Home General Discussion

What graphic novels do you recommend?

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
steady polycounter lvl 18
My local comic shop is having a 25% off sale of all graphic novels. I picked up "Watchmen", and a cool unknown I knew about called "Semantic Lace." Thinking about getting the recent collection of "Ultimates".
Any recommendations for MUST HAVES?
wink.gif

Replies

• rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    I recently read Doom patrol- crawling from the wreckage and really really enjoyed it
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    Marvel 1602
    Batman Year One
    Long Halloween
    Conan, by Kurt Busiek and Cary Nord
    DKR
    Ex Machina
    Fables
    Hard Time
    Kinetic
    Kingdom Come
    Loki, by Rob Rodi
    Planetary
    Powers
    Punisher, Ennis' current run is the best so far, imo.
    Sentinel
    Sleeper
    Space Ghost
    Superman: Birthright
    Supreme Power
    Trinity
    Wanted
    Wildcats V2 and Wildcats 3.0
    Y The Last Man
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    There are a couple of books for Bean World that I like a lot. Maus, and the first few Bone books are good. Dark Night Rerurns is probably the coolest comic to have Superman in it...
    Then there is manga.
  • b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    Marine as a good list.

The ultimates is a sure WIN tho. YUS!
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 19
    ninjas- the beanworld books rock!!! that guy (l.marder?) went on to head up image for a few years, if I remember correctly.

if you liked watchmen, any older Alan Moore is pure gold;
    V for Vendetta, From Hell, The old swamp things, if you can find them.
    maus is good, but depressing
    the first few bone books are pretty awesome
    The akira books are good too.
    the first Death graphicnovel is REALLY good, it's short, and actually NOT very gothy.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Other than whats already been recommended.. (And I assume you mean collected books versus individual issues)

-Maus (1&2)
    -Moonshadow
    -Eastman and Lairds Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles(original 1-12).
    -Bone
    -Transmetropolitain
    -Kabuki
    -Dawn... (any of the series are good and you will oggle over Joseph Michael Linsers work)..
    -Ariel
    -Hulk: Future Imperfect.. (One of Peter David's best swings to the whole Hulk mythos)
    -Fax from Sarajevo
    -Strangers in Paradise (earlier ones)
    -Tick (original Ben Edlund run, you will laugh your head off)

Try also looking through DC Elseworld graphic novels.. Some of those stories can be quite good.
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    Very good lists all. But I cant belive no one has mentioned Neil Gaiman's Sandman Series. A milestone in comics to be sure. And any and all hellboys you can find!
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    can't go wrong with some 2000AD
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    Everything by Masamune Shirow...
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    Maus, Watchmen, and Dark Knight Returns are the equivalent of the classics... but after that it's all depending on taste. Hellboy TPBs are perhaps the most cherished of my collection.
  • Nerd Groupie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nerd Groupie polycounter lvl 18
    If you like Alan Moore, I suggest Promethea. I dug it.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    Insofar as must-haves, of things not mentioned here I'd add the original Astro City limtied series TPB.
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    Planetary
    Lucifer
    Promethea
    Top10
    AstroCity
    Sandman
    HellBlazer
    Cerebus
    Books of Magic
    Transmetropolitan
    Next Men
    Global Frequency
    Authority
    Invisibles
    Mr Punch
    Violent Cases
    Black Orchid
    V for Vendetta
    Captain Britain
    Watchmen
    Murder Mysteries
    StarDust
    The Filth
    The Last Temptation
    Judge Dredd
    Halo Jones
    Nemesis
    DR and Quinch
    Preacher
    Foolkiller
    Concrete
    Doom Patrol
    Animal Man
    Strontium Dog
    StormWatch
    Orbiter
    Lazarus Churchyard

That's probably enough options.

r.
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    have any of you read Katsuya Terada's Monkey King? is it any good? Ive been hankering to buy it just for the art.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Get the entire series of Battle Angel: Alita
  • pogonip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pogonip polycounter lvl 18
    You'll love Metabarons ..best comic ever ..

Ghost Rider it's pretty lame ..get the Journey to the West anime ..it's a lot better if you want Monkey King action
  • Erol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Erol polycounter lvl 18
    ghost_rider > I just picked up Monkey King today. It makes little sense, in any language. The art is badass, though. Definitely worth it, imho, if you're a Terada fan.

steady > I was pleasently surprised by Bone after finally getting around to reading it. There's a single (huge) collected volume with all of it. I definitely recommend that.
  • Gmanx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    Glad to see someone mentioned cerberus - thanx Ror. Mr Moore is one writer to watch for (on older titles - as has been said). I also enjoyed Elektra Assassin (Miller/Sienkiewicz)and Ronin (Miller). My all time fave though - Violent Cases (Gaiman/McKean). OOooh, and Marshall Law (Mills/O'Neill). Oooh and Luther Arkwright (Talbot).
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Katsuya Terada's stuff is good, but I'm not yet seen any graphic novels by him.

I always hankered to pick up anything by frank quietly
  • doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
    per, Graphitti Designs has english language versions of some of the Blueberry books for sale on their site. Are they worth $45 a piece?
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    hellboys and creature tech
  • b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Greg, Hermann, Franquin, Uderzo and Gotlib

[/ QUOTE ]

oh omg Per, how the fuck do u know thoses classics!, Thoses were my favorate as a teen, Fuck Gotlib, Best Dark humor ever, Franquin, FACK the bestest Ever!, Spirou Baby!

U KNOW!
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uderzo

Asterik and Obelix! laugh.gif
  • b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    OMG ya Fraquin, is "noir" serie, was INSANE

Oh Its Marsupilami!

Omg I had all the Spirou Fraquin collection, UGE book, I had the dark pages in 1 full UGE book. God it was good time, I got to get thoses book back, Was such a Nice read.. My gotlib collection is in top condition too. Uderzo stuff too. Even Herg
  • TelekineticFrog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TelekineticFrog polycounter lvl 18
    Didn't see it mentioned but the Hellboy Junior book was really great. For that matter any of the Hellboy trades are great, not sure if they're throwing in trades with graphic novels at your shop but they usually are. 100 Bullets is always good as well.
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    I can't believe no one mentioned any of the Sin City books - or did I just overlook it?
  • b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    Oh ya blueberry, I know that too.

There was a time when I was reading a lot of Euro comics. or Bande dessin
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    mirroring some fromt he list here, but here are some of my favs, in no order:

Preacher
    Rising Stars (JMS)*******(money)
    Midnight Nation (JMS)
    Transmetropolitan
    Curse of Spawn seris (not sure if they're all collected anywhere)
    Sam and Twitch
    Astro City
    Invisibles
    Batman: Year 1
    Dark Knight Returns
    DK2

Malekyth and Rorshach have been suggesting stuff to me for a while, id take what they have to say seriously smile.gif
  • bearkub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bearkub polycounter lvl 18
    Mal doesn't "suggest," he crams it down your throat with a great force. Easier to digest that way, I say.

=D
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    its all a matter of perspective i guess. you just gotta cram back sometimes. *cough* rising stars
  • Dukester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dukester polycounter lvl 18
    any and all of Love and Rockets
  • Option
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Option polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I can't believe no one mentioned any of the Sin City books - or did I just overlook it?

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought the same thing. Definitely, READ SIN CITY!
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't believe Dukester just said that...
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I should probably admit that I'm the one that indoctrinated Mal to the throat stuffing approach wink.gif

r.
  • Malekyth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malekyth polycounter lvl 18
    It's true. I still have a half-digested copy of the Invisibles lodged in my gullet, which causes me to belch fiery clouds of anti-authoritarian conspiracy theories when I least expect it! That's how my first wife died.

I would add a few to the Rorshach and moosey lists: the Jenny Sparks (aka chain-smoking British babe from Stormwatch and the Authority) one-shot, Kurt Busiek's Marvels (I dare you not to cry at the end) and 100 Bullets. The first 100 Bullets book is required reading, the others optional, but goddammit, read the first one! It's excellent.

There are a couple I might cull from both lists but I won't detail them up here, submissively baring my neck to Ror's heathen temper and violent love of Grant Morrison, post-religion Dave Sim, and post-intelligible Alan Moore!
  • Dukester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dukester polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't believe Dukester just said that...

[/ QUOTE ]

but, but, but why?
    I bought the first issue brand spanking new at Lone Star Comics and never looked back!
    I have always been a Jaime and Gilbert Hernandez afficiando as long as they have been around! smile.gif

My drawing style had three major influences. When I was young it was totally Neal Adams and Jim Aparo. It's still there, but Jaime completely changed the way I drew. Less is more, Archie influenced, sharpie looking drawings. I loved them so much I didn't care that he made Maggie get fat. Gilbert's drawing style was ok, but it did nothing for me. His story telling on the other hand was nothing short of genius.

I stopped buying these sometime in the early-mid 90's, but I might just pick up where I left off by buying the graphic novels.

Shit I might just go back and reread all of them first smile.gif
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    any fans of morrison and quitely really should get we3, only three issues, but it's a great story.
    darwyn cooke's new frontier rocks too.
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grant Morrison once cancelled a games industry meeting becase he had taken super acid in the highlands and whilst breaking through interdimensional rifts things got a bit hairy...

If that isn't the sort of role model we all want to expose ourselves to the ideas of, what is I ask you Mal? smile.gif

As for Dave, well, once he starts dividing the King James bible into male and female, you know he's lost it and even I stopped reading. Though he's jokingly referred the loyal cerebus readership as tattered and torn and having had a hard time, heh, he doesn't know the half of it, he makes it so hard to like him .

r.
  • steady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    steady polycounter lvl 18
    I went to the shop today, I saw MAUS but it seemed too heavy for me right now. I picked up the first volume of the Ultimates and looked for Dark Knight Returns but they didn't have any in stock unfortunately. I managed to find "Marshal Law" and after reading about 5 pages it is pretty badass.

Hooray comic nerds!
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    steady: 'I hunt heroes, haven't found any yet' smile.gif

r.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    per: thank you for bringing up the exceedingly strong western european tradition of graphic novels, it is indeed a rich tradition that most yanks barely get a peek at. i'd wish that more of it were translated.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    damn, most the stuff I'd recommend has been covered. The Walking Dead is a pretty good one, it's standard Romero-rules zombies but a damn good read. Whiteout is a good crime drama set in Antartica (why haven't they made a movie out of this?)

I recently picked up Sinister Dexter: Murder 101, it's pretty funny and over the top, typical 2000AD crazyness.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh..

Ghost World
  • Ooghijmiqtxxa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ooghijmiqtxxa polycounter lvl 17
    Kingdom Come
    The Walking Dead
    Cable & Deadpool
    Y: The Last Man
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    yah sin city is ownage...

as for european authors :

Herg
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    BTW does anyone know if there is english translation of SkyDoll??
    I always wanted to read it but my french/italian/etc are on the moon and wont come back to me frown.gif
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just picked up 2000ad for the first time in ages, I was startled into purchase by the fact that it had more than 10 pages!
  • Gmanx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    2000ad rocks. I'm currently digging through my old shit looking for my RoboHunter special. This thread's got me all dewey eyed for it!!
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    is that the one drawn by the halo jones guy? loved his style. The cartridge Pen that smokes cigars, is the only image I have in my mind.

My obvious favorite was Judge Inaba (Shimura) by Frank Quietly. Not too keen on his new stuff (xmen, superman) because it's digitally inked. And possibly digitally pen'd too. actually I wasn't really into his Judge Dredd and Misionary strips. I guess he really nailed it for me with Shimura, even though its only a few progs long.
  • Gmanx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    Sam Slade, RoboHunter. He had a 'robo stogie' cigar which was supposed to help him quit smoking! Yeah it was drawn by the same guy.

http://www.internationalhero.co.uk/s/slade.htm