Home General Discussion

Near death experiences you never even noticed

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
JO420 polycounter lvl 18
Man was i told an interesting story tonight,a co worker of mine came over tonight and recalled something which happened 3 weeks ago.

It was a saturday and a co worker and myself were headed to Amsterdam to hang out at coffeeshops and draw a little,we left the house and headed to the bus station and as i crossed the street a honda i guess saw a chance to test his cars speed and sped up to an incredible speed and as i walked without even noticing the car grazed the tip of my scarf.

I never even noticed, i felt that something occured behind me that day as i walked to the bus,but i had no idea a car almost killed me,i wonder if i would have noticed it coming might i have stopped for a moment would it have hit me.

events like this make you think about life in general

Replies

• Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    If you stop smoking so much dope, you might notice the next car.

r.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    I've been missed by a bus by about an inch before, so has my dad. , also when I was young jumped into a swimming pool while flipping backward, my head missed the side by a few inches. Dont know, seems like if its meant to be then it's meant to be. Thank fuck smile.gif
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    I had heart surgery, though that doesn't count. Being born with holes in your vital organs sucks.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    How the hell do you not a notice a car speeding by you? Its loud as fuck. especially those little hondas and their lawn mower engines.
  • Weiser_Cain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Weiser_Cain polycounter lvl 18
    I had a car try to hit me once. I'd just gotten a pack of smokes and was crossing the street. The guy was trying to hit me so bad he nearly ran up on the curb on the other side of a two lane street. Would have got me but I noticed it subconsciously and hopped out of the way, looked real cool but I really just had no idea what had happened until it was already over.

Same spot, maybe the same night, I was stretched out on the bench looking at stars and smoking filters (I'm pretty sure I have cancer by now) when some bag lady looking um, lady comes up to me and asks me if I have a girlfriend. I say no. And she says that's funny 'cause I look just like her boyfriend that just kicked her out! While she says that last bit she reached into her purse and pulled a broken bottle out on me. Relived she didn't have anything more deadly I talk her out of slitting my throat (or trying anyway) by convincing her I wasn't in fact her boyfriend. Later on that night my friends show up, and we bounce around the neiborhood occasionally bumping into the lady who had since upgraded her arsenal to include a big stick that she'd threaten me with whenever she saw me.
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    If you stop smoking so much dope, you might notice the next car.

r.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow how incredibly witty,my grampa calls it dope also.

Read a little, the car was driving slowly and suddenly sped up,i didnt just jump in without looking.

But i guess you had to get your little stab in,im guessing you began to think up your witty response at about the point you would have read that part.
  • pogonip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pogonip polycounter lvl 18
    Wow wow wow girls ...do my spidey senses detect a cat fight ?
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Don't take it personally, I believe Ror is joking, but he's such a surly drunk it's hard to tell sometimes.
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    The thread title sums it up pretty well, i havnt noticed any near-death-experiences-i-never-even-noticed.
  • Frankie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frankie polycounter lvl 19
    I think with the incredible series of coincidences that has led to life on this planet and your existance everyone has had LOADS of near death (or even nonlife) experiences they have never noticed or will ever beable to find out happened.
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah it was a joke, I know well enough that it can sharpen senses as easily as dull them.

r.
  • Dukester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dukester polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

Wow how incredibly witty,my grampa calls it dope also.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol, I still call it dope and I ain't nobodies grampa.
    To quote a famous commercial from my kiddie days "Why do you think they call it dope?"

If you stop smoking so much dope, you might notice internet humor. laugh.gif
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    If you stop smoking so much dope, you might notice internet humor. laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you kidding? Smoking "dope" makes just about anything humorous.
  • Dukester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dukester polycounter lvl 18
    okay, dammit, you got me there smile.gif
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    How do you miss a speeding car? I mean, going as fast as you imply, how can you not see it, or hear it coming? And why would it speed in a pedestrian area, and not react to missing you? It's only natural for someone to suspect something more to the story. I guess it's one of those "you had to be there" moments.

So your friend told you this 3 weeks later?
  • Moz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moz polycounter lvl 18
    I once took off in a glider with the tail dolly still on the back.

It's a wheel that you attach to the fuseloge with a clamp so you can more easily move the glider around the flight line, it's suppost to be removed once the plane is on the line, but I got the glider at the last second and it was pushed infront of the line, my instructor told me to get in and that he'd do the walk around inspection. (which is NOT suppost to happen, the PIC has to do it, but I was a student and I didn't know better)

The whole flight the glider was getting horrible performance and making wierd sounds. Till about half way during the flight I hear on the radio the tow pilot talking about a glider that still has a dolly wheel attached to it. Me, with no idea of my attachment chuckled to myself thinking of what kind of moron takes off with a tail dolly. After doing my landing circuit with was unusually sinkful and landing did I hear the horrible sound of the dolly wheel GRINDING into the grass runway and feeling the deacceleration against my straps of the glider as it grinded to a halt.

If the tail dolly had come loose it could have knocked the tail plane and removed the rudder (which would make the flight extremely and dangerous difficult) or the elevator (which would have been fatal and I would have no time to ditch before getting below 1000ft AGL

That was pretty close.
  • PaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    I almost road my bike into a giantic 18 wheeler truck. i was barreling down a steep slope and the truck was turning. I turned just in time.

It's funny now when i think how stupid and careless that was. I screamed so loud the truck driver looked at me and screamed back. ha!

-R
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    being near black widow spiders for a few days at age 4 not realizing how DANGEROUS they were
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    How do you miss a speeding car? I mean, going as fast as you imply, how can you not see it, or hear it coming? And why would it speed in a pedestrian area, and not react to missing you? It's only natural for someone to suspect something more to the story. I guess it's one of those "you had to be there" moments.

So your friend told you this 3 weeks later?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well it is possible to miss seeing,if you are about to cross a fairly short street and you see a car furthur down and its at a decent distance and a slow speed in which you know you can walk the street safely before it even gets to you you dont expect the car to speed up as it did and could definatly miss it.

as for why he forgot,that day i barely made the bus and he missed it ,i wager if he did make it he would have told me.
    Normally id tell him he was full of shit but that day i do recall some sort of commotion behind me,but when i turned an look i saw nothing unsusual and didnt pay it much attention.

Ros:Touche you got me smile.gif
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    people who do drugs are evil and should never get a job in the industry.

that aside--
    if you never even noticed it, did it happen?
    i believe if your mind did not perceive (or generate) the experience, it never happened.

all the more reason to let it go and pack another one blush.gif
  • Prs-Phil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prs-Phil polycounter lvl 18
    hahaha right

I share shotguns subjective viewpoint of the mind generating the experience but that would only be true for JO's mental reality.
    Physically this did happen, maybe not noticed by the person himself but then brought into mental existance through communication (friend) wich was then reflected on, in reference to his own beeing, and I think that is a good thing. It reminds you of your physical mortality.

I would not get caught up in "what if" questions because on that turf that can turn very ugly quite fast. See it as a little spark you can use for an interesting chain of thoughts to move forward.

That is how I see it smile.gif

Now, respect the fact that you live in the promised land and light another spliff laugh.gif
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    When I was about 8, my friends and I had trails, and treehouses, and secret places deep within the woods around my home. There were creeks, waterfalls, and small gullies, so we made rope swings to get across areas quickly. One day I took a running start on the ropes, but jumped too high off the edge giving the rope too much slack. When the rope caught, I couldn't hang on and fell about 10 feet landing flat on my back in one of the gullies. I was dazed for a moment, and tried to catch my breath. My right arm was laying straight out with my forearm parallel to me. I looked over, and between my side and my forearm was a sharp peice of tree trunk sticking out of the ground about 2 feet. If I had fallen about 6 inches to the right, things would have been messy. And it would have taken a while for anyone to find me. I didn't think about it then. But over the years I realized that could have gone much worse, and I should always look before I leap.
  • StrangeFate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StrangeFate polycounter lvl 18
    I sometimes dont even hear people call my name, just stand there and suddently there's like 4-5 people staring at me and yelling my name. Then i know, whoops, if they were throwing screaming heads at me instead of yelling my name, i'd be buried under a pile before i hear the screams.

Among the same absent minded lines, i once placed my toaster on my nice kitchen, you know, those ceramic ones, where there's just like a glass. Instead of turning the toaster on i turned the fire under it on. Ever seen a molten toaster ?
    Took me days to completely scrap off the stinking plastic from the plate. I also regularly put the mail and shampoo in the fridge after buying groceries, and i'm pretty sure one day i'll kill myself and wont notice.

**edit: oh, one day i put shampoo on my toothbrush instead of paste, tasted horrible, couldn't get rid of the taste for hours. That sure counts as a near death experience... you know, poison and such
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    SF, that made me laugh out loud.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    I've had an out of body experience.. 0_o ... When I was 8 or so, I cracked my head by jumping on two twin beds that split apart and my head hitting the metal bar that holds the box spring.. it opened up my head pretty good and I remembered everything backwards from above the operating table. They had to rush me to the hospital and I had cracked my skull open not just my skin.. and I remember to this day, them stitching my head up, watching my mother faint and watching the 4 or so hospital people around me..

But it's all to the above left as I was above my body looking down.

Doctors said, it may have been me watching myself in the light/mirror that was pointed at me, but to this day I don't recall the light/mirror just the images..and I honestly think I was away for a bit, as I was either in shock but I had no pain, and they didn't have time to give me painkiller or local anesthesic as I was losing alot of blood..

Headwounds bleed like crazy.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    When I was a kid I would always fly down my driveway into the street on my bike, bad idea because the left view was blocked by a big hedge. The one time I decide to walk my bike on the driveway and check oncoming traffic, a huge truck roars past a yard before I get to the street. Freaky to think what would've happened if I had done the usual.
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    I've been in a couple of bicycle versus car accidents, and have been on the bicycle. Bruised but never broken. I've been in more car accidents, though.

Scott
  • PfhorRunner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PfhorRunner polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Near death experiences you never even noticed

[/ QUOTE ]

Hasn't happened... I stay inside my house and don't touch anything except the occasional time when I look out of my windows at those strange beings outside.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    Oh, i cracked my skull open when i was five. Sure as hell isn't very fun attempting to walk up stairs with a bleeding head. I fell like..10-15 ft backwards, landed on my head, right on some fucking cement. Snap, Crackle, Pop.
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    When I was 5 I used to ride no handed on my bike in a race with another kid down a steep hill on a semi main road in a residential area that led down to a t junction at the bottom
    and one time we narrowly missed the oncoming traffic.

When I was 7 I swallowed a marble and it got lodged in my windpipe and I started choking so I ran to my mum to try to tell her what I had done but all I could do was point at my mouth and choke. Eventually I strained so hard I managed to bring the marble back up and when my mum realised what had almost happened she nearly suffocted me with hugs.

When I was 9 a car nearly ran me over, I stepped back just in time for it to run over my foot instead.

When I was 14 I tried to fix my amiga a500's faulty power supply by monkeying with it myself and then turning it on.
    The resulting electric shock threw me a few feet across the room.

Between 17-19 I survived 8 car crashes, 4 of them were write off's where I and whoever else was in the car, had to kick out the windscreen to get out when we were upside down and the car had stopped spinning.
    Generally these wrecks ended up so flattened that exiting via the doors was impossible. On one occasion my friend turned the car back on to get his tape out of the cassette recorder.

I was never the driver during these crashes.

When I was 19 after coming home high from a nightclub I began hallucinating at a friends house and got freaked out by the people there so decided to try to drive home at 4am.
    I hit 90 on the bypass heading home to the t junction and must have zoned out and had to break heavy as I went straight across the junction, over it, through traffic and into the hedgerow after the ditch on the other side of the road.

I was so terrified I broke 2 of the prongs on the 3 prong steering wheel in an effort to pull back and slow down.
    Essentially I almost completly ripped the steering wheel off in the midst of panic. Somehow I managed to drive home after that without incident and slept it off.

And people wonder why I'm colourful.

r.
  • sledgy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sledgy polycounter lvl 18
    Mr. Hand called it dope too!

"What are you...ON DOPE!?"
  • sledgy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sledgy polycounter lvl 18
    I had a slug whistle right past my ear in the woods while hunting deer, and I never found the perp or I would have jammed his rifle up south -> north into his throat. Probably the most embarassing near-death experience was playing with my new bow and arrow set, shooting one straight up into the air and getting nailed on the crown when it came down. "I shot an arrow into the air..." Luckily I have a thick skull and the arrow had a target tip on it. The most scary was hiking along a cliff face in the national forest along the continental divide and I slipped on some gravel, everything just went wrong and i ended up going backwards over the lip. I knew I was toast but about 10 feet down I hit a rock outcropping that bounced me sideways onto a shelf that saved me. Good times.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    When I was 3, I was sitting on the top of a reclining chair and was spinning it around by pushing off from the nearby wall. It was the type of chair that reclined when you pushed on the back part. After I got it up to speed, it reclined and I went flying head first onto the sharp corner of an air duct, gashing my forehead. I passed out on the ride to the hospital due to shock, I woke up while they where sewing me up, freaked out and passed out again. My mom must have clued them into that fact I had a history of freaking out in the doctors office, I was sedated before I could wake up again. It's a family joke that afternoon was the only day my mother knew any piece and quite from the time I was born until the time I went to school. I still want to know what they where thinking sedating a little kid that hit his head and had passed out.

Everyone once in a while someone will ask (normally little kids) "where did you get that"? I point at it and say "recliners aren't toys" and smile. I probably heard "_____ aren't toys" about a zillion times growing up. My brother and I have used it as a joke since we where teens, my mother never laughs.
  • Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    Not as amazing as Ror's or Sledgy's, but I once almost electrocuted myself to death. I was working in what is a converted machine/woodworking shop at my college, and we had been priorly warned that there was more juice running to this building due to the nature of the machinery we had for use. Outlets on walls were normal, outlets on poles next to machines got more power, we were also told.

I had decided to disassembled a paper shredder, and take the motor and wiring out, to use to make a revolving platform for a stabile. In my laziness I plugged the thing into the closest outlet (on a pole), and decided to switch it on to test it, forgetting that my fingers were what was keeping some of the wires connected together. The moment I flipped the power switch to 'On' I felt a tingling sensation that quickly became a sharp pain, then my arms were numb. Due to the way I was keeping the circuit connected with my fingertips, when the power went through both of my arms and caused my hands to form a gripped fist, the wires disconnected and fell to the floor. Thankfully I was only exposed to high voltage for a fraction of a second...and the only side effects experienced was arm numbness, and then pain over the next few days.
  • eepberries
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eepberries polycounter lvl 18
    I don't know if this is necesarily near death, but it's near something. I was driving an Integra and was at a stop sign waiting to turn left, there were alot of cars coming from both the right and left side of the intersection. I spent at least a minute flipping my head left and right, waiting for my chance to make my left turn. So I finally think I see my chance (I'm lookin right) but forget to look left. Right as I pull try to speed out and make my turn, I get clipped by a big van coming from the left going probably 35-40 miles per hour. I was really lucky in that it hit the front of my car right at about the wheel rather than T-boning me at the door. I'm in America by the way, so I was sitting on the left side of the car. All that happened was my head got knocked against the window. The other guy was fine. No air bags went off or anything. Had I gotten hit at the door, I don't know about it being fatal or anything, but it probably would have been ugly.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    When I was a youngster I dove into a shallow pool and hit my head on the bottom. Luckily it only knocked the wind out of me but it was pretty freaky, I was alone in my backyard and I couldn't breath, I figured I was done for.

this isn't technically a near death experience but I really believed my days where numbered: as a teen I was misdiagnosed as having a severe form of muscular dystrophy and was told I probably wouldn't live past my 18 birthday.
  • kleinluka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kleinluka polycounter lvl 18
    When I was 12 I was trying to cross a curved 2-lane street with my bicycle.... there was a car coming from the left which stopped for me to let me pass, she waved me over to cross and when I did, I didn't pay attention to traffic coming from the right side and didn't notice there was a car coming right at me....the girl in the car stepped on the breaks and the tires were sqeaking and I saw the car sliding towards me, slowly losing speed... it stopped maybe 5 feet away from me.

Then, something a bit more recent....last christmas when I flew back from Germany to Canada I had to switch planes in Amsterdam...When the plane took off from Amsterdam the weather outside was terrible. It was stormy and there was rain... You know, when a plane takes off and you can slowly see the houses and things becoming smaller and smaller as you gain height? Well our plane took off and the houses started becoming smaller but then suddenly we went straight through a thick black cloud of storminess (height was about 400 metres) and the plane started shaking like crazy... I had a window seat so I looked outside and I could see that the plane was dropping and VERY QUICKLY LOSING HEIGHT and the plane was slanting to the left and I could see the houses becoming bigger and bigger again... The whole thing took about 5 seconds before the pilot corrected it but I was so freaked out and people were screaming.

I am also quite regularly "nearly missed" by stupid car drivers in Montreal when I try to cross the street. People here can't drive worth shit...seriously.
  • Frank
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frank polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    And people wonder why I'm colourful.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I always figured it was just the scotch. tongue.gif

Frank the Avenger
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    when I was a kid I had a big racing bike , but it had a small back wheel and 'cowhorn' handlebars. it also had no brakes. We used ride down this amazing steep hill and fly off in to the traffic. I nearly hit a few cars , but had a worse near death experience when my mum saw my new shoes which were used as makeshift brakes.

fell out of a tree once and landed on my back, could n't breathe for what seemed like 10 minutes.i just reached up for this branch which was totally rotten. was only a small tree.