• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Post deleted by Vig
  • Gmanx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    You know he's dressed as 'Guy Fawkes', right? And he's meant to look androgenous. Horses for courses I 'spose.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Condensed for Gauss]

Meh...

For me V for Vendetta has always been a mish-mash of stories.
    Phantom of the Opra
    1984 by George Orwell
    Zorro
    and last but not least Batman
    Sure it has some twists and some new stuff not mentioned in the other stories but there still isn't enough "new things" in the story to really grab me.

The mask always bugged me, wouldn't want to be too close to the Phantom of the Opra so we should use the comedy mask instead of the tragedy =/ What bothers me more than the mask is his bowl cut in the front and long hair in the back. It's like a mullet lovers worst nightmare. Bussiness in the front party in the back! Except V ends up looking like a chick with a mustache.

Wow so V blowing up parliament on Nov 5th, and the cheesey mustache do have something in common. Huzzah! Another story barrowed from... =/

I always hoped they would do Astro City (specificly Confessions) before they did V for Vendetta, but oh well...

The fact that its from the W-Brothers makes it even worse. I don't think even great acting can save this one from stinking up the box office?

• gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    alright, Vig, out of 5 replies, 3 posts from you should be enough to express your discontent with both the comic and the forthcoming film.

it's certainly not my favorite Moore work, but if you recall his introduction to the graphic novel, i think it's a rather apt film to be making for the time. it was born out of his anxiety about the UK under Thatcher iirc, but its relevance to today's political climate should be obvious.

i've grown tired of the Wachowski brothers and their shenanigans, but strong performances from Weaving and Portman would make this more than worth seeing.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Looks pretty dumb. Too cliche.
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    could be good, the action parts are certainly looking fun, valerie's letter is supposedly intact so there is some hope for the talky bits.

sucks that they missed out on the november 5th release, though.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    marine: hahah yeah i was just thinking of that, couldn't they have worked things out to make that deadline better? it's in the tagline for the movie, for crying out loud! smile.gif

there's a review up on AICN of the movie and the short of it is that people who liked the comic shouldn't be disappointed, and that despite trailers it is not very action-y at all.
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 19
    The more I reread V, and more I read in general, the more I appreciate it.. it's got so many pop-literate references that every time I open it I find something new. It's definitely not a comic-book comic, but I place it second right behind watchman. It's definitely better than half the junk he's written in the last decade.

The mask was a reference to Guy fawkes, the guy who tried to blow up parliament some 400 years ago. Here's a link for interested people:

http://www.shadowgalaxy.net/Vendetta/fawkes.html

I'm certainly hoping for something not-actiony in the movie.. and I hope they don't try apply the hollywood formula to it... ie. reveal too much about V and play up a romantic aspect. Most of V's strengths lie in it's open-endedness and political overtones.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    i've grown tired of the Wachowski brothers...

[/ QUOTE ]

ahem... that's the Wachowski SIBLINGS now...
    2003_6_larrywachowski2.jpg
  • pogonip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pogonip polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

Please god, don't let it be a screw up.

[/ QUOTE ]

You relize this is wrote by the guys who crafted the monumental shit fests that were the Matrix sequels ( I dont believe that wrote the original movie )
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    nope, they didn't write the original.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    The WGA thinks they wrote the original Matrix, so who gets your vote? And don't tell me Masamune Shirow!

I'd love to get in on screening of V with rorschach. I figure that even if the film is a downer, watching him froth at the mouth with inarticulate rage would be kinda fun laugh.gif