Home General Discussion

Multiverse: roll your own MMO

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
Picked this up from slashdot

Basically its an MMO framework with no licensing fees.

Replies

• rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 19
    heh nice.

Multiverse is also Michael Moorcock's dark fantasy universe... i'd like to actually see an mmo based on that heh smile.gif
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    Rituals of Infinity was a really good book, pick it up if you can find it
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    oh no, here comes the thousands of more oneman-led mmorpgs plaguing the net.
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Cheap, I'm sure you've thought of making a gargoyle MMO at least once.

Though I would be suprised to see something actaully really good come from thing. I'm sure there will be plenty of teams start up to make the next big thing, but to compete with the ones out there now, and there's still that Middle Earth MMO coming out sometime in the near future.
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Cheap, I'm sure you've thought of making a gargoyle MMO at least once.

[/ QUOTE ]

I never had that ambition, but I hate EA alot more after uxo's canning frown.gif
  • Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    Someone needs to make an MMO with a blend of FPS, RTS, and RPG elements...

...only problem is the fanbase would be confused...
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    You mean you want to add a first person view to Spellforce?
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    or make an FPS of starcraft?

oh

too late
  • Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No I mean an MMO that would replicate what goes on in a real life war.
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    I think I know what illusions means. It probably would make for an interesting MMO. Though it would be the sort of thing that a casual player couldn't really do much in, because it would probably require a lot of orginaztion.
  • Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well thats the basic idea, it would have something for most styles of play. You wanna play an MMO combat flight simulator, sign up and play as a pilot, and do dropship missions, or combat missions. Wanna play an MMO FPS? Sign up to play as infantry, kinda like UT2k4's onslaught. If you want to play as an RTS, sign up to be a General or Squad Leader, or a mission planner...the missions you plan would be quests for other players to complete, or radio orders sent in to battalions of troops or to airforces, or orders for a squad of players (party members) to complete.

The RPG element would be that you gain experience from interacting within the world in your particular chosen role.

idk...it sounds like it would be interesting...but not really feasible. Definately not something for the casual player like Neo_God said, unless you just want to jump in for a quick skirmish as the equivalent of a grunt, Red Suit, or cannon fodder...
  • Downsizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Downsizer polycounter lvl 18
    Illusions:
    Huxley is close, and amazing looking I might add;

http://mmorpg.com/hdl/hdlScrollClick.cfm?fId=172

Also i seriously think we will see thousands of projects for this in the DBZ/Fanboy-Whatever genre, but I doubt the little guys can handle the bandwidth or hardware requirements. I'm a network engineer, and it's quite an operation at 10,000 plus users.

I had thought it used the irrlicht engine, from posts on gamedev.net, but it looks like it's crystalspace.
  • Fuhnpott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuhnpott polycounter lvl 17
    But who pays for the host servers and the bandwidth?
  • Leech
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Leech polycounter lvl 18
    You do if you want.

And who said you needed to have 10,000 customers to be successful?

Most MMO's require the latency of a dialup connection to function well because the combat doesn't require player locations to be sent over the network.

So say you developed a game for free(devils advocate) and charged $10(low but reasonable) a player, you could probably run 250 people off a server comparable to an average PC based web server.

$2500 isn't a tremendous amount of money but I don't think it's unreasonable to think you couldn't make a small profit off that.

Look at movies, if I said I was going to make a movie, you wouldn't laugh and say "King Kong cost 200 million to make, how you going to pay for your movie?"

I would make it on digital video or rent 16mm cameras, edit it on my home PC and distribute through local independent theaters or the internet.
  • Downsizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Downsizer polycounter lvl 18
    the efforts required to maintain a persistant world and balance gameplay, and run server support is too much for the fan boys. thats all i was saying.

now, get a group of polycounters to make a small world we can all chat in, using OUR custom models, maybe customized so that we can post images in our chat bubbles, i'd pay a 10 spot monthly for that. seeing the creativity alone would be worth it.
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    They have kinda cheesy way of makeing it sound very good for developer.
    First of they will do the financing for you SO they get the 30-50% that they claim they take BEFORE you actually have covered your expences like salaries and servers and stuff.
    Also they say how mmo costs $20mil to make etc. BUT do they actually invest that much in the project? I doubt it, i would be like really surprised if they would spend over $1mil.
    And i would assume content costs a fortune while building a quality mmo, they say how they have these content packs but who the fuck wants to play games useing some off-the-shelf crappy models/textures?
    In conclusion i would say it is MUCH MUCH MUCH worse case than having a publisher who lets you "only" keep 10%. ONLY advantage they have is that you can pretty much always get "it" while you would actually would need skill/luck/demo to get real publisher who would fund your project.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    It's nice for those people who'd like to add some graphics to their MUD.

There's also NeL, that's GPL.