Home General Discussion

Nintendo shows the ladies how its done...

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
Well its probably more or less the first concept that everyone thought of when the DS with its touch screen was announced in some form or another. I never thought they'd actually do it.

Behold Lapis
http://ds.ign.com/articles/674/674221p1.html

Replies

• hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    interesting!

I'm waiting for the PDA and Electronic Japanese / English . English / Japanese Kanji dictionary. Even if it costs more than £60, I'm sold. That stylus is perfect for scribling kanji I can't understand.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    I dont think its a bad thing at all. However, to avoid lawsuits if it ever saw the light of day would require notification of its true purpose. It would also be sold online only as Walmart wouldnt touch it..

Edit: Ohh, one of her original ideas was a Octavia E. Butler book.. Sweet.. This woman rocks.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Whats that on the horizon? Look! It's a lead balloon trying to take off! Ut-Oh it just burst into flames...

"The hope is that the game would entertain females - without them ever needing to understand the sex metaphor. But at some point when they did start figuring out the connection to their own sexuality and pleasure, they would have learned some ideas and techniques behind sexual satisfaction."
    The cat is already out of the bag. The only thing that would sell the game is the "taboo factor". What a dumb idea, market it as a cutesie game with a hidden sexual metaphor but don't tell anyone about the metaphor until they are 50% of the way thru it. Parents, no need to actually have "the talk" with your kids just have them play games with implied metaphors.

Every soccer mom west of the Atlantic ocean would run for thier pitch forks and torches.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Again Vig, limit where it sells and make it apparent its purpose. I guess it depends on background, but sexual education in childhood helped me and my siblings.

I know especially for a female having such a education on their own body would help them and their mates down the line have gratifying sexual relationships.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    this would sell well in europe and japan, I guess
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In theory its a great idea. However since the US is so backward about sex and even more so backward about games and who plays them. I think the soccer mom backlash would be of biblical proportions.

If you make a game, even if its rated M with clear warning lables, locked behind the counter in a concrete bunker, guarded by tanks and navy seals. The fact that it is a "game" tells 95% of the American public its for people 12 and under.

It's pretty clear in America you don't teach your kids about sex, ever. If you are a parent you tell yourself that your childerns genitals disapeared shortly after they where potty trained. That way they stumble, uprepared, into a drunken frat party to get a crash corse Sex Ed.

In theory its a great idea, but we are along way away from the socitiey that would actually benefit from a game like this. Personally I think its a great idea and if I had kids that where of the right age I might even force them to play it. But the general public isn't ready...
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    Btw, am I the only one who reads a lesbian undertone out of the page linked in the article? (Just noticing, no 'moral' intention from me by mentioning it)
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

look at this sodding great list of games for the DS, all released but only a 3rd of them make it out of Japan!

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-14-71-9g-77-1.html

I thought America was the most highly sexed country? People seem to talk about it frankly enough. I'm sure I watched some documentary about it once.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    I thought America was the most highly sexed country?

[/ QUOTE ]

sexual frustrated country.
  • steady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    steady polycounter lvl 18
    how about a game where there is a close up of a vagina on screen and you have to poke about to find the magical G-spot
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    BUT with funny sound effects and comments by the owner of the vagina laugh.gif
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    I bet this game will be hard pressed to be considered even mildly fun, and will only sell because of its hidden meaning which will no doubt be publicized quite a bit to boost sales.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Oh, come on, Nintendogs sold huge, they'll probably be able to give this at least some interesting gameplay.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    That magical spot is inside the vagina you dork! :P

Sounds like a great idea. When it comes to sex education, kids today (at least in america) are kept in the dark. Parents fear that their small innocent babies will ever EVER become sexual beings (this article about a prototype is proof of that). That leaves teenagers to reckless experimenting. Hell, couples are married for years and still have no clue what they're doing down there.

If a video game is more effective than placing a condom on a banana, and showing old 70's VHS tapes about kids seeing monkey privates, then I don't see a problem.

Many games in the industry designed with gameplay that appeals to women have become some of the most innovative games in history loved by both genders. Such as Pacman (eating), TheSims (family life), Katamari (cleaning), Nintendogs (puppies!)...etc.

Guy games (blow shit up) laugh.gif
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    In a america, we fear kids having sex so much that we tell them nothing about it in hopes that they wont try it. This idea was used for drugs aswell, see how well that worked. Kids in america are haveing sex at a yournger age because parents refuse to teach them about it. Making a game to teach them would be a bad idea, very bad! Gmaes are fun and cool so something fun and cool teaching a kid about sex would make sex fun and cool. The idea is to make kids think sex is not fun and not cool untill they are mature enough to think freely about it and realise that they were missled. At that point they are mature enough mentaly to try it.

So a game that teaches sex would be a very bad idea, its just as bad of an idea as leaving it all up to word of mouth from their friends.
  • Kevin Albers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Albers polycounter lvl 18
    I doubt that this game idea/prototype was ever intended to be something that actually got produced as a retail game. I'm pretty sure it was just intended as sort of a "concept piece" of game design.

I think it's pretty darn funny and clever.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    tgz: I dont think this game is sex education. It doesnt literally teach you about the mechanics of sex and tell you that the penis goes in the vagina, not da butt. The game is about tickling little bunny rabbits. It ALLUDES to sex, but its not gonna really educate anyone.

besides, did anyone here NOT have sex education classes in elementary school?
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think it's less about sex and more about masturbation.
  • Sean McBride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sean McBride polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, seems more to be education about the female body.... which to be honest this world could use more of... some guys are just absolutely retarted.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    True, but i do see games as a way of teaching kids about things that the parents dont want to teach them about. So maybe not his concept but maybe one down the line. Say on a leap frog sys.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I actually got my sex ed from my church as kid.. Pretty in depth including showing couples both straight and gay pleasing one another along with discussions on contraceptions and stds.

Of course, I was raised a Unitarian Universalist.
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    Btw, am I the only one who reads a lesbian undertone out of the page linked in the article? (Just noticing, no 'moral' intention from me by mentioning it)

[/ QUOTE ]

I got that impression too.. not sure why.

the idea is interesting, but as far as where she took it...
    it's simply nintendogs with bunnies... I've never met a female who is sexually stimulated by bunnies. This 'release' that sends them flying is interesting, but it's still just nintendogs with bunnies.

• KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It seems like the goal is to make the bunnies go flying and each level has a different bunny that needs a different treatment.

Of course it's not meant to stimulate directly, it's meant to teach them how to stimulate themselves.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    i rather wait for "stimulate the colossus" where you have to crawl all over huge creatures to find and stimulate their most sensitive areas wink.gif
  • Nerd Groupie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nerd Groupie polycounter lvl 18
    If I had left it up to my schooling, I would have turned out a lot differently. We had the special class in fifth grade, but all that did was explain periods to us. Didn't have an "official" sex ed class until I was in 10th grade. I'd already been dating a guy for a year by that point that pressured me daily to have sex with him. If it hadn't been for my mother being very open with me and answering any question I had, well! I just don't get the parents with the ostrich in the sand syndrome. Then they wonder how their 12 year old got gonorrhea and is playing with those sex bracelets.

As for the game itself, I'd have to see it to know if I'd want to play it. :P Looks damn adorable. But I am totally reminded of the sex ed video from the Simpsons with Fuzzy and Fluffy bunny, haha.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    It doesnt literally teach you about the mechanics of sex and tell you that the penis goes in the vagina, not da butt.

[/ QUOTE ]

*Now* ya tell me!

I think this is a storm in a teacup though, since this is clearly a concept/research project and not much more. It's not like she has a publisher or anything. Which brings me to my clueless question: Is amateur dev. feasible for the DS, or do you need expensive devkits, licensing from Nintendo etc?
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    I like bum sex.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Oh, as for the homebrew, there is a fairly big DS scene, just like there was for the GBA. Sony has tried to wipe it out for the PSP by locking users out of their machine with firmware upgrades. I have to say that this isn't a big suprise.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz: There are ways to get homebrew software into the DS but they involve at least a firmware flash. But as an employee of Ubisoft she probably has access to all the tools and may be able to get Ubi to publish it.