Home General Discussion

The Chronicles of Narnia

Jelmer
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Jelmer polycounter lvl 17
It was released in theatres today and I went to go and see it. It's a typical 'my kind of movie' I guess. English accents + fantasy genre for the win! The visual effects and cg creatures were amazingly believable and the whole setting rocked. The kid actors were pretty cool I guess, but 3 of the 4 didn't have any acting experience and just got casted for their appearance. Keep in mind that this movie is based on a kids book so it might be a little less interesting then Lord of the Rings for some of you. Non the less a great movie which you should deffinatly go check out!

Replies

• Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    Its grrrreat! It brings out the kid in you.
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    awesome. Me and my wife both loved it. It seemed very true to the book.
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    I loved it. For a "Kids movie" it's surprisingly effective. Go see it!

Scott
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    poops got me and my girlfriend and himself pre sceening tickets at the el capitan here in hollywood the night before it hit theaters. it was a pretty nice event.. there was an organ player playing old school movie music while we were all seating, the theater was decoratted by disney and had huge props from the movie up in the box seats. it even had a psycedelic lazer light show ontop of a painting of the gas lamp before it started..the best part was that like 20 guys from Rhythm and Hues that were there and got a cool introduction and they all stood up and got an awesome round of applause for the fabulous work they did on Aslyn..The atmosphere was really cool, i dont know if you have ever seen a movie in hollywood but its like going to a football game.. people were cheering and freaking out and cutting up.
    best outburst : some screamed GO LION!!! at the begining and then someone countered with GO WARDROBE!!!! the whole theater busted out in uncontrolable laughter..
    with that said the experience was great, the movie wasent too bad, i really enjoyed it.. but i was expecting a bit more.. i always liked the narnia books more than the LOTR books so part of me hoped inside that the movie would be better than the LOTR movies.. not the case.. still very entertaining and it really has some spectacular moments and wonderful shots.. just as a whole it dosent feel "epic" like it felt when i was reading the book..
  • Weiser_Cain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Weiser_Cain polycounter lvl 18
    I'm avoiding it to avoid inadvertently being turned into a christian.
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    good call Weiser, this is same reason i didnt see LOTR because its an obvious allagory for christ as well. and boy am i glad i never seen them because i heard they were horrible. considering CS Lewis and Tolkein were mates who shared the same views on their work and christianity its best nobody sees any of them.. i heard after lord of the rings hit theaters there were quadruple the number of christians in the world.. and now with narnia hitting theaters it is expected all who see the movie will instantly become christian with its special brainwashing magic they sprinkled on the film before it hit theaters.. and watch out!!!! jesus himself is even in the film, he has the coolest sword and biggest cock.. the whole movie is about him cutting sinners heads off and then raping their moms.. not one for the kiddies..

you probably shouldnt read any comics either because most marvel superheros have a faith of somekind.Spiderman is a Protestant Christian.
    Daredevil is a Catholic Christian. Superman is jewish, just like jesus!!What is that suppose to mean DC?? huh?

what a dumb reason not to see a movie..
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ha! That's one reason to not see it. Another reason for me is that I don't really like fantasy epics (I was only able to sit through LOTR because of the cinematography; the story did nothing for me, except bore me to death).
  • Dukester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dukester polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ha ha! Like a movie could do it!

Your only reason for posting in this thread was to derail this thread, which seems like your only reason for ever posting on these forums.

I haven't seen it yet, but I will.
  • Weiser_Cain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Or I could've been poking fun at the news stories of 'normal', 'rational' people converted after reading the book as if it was the second comming. The way the movie is being marketed is a major turn off to me but that's a minor factor, I don't think I'll like the movie and that's the final say on all movies.
    The matrix rips off a lot of religious themes, but I still watched it (repeatedly) and you know, it's one of the best kungfu movies I ever saw.
    Or maybe I'm just sick of little british kids.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    I wuv you Weiser.

Cuddly_bear_pink.jpg
  • LordScottish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LordScottish polycounter lvl 18
    I saw it yesterday and I love the movie. A lot more subtle fairy tale atmosphere than the lord of the rings movies but less epic size. I was really surprised, all the newspapers here wrote that the first hour of the movie is utterly boring. But in my case, I enjoyed the first hour almost more than the second one. The kids play really well and the meeting of lucy and the faun was ingenious.
    I'm going to see it again for sure laugh.gif
  • Weiser_Cain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well somebody's gotta'.
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    was a very good movie. smile.gif read the story for the first time a few hours before.

i liked how the White Witch used her wand and sword to fight and how she was wearing the mane of Aslan as a trophy during the final battle.
  • Paul Jaquays
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul Jaquays polycounter lvl 18
    Fantastic motion picture experience. I knew the story already, but was strongly moved by it nonetheless. The casting of the young actors was exceptional. I saw them as children, not as child actors portraying the characters (I had a similar reaction to the first Harry Potter film). The amount of emphasis on the battle scene was typical Hollywood, but I expect that it was payoff to the audience who didn't come to be moved by a great parable of redemption and salvation.

God Bless CGI!!!
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Great hollywood treatment of an old story. They totally broke 7 books into one film, but hey, it was well pulled off.

The lion was easily the most impressive, that fur was incredible.
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    Disney did a great job of telling the story. The visual effects were amazing, the Lion alone must a taken so long to get the hair to look right. The kids acting really bothered me, maybe because its a disney movie, so all children actors have to look and talk the same. Harry Potter has far better kid actors.

Visual effects were awesome, the battle was toned down compared to orcs fighting of LOTR. The fly over crowds seemed like the work of Weta Digital. Overall a good christmas film, now im waiting for King Kong laugh.gif
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    I thought the child actors were utter pish and that spoiled a lot of it. I'm surprised people liked them let alone labelled them exceptional ( unless you were meaning exceptionally bad but hey its all opinion).

I found myself feeling that it was a shame that so many powerhouses of the effects industry were thrown together on something so lacklustre.

I considered they might have been better off with a real lion and CGI children, at least then they would act.

Great CG, lovely set design, brilliant lion and all the usual brilliance you would expect from the effects houses involved but I'd rather let my wee girl watch Willy Wonka or the Aristocats or Mary Poppins or Toy Story or about a million other good childrens films rather than this because it just seemed like it was too dark to be for kids and too light to be for adults.

Still, it was worth it to see the armour designs and the black minotaur general and the rhino and the general mythology nods.

On a sidenote, as far as the story goes, has anyone else every considered it strange that someone would write a story thats an allegory for Jesus rallying together all the wonderfully varied forms of mythology his supporters stamped out through years of careful rewriting and ironfisted control?

Most things I read from historians or those that studied and then write about the pre christian mythologies and belief systems all talk sadly about the one god coming to stamp out the many.

I think people like Lewis and Tolkien and what not were very aware of these trends so it has struck me as an incongruity.

r.
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    for a second I thought you said the aristocrats, which is definitly no childrens movie
  • LordScottish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Rorshach: The bible explains those mythological creatures in the book of moses (1. moses, chapter 6, vers 4), so many christians will propably just take it for a fact. An objection christians may have against greek mythology is, that the people of those times thought of those creatures as gods or demigods, while they are not in the christian understanding.
    And historians in general don't have an interest in keeping the world the way it was, just because they study these times. But feel free to quote them here, I would be interested in it.
    I can't argue about the acting of the kids, but that's one of the few things that local newspapers liked about the movie smile.gif
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LS:Every celtic historian , researcher and purveryor of the mythology all talk about the christian scribes integrating the old mythologies into the good book and toning town and then twisting their meaning as a necessary means to the end of converting those uninterested in converting to the new faith.

Peter Beresford Ellis is the best of the author's if you are curious, he's the most balanced and well thought of and has a large amount of books to choose from.

I beleive the term for what the christian scribes did is bowdlerisation. An example of this would be Lug of the Long Arm, the previous Sun God to Jesus, after the monks rewrote him over the decades he bacame Leprechaun.

In the much the same way the Celtic Horned God was converted into Satan along with the Greek Pan and most previous mythologies freedom / fertility / nature gods in each culture the scribes turned their hand to.

I suppose the reason Celtic writers speak this way is that Christianity has almost killed the culture and it's considered very important now in the remaining celtic communities to try to create a renaissance before it just becomes another dead language and culture and the world becomes an increasingly less interesting place and loses all that knowledge.

But I've REALLY derailed here so yeah, nice effects, poor acting, preferred the original cartoon!

r.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was hoping for a bit more from the film as well.

I liked it overall. I feel it's a great movie, expecially for kids.

Though, the 'epic' feel was not there for me. It felt like a majority of the movie was on a movie set, especially the areas in the beginning of the film. There never was a sense of 'grandness'. Everything seemed to be 'right over there'.

When the compositing was bad, it was BAD. Especially when the kids are up on the cliff overlooking the frozen lake.

The battle scene was indeed awesome. I love seeing more than just humanoids fight, something I wish LOTRs had more of.

@LordScottish : What version of the bible are you refering to? I'm not big on bibles, so I can't find the book of moses.
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If I put a dude who gets killed and resurected in it, you could say that it is an alegory for Jesus. Or it could be that I thought it was cool.

The fact is there aren't many christian friendly books, and even fewer that are good. Of course christians are going to take credit for those books, but I think there is little in the story that promotes christianity. Maybe Santa?

I think it would be more accurate to saw Lewis cribbed some story elements from the bible (as well as the greek mythos)
  • LordScottish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There is too much assumption in your post to answer in a helpful manner. Everything you posted is an opinion of certain authors and there are many historians who do not share the belief that the books of the bible have their roots in celtic mythology at all. I can't tell what the majority opinion is in this case though.
    Maybe you were not talking about the christians scribes but the catholic church? There we obviously have influences from other cultures, talking about the christmas tree in the first place smile.gif
    This is obviously off topic, but I though your post is in need of an answer because it was written as if it was indisputable history

@skankerzero: It should be in any bible, here is the small text. This one was taken from the king james version. If it is against the rules to post these, I'll remove it as soon as possible, I'm not sure if it's ok wink.gif "Sons of god" in this passage could be anything which is directly created by god himself. This includes the bad ones.

"There were giants in the earth in those days; and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bore children to them, the same became mighty men which were of old, men of renown."
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LS: Either I explained badly or you misread but I wasn't saying that Christianity had its roots in Celtic Mythology.

I was saying (inbrief) was that other cultures mythology were sometimes converted into stories about Jesus as a way to win those that beleived in other religions, over to Jesus and that because Narnia is a story where some of those old religions characters are part of the jesus allegory, I wondered if people who were uneducated about the actions of christianity might consider the inclusion of what they might consider heathen or pagan religions characters to be wrong or an incongruity and certainly CS Lewis would have known this.

As example, most Celtic myths consist of what you would consider to be a Disney fairy tale , but with more blood and killing heh. However, once the scribes got in on the act, half of these Celt heroes were meeting Jesus and swearing they wouldn't kill folk anymore because that was bad.

It was a dramatic change sometimes wink.gif

So you see, you've taken a defensive approach to my comments when there was no offensive. I was just looking for a response more similiar to Ninjas last sentence, ie someone elses theory.

r.
  • LordScottish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's propably my mistake, english isn't my native tongue. I didn't want to appear offensive, sorry mate smile.gif
    I think it's because I mixed scribes up with authors confused.gif
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey no problem LS, I can often misread people too, generally though, on this subject, which I continue to read up on, I'm simply curious as to what other people's world views are.

r.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    ...but I think there is little in the story that promotes christianity. Maybe Santa?

[/ QUOTE ]

Santa's roots are pagan, aren't they?
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No. Santa was known as "Uncle Nick" when he would frequent a young Jesus' house. He and Joseph worked together at the steel mill and would often car-pool. Many historians believe that Uncle Nick's strong moral code was of great influence during Jesus' formative years. When babysitting Mr. Clause would often make Jesus and his brothers sit on his lap and tell them what they wanted for their birthdays. The other children, having more sense or perhaps just a greater capacity for mistrust, would run away. Jesus, however, would always dutifully climb up and tell him what he wanted when the 25 came around. Once this was discovered Joseph chased Old Nick out of town. No one would hire him after that and he was forced to go abroad for work, eventually winding up in the North Pole.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    If I put a dude who gets killed and resurected in it, you could say that it is an alegory for Jesus. Or it could be that I thought it was cool.

The fact is there aren't many christian friendly books, and even fewer that are good. Of course christians are going to take credit for those books, but I think there is little in the story that promotes christianity. Maybe Santa?

I think it would be more accurate to saw Lewis cribbed some story elements from the bible (as well as the greek mythos)

[/ QUOTE ]

It couldn't possibly the fact that Lewis was a known Christian, with several other books that are much less allegorical and very clear in his allegiance to Christ and the church, that makes Christians claim the book is based on the Bible.

But please, don't let the facts get in the way of your religious insults.

I really enjoyed the movie. I had a great sense of wonderment at the beginning as Narnia was first discovered. I grinned for most of the movie. I really had a good time letting my childish personality run free within the visual world created on the big screen.
    poop.gif
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have no doubt that C.S. Lewis wrote "christian" books. I just have my doubts about whether the Narnia books count. After all, I read the first one twice (when I was young) and didn't see any connection to the bible. Now I am older, and as I mentioned in my post, I see how some of the events in the story are inspired by the bible, but what does that mean really? I think not much.

And Poop. Believe me, if you are betting that I don't know what I'm talking about you are going to lose. I don't know why you chose to flame me, but unless passages about "accepting Christ as your personal savior" (the minimum requirement to be Christian by most standards) have shown up in the book since I read it last, I really don't think you have a point.
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Er... the lion dies for the wee lad's sins and is reborn, sounds familiar Ninjas! smile.gif

r.
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How many times do I have to say that I can see the parts that are the same?

Okay. I have a story.

There was this guy, Bob. Bob lived on a diet of nothing but dog shit. Then some terrorist took a hostage. The terrorist said "I'm killing this dude because his people are living in my holy land!", but then Bob said "no! Kill me in his place". Bob got shot in the head but came back to life 3 days later!

The end.

Question: Is my story "Christian"?
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sounds like it to me aye, but not a very good one though smile.gif

r.
  • Matabus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matabus polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]

There was this guy, Bob. Bob lived on a diet of nothing but dog shit. Then some terrorist took a hostage. The terrorist said "I'm killing this dude because his people are living in my holy land!", but then Bob said "no! Kill me in his place". Bob got shot in the head but came back to life 3 days later!

The end.

[/ QUOTE ]

This story is WAY better than that rediculous Narnia bologna.
  • Striff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Striff polycounter lvl 18
    I saw the movie and loved it.

I thought it was a litte slow in some parts...but pretty fast paced over all.

Casting Tilda Swinton for The White Witch has got to be the best casting job I have seen in a while, she was absolutly perfect for the role.
  • LordScottish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Ninjas: You should read Lewis biography, there you'll propably read a few of his letters he wrote to answer questions of children. The way he answers those makes it very clear, that the allegory was one of the most important parts of narnia. I didn't know that either, but since the movie started they have a short bio of Lewis in almost every magazine here smile.gif
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    On a sidenote, as far as the story goes, has anyone else every considered it strange that someone would write a story thats an allegory for Jesus rallying together all the wonderfully varied forms of mythology his supporters stamped out through years of careful rewriting and ironfisted control?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm no C.S. Lewis expert but I read that C.S. Lewis was an athiest with a love of mythology before converting to chrisianity.

I saw the movie and loved it, I really have to go back and read the books and watch the cartoon again
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Santa as you know him was invented by Coca-Cola, he is based on some (German?) saint.
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    having never read the books, i really enjoyed it. i think moreso than i did LotR.

children did feel like kids being there as someone said,though bad acting at times (threatening the wolf) and didnt feel like siblings too often.
    yeah the compositing was bad at times, cant put the poor little kids out on a real hillside tongue.gif

tilda was awesome. aslan was really cool. the big battle was cool, like it more than the LotR ones, probably the mixture of creatures.