Home General Discussion

Train tunnel ear aches

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
nitzmoff polycounter lvl 18
I now take the train to work everyday. It's a nice, fairly peaceful ride with one exception. When traveling through tunnels I'll develop an immdeiate and quite often, intense ear ache. Usually they subside after a few seconds upon exiting the tunnel, but lately they last long after and give me quite a headache.

I know the problem is related to tympanic pressure and can often be remedied (though dangerously so) by closing your mouth, pinching your nose and blowing. This has not worked for me.

Anyone know a a potential fix to this problem short of wearing a deepdive helmet?

Replies

• Soccerman18
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Soccerman18 polycounter lvl 18
    Swallowing or chewing gum can help. If it's really bad then maybe you should get your ears checked by a doc.
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    Tststs, those trains in the US...

Nice trains here in Germany (especially the ICE 3) can travel though tunnels with over 300Km/h and you will not even notice a single bit of pressure (they need bullet-proof glass for that though, otherwise the windows would explode) tongue.gif

Yeah, but chewing gum should help.
  • nitzmoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Unfortuneatly I do not chew gum, not in the last 12 years or so anyway. If I understand correctly though, it's only a remedy in as much as periodically swallowing is, as that reduces inner ear pressure.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Nitzmoff: I know a guy who had a benign tumor in his ear that prevented him from operating normally with a pressure change.
    He couldnt fly, or scubadive, etc. He had it removed and has been great ever since apparently.
  • nitzmoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, I certainly hope it isn't a tumor. I doubt it though, as I fly at least twice a year and have never had a problem.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    There's really not much you can do about it apart from swallow periodically, I'm afraid. It does work though.
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    there is a technique used by divers and its really hard to explain, but when i got my divers certification i learned how to release the air in my ears.. first step is to move your ears back. the only way i can explan is to try and move your forhead up till it gets all wrinkely, this also moves the ears back some.. next is a bit trickier cause it takes place almost in your ear, and you can sometimes luck out and flex the muscle needed when you open your mouth really wide. it will make a faint crackely sound. i am guessing this is where chewing gum would help, because you could accedently flex the muscle..but the combination of moving the position of the ear and flexing the muscle that is near the inner ear creates a gap that water or air could pass through and push out any pressure that happens to build up in there..
    wish i could explain it better.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Yawning works. The part that's interesting to you is the pull on the rear part of the jaw, you don't need to open your mouth. Feels a bit like you're trying to pull the rear part of the jaw downwards while keeping the front in place. I've learned this because my ear canals have slime in them, forcing me to periodically open them and I really should see the doc on that again.
  • Sean McBride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sean McBride polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, arsh got it. I use to have horrible ear infections as a kid so i pretty much know whats going on with my ears at all times now... Somehow you can open the tubes to stablize the pressure. Yawning is the best way to figure out the general area of the muscle.

As a kid I had tiny eustation tubes so i feel your pain man... Maybe something has been bothering them and they are swollen? probobly should get it checked out.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My wife has the same issues with presure changes. Flying is a nightmare for her but she gets thru it. I asked what she does to get past it and this is what she had to say.

Open your mouth like you are yawning, push your jaw out as far as possible like you have an under bite. Try to wiggle your ears or tuck them behind your head. You need to use the mucles in your head not just move your ears around with your hands.

I think its the same thing Arshelvon is talking about.
  • Weiser_Cain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Weiser_Cain polycounter lvl 18
    I can do that diving thing sort of. I just do it, totaly in the ear, no tricks. sounds like someone's blowing in your ear. You should be able to as well unless I'm some sort of freak.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    I got this once on a short flight from germsny to england.

chew gum or sweets or something. theres your soloution right there, and many people have said it.

I often massage the back of my jaw and wiggle it side to side.
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    What I found that helps (from pressurising the other way for scuba diving) is when you are doing whatever you do (yawn, chew etc.) is to straighten your neck out like you are trying to be taller than you are, then tilt your head to one side like trying to touch your ear to your shoulder. Do this and chew etc. and it should help because it will help open up the tubes on that side. Then repeat with the head tilted on the other side.

I had a big problem trying to pressurise when scuba diving until my instructor told me about that. Then, no problems so I tried it for releasing pressure too and it helped. Hope it works for you.
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18