lot of time; it also looks smooth as butter and more cinematic ingame though so it's deemed worth it here.

r.
  • Slipstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slipstream polycounter lvl 19
    I'd like to see publishers allow longer development timetables for next-gen games so that teams can focus on getting the vision of the game they see to the players.

With all the new processor power I'd also like to see some revolutionary improments in AI, for both combat and non-combat situations. It would blow my mind to be able to at least have a semi-intelligent conversation with an npc in a game, instead of a "pick what you want from the choices" kind of system.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    I want voice recognition and speech synthesis combined with wicked awesome NPC AI in an adventure/detective game.
    And gorgeous graphics with atmospheric sound & an orchestal score.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    I want 'surroundovision' headsets.
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    next-generation gameplay

why haven't we got that yet
  • Weiser_Cain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Weiser_Cain polycounter lvl 18
    Realistic hair. I’d be more than satisfied with half-life 2 level models for the next year or three if they just had ‘real’ hair (that also didn’t clip through anything mind you). If I had to pick one thing this is it.

Better physics. It’s time the rest of the game was as advanced as the graphics.

Better AI and or Path finding. Hey where’d my guys go?

Better input devices. I love my old, clicky, IBM keyboard but there has got to be a better way. I’m looking to the Nintendo revolution to see if this will be going anywhere in the near future. This includes being able to talk to my game and have it talk back at least quasi-intelligently (how hard is speech synth anyway?). Fingers crossed.

Better tools. I’m lazy and I want it fast and easy.
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    next-generation gameplay

[/ QUOTE ]

Define it?

Scott
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    next-generation gameplay

[/ QUOTE ]

Define it?

Scott

[/ QUOTE ]

Easy: by not taking out vital/revolutionary gameplay features past games had. Where's my fucking following ai buddies, swimmable water, shrinkray and mirrors, etc.
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good! whenever, please specify
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    wow, if only I'd realized it was that simple smile.gif

r.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    I'd like to see shadows in next gen environments. Seems everyone jumped from shitty vertex colours on current gen right past lightmaps and into normal mapped flat looking no shadows on anything crapness. My list of offenders: Kameo, Perfect Dark, Call of Duty, DOA, Amped, King Kong, and all sports games.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    I'd like to see house of the dead 4 arcade cabinet in my house

hauseofthedead46vu.jpg
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ha, did that guy dress up to play house of the dead or does he always wear leather cheese cutter and gun holster.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Is that guy seriously wearing a holster and leather gloves while playing that? hahaha
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    Devotion people, that is devotion!

Personally, I'd like to see realtime volumetric liquid, if that's the right wording for it.
  • Marcus Dublin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marcus Dublin polycounter lvl 17
    All good points guys, I don't think any of your suggestions are all that impractical from a technical point of view but considering current production times I wonder if developers would be allowed by there publishers to implement some of this stuff. Especially when it comes to physics and A.I., two things I feel will move gaming even further than where it is now. Hopefully development times will be extended not to just high profile teams and AAA titles but to smaller teams as well. 2006 and beyond will be very interesting and exciting, three cheers to the next level of gaming!

Marcus Dublin
  • okkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okkun polycounter lvl 18
    The thing about AI though is the current gen can do alot more in many cases but developers usually opt for simple sollutions due to testing limitations.

This is true for many features discussed in this thread. The more advanced and "life-like" something is the chances are you'll need more time spent testing it. So I'm with Rick, more testers (even though I can't stand dealing with most of them)
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    I'd like crowds. Sure that's hard to navigate, that's why they gave you that huge ass gun.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Everyone should get dibs on that AI brain system from Lord of the Rings and Narnia smile.gif .

I'd love to see better AI, as well as better lighting systems like realtime GI and Sub Surface Scattering. I've seen these in demos, but not in any production games.

Malcolm - CoD2 certainly has lightmapping in it. Not sure if you're playing the PC version on low or not? I own the 360 version, and there's plenty of lightmappin' going on. It's not like individual blades of grass have shadows or anything, but it's defineatly there and visible.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I know, I just think it looks like junk, I can dig up some screen shots if you like where the tank is not casting a shadow or some of the boxes either. Also makes no sense that the shading near the bottom of the crate is near black and then the lightmap under neath is this light blue colour? Not impressive.