Home General Discussion

Newcastle, UK

PaK
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
PaK polycounter lvl 18
Are there any Polycounters in Newcastle, UK? Is it a fun place? I've heard some bad stuff, but i wanted to get a broader perspective.

-R

Replies

• Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Dirty. Racist. The population is generally thick.

If your hobbies are football and wifebeating you'll fit right in.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    oi watch it mate. newcastle is much changed these days. True there are a lot of yobbos in some areas, but which major city doesnlt have that?.
    Expensive to rent and buy houses there now. good pubs/nightlife etc, lots of curry houses, places to eat. not far from the seaside also
    if you drive up the coast a few miles towards northumberland, you have some beautiful scenery and a bit further then you have holy island.
    Don't go too far or you will end up in edinburgh which you would want to avoid (full of porridge eating loons)
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    haha yeah I'd hardly say ricks comments are a fair asessment. Bit too general there mate. Of course you get some yobs, but I've yet to see a city without any.

I'm very happy to live here, agree with you Ruz.
  • thnom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thnom polycounter lvl 18
    Isn't MoP from Newcastle?

It has one of the strongest UK accents which even I struggle to understand.. for whatever reason you are going; I'd try and somehow get to listen to accent so I knew what I was in for.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    lets just say the rest of the population has little aspiration to go there
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, I lived there for 6 years smile.gif
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    Newcastle is a bit posher these days, just look at the house prices there now.
    Thats the main thing that put me off moving there a few years back.
    Being from the north east myself, I find people just think of gazza when they think of newcastle( which is a shame).

hmm don't know why am defending here as i am a wearsider, not a tynesider.
  • firestarter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    firestarter polycounter lvl 18
    I had a really pleasant week in Newcastle once upon a time, loved the place, very relaxed friendly people, no hint of the `terrible north` hype/slagging...
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    I hear Newcastle isn't too bad (unless you are a scouse), but don't venture down here to Middlesbrough, Rick already described the nice part of it.
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    Newcastle is a fantastic city, while the city and weather may swirl together into a grey haze at times, theres nothing grey or lifeless about the people.

I found the place to be probably the most fun city I've lived in over the years and its a great place to go out on the town, have a drink, meet strangers and have a laugh as the people are down to earth and really aren't interested in anything more elitist than having drink and wasting money on poor fashion sense.

It's a working class industrial city that is going through a change as the industrial side continues to die down and other forms of buisness take over. Much like glasgow after the shipyards closed down, the city is being cleaned up and people are moving back into the town centres and reclaiming the real estate for accomadation.

I'd recommend Newcastle to anyone, likewise the Geordies themselves.... the weather is shite though I'll choose a warm atmosphere over a sunny town full of cold hearted scum wink.gif

r.
  • jzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jzero polycounter lvl 18
    So, the natives pronounce the name like, what, "Nuk-sall"?

/jzero
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Aye, I'm a Geordie. Good call on the weather guys, it's usually pretty grey. If you like shopping it's a fantastic city centre, also if you pubbing/clubbing, there's loads of choice for a night out (the city has won awards for culture and nightlife).

Some areas are a bit dodgy but the same goes for any city really. Just avoid the kids with greasy foreheads and burberry-check caps.

jzero: It's "the toon" smile.gif
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    The best part about this thread is that Ruz actually typed out "oi". My refined American sensibilities are chuckling over that one.
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wahey mon, ye gannin doon tha toon like?

r.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Also, If you're into hiking ( not to mention Roman history ) PaK then the north east has some of the best in the UK. I once walked alongside Hadrian's wall from one side of the country to the other, and it still stands out as being amongst the most breathtaking scenery I've ever seen.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    I read once that the UK has more and more distinct dialects than America. Considering the geography disparity, that seemed unlikely to me, but I've never come across an American I couldn't understand reasonably well. Some British accents... I'm not sure they'r even using the same alphabet.
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alpha what now?

r.
  • PaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    Had my haircut by a guy in dallas...I couldn't understand a word he said. I treid too...hard!

So thx guys for the input. That is a gorgous picture daz.

-R
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I read once that the UK has more and more distinct dialects than America. Considering the geography disparity, that seemed unlikely to me, but I've never come across an American I couldn't understand reasonably well. Some British accents... I'm not sure they'r even using the same alphabet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure it is true, in many places you can just head a few miles in one direction and be confronted with a fairly different accent.

But if you want to be confused have a talk with a welshy.
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    try goin to alabama and orderin food at a macdonalds

here in Texas, I have yet to find a single person, local or foreign that I've had trouble understanding, but on my way to Florida we stopped for a cheeseburger, and I had to talk to 2 more people before I figured out what the fuck was goin on smile.gif
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    Rick, I lived in sunderland for 2 years . Now that is a rough place, though good for a drink or two.
    middlesbrough is a war zone and should be avoided at all costs

Funny though I moved away from the north east back in '93 and my accent has more or less remained the same since.
    hmm it's a bad job when i get predjudice from brummies smile.gif
  • spacemonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spacemonkey polycounter lvl 18
    Newcastle is great, there's alot of culture there now.. much better than Birmingham smile.gif Great architecture in the city centre too.
    Of course my dads family are from Gateshead, so it does help with understanding everyone later on a Friday night.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    That's where John Constantine got a little girl eaten by a demon. England's crawling with demons and monsters, scary place.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz - yeah, I lived in Newcastle and worked in Sunderland for close to 3 years. I worked in the NHS and pasrt of my job was visting health centres in the housing estates.

When I lived there the levels of racism were beyond belief (of course, 5 years later I was living in Batley that was alost a 50/50 split between asians and the National Front (I exaggerate of course)

I loved Newcastle for the fist year or so, a big city with lots to do, but then again I was a hick from the sticks, nowhereville Northern Ireland. A shopping centre would have excited me.
  • thnom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thnom polycounter lvl 18
    My family is originally from Sunderland (Great Grandad). Never been to Newcastle/Sunderland. I do plan on visiting some of the bigger cities for nights out within the next 3 year smile.gif
  • FAT_CAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FAT_CAP polycounter lvl 18
    Im in Newcastle. Games company wise it is OK - most of the places are producing racing/ car games: Midway Newcastle, Eutechnyx, Reflections etc although Venom produced some great Rocky games for the XBOX. There are some smaller companies around aswell working on various projects.

Nightlife is varied but getting better. Most of the bars and clubs caters for the massmarket charver (chav) culture but there are some nice alternatives, especially during university term time. Theres some great restaurants and the Quayside is undergoing extensive development and is a pretty desirable place to live and just generally chill out and relax with a beer.

It is missing alot of the things that a really big city such as London or Manchester has such as the diversity but you cant have everything!
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    [ QUOTE ]
    There are some smaller companies around aswell working on various projects

[/ QUOTE ]
    mere-mortals, producers of fine boardgame and darts related electronic entertainment! tongue.gif
  • FAT_CAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FAT_CAP polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    There are some smaller companies around aswell working on various projects

[/ QUOTE ]
    mere-mortals, producers of fine boardgame and darts related electronic entertainment! tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Hahah - Im keeping my mouth shut on that one!