Home General Discussion

Playing with the metropolitan's cover.

Replies

• _Shimmer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    _Shimmer polycounter lvl 18
    good one. Its one of those stuf people are aware of (except the 85% of the dumb ones) but nobody really knows how much has been done to the cover photo. I did a lot of photomanipaultion in school, mostly they are easy tricks to fake a look you want. ah well, media, loved media....
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Very interesting. Shows very effectively how unrealistic magazine images are... everything is airbrushed, but like Shimmer says most people won't know to what extent.
    The stuff they did to her waist and boobs is just crazy... no wonder some women are looking at magazine cover girls and feeling like they aren't the right shape - it's because the shape they're being told they should be is completely faked!
  • neolith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    neolith polycounter lvl 18
    Scary. Even for someone who touches up pictures at work every second day...
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    Watching all the retouching they did to make her look sexy with large (fake looking) breasts, and then reading that she's only 14, adds another sick twist to this practise. Way to brainwash teen girls, and older men. I think she looked better before. She was real.

Good compaign.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    lol, I could play with that breast retouch tool all day laugh.gif

It's creepy though after you discover her age. Also, again, it makes the model seem ugly after comparing her to the touched up work.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    This is my job(or a huge part of it). This is what I do every day, 5-6 days a week.
    Also, that retouch wouldn't take me 20 hours, like that ad said. smile.gif More like 5 max.

Frequently these changes are driven by Advertising Art Directors who are really expressing thier desire for control over the final product, and thier own personal biases. This isn't some vast conspiracy by the media to indoctrinate our youth into a culture of beauty obsession.

And yeah, I cant believe she's 14 either...though that sort of thinking has gotten me in trouble before...
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm shocked, I had no idea they retouched cover girls...
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Pfft. I'd be happy if I got to touch them in first place.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Really, KDR? 14-year-old girls? :|
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    i'm hotter than the after picture
  • steady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    steady polycounter lvl 18
  • _Shimmer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    _Shimmer polycounter lvl 18
    haahaahaha per!

Well, being against these retouches is one thing, silly girls who believe the cover and doesnt recoginze its fakeness is soemthing else.
    It is just nice to watch how boob can grow in seconds, just move the slider. ahhhh laugh.gif
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    per, the message I understood wasn't as much suggesting a ban on retouching, rather 'dont feel so bad comparing yourself to cover images since they're digitally enhanced'. They seem to be trying to relieve the pressure mainstream media puts on kids to look like barbie dolls, which is good imho. Sorry if I'm missing somethin
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Nah. I think girls should starve themselves and work out 7 days a week. I mean...it just means hotter girls for me right? So what if they have low self esteem & are damaging thier bodies? Im not gonna keep them long enough to care about that stuff anyway! Besides girls with low self esteem do the dirtiest filthiest stuff in bed!
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    I'd say she's a lot better looking BEFORE the touchup than after....
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    well then, why do girls in the most media centered place on earth( I WONT BE MORE SPECIFIC hahaha) generally look so bad while the most feminine and beautiful girls can be found in countries that are "a bit behind".

[/ QUOTE ]

Because obesity and fixation on physical perfection are two different problems with different causes. One can be the result of an eating disorder (compulsive over-eating), while the other can be a cause of an eating disorder (fixation on being thin, resulting in anorexia, bulimia, etc). We have a lot of fatties in this country, but we also have a lot of people with poor self-image which can result in various eating disorders (the two different problems of obesity and beauty fixation both compound the problem of poor self-image).
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    *slides Per's boob*
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    It is just nice to watch how boob can grow in seconds, just move the slider. ahhhh laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

*flashback to home improvement!
  • palm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    palm polycounter lvl 18
    Per. This is not a campaign done by extremist women. The Swedish government sponsors this campaign and personally I’m glad that some of my tax-money goes to this. The campaign isn’t about telling everyone that magazines retouch their covers. It’s about that young people tend to have a very distorted image about how women and men are suppose to look, and that’s bad for everyone, except for the beauty industry that does everything in their power to uphold these unnatural standards.
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    [ QUOTE ]
    It’s about that young people tend to have a very distorted image about how women and men are suppose to look, and that’s bad for everyone, except for the beauty industry that does everything in their power to uphold these unnatural standards.

[/ QUOTE ]

If only the beauty industry was succeeding. What i tend to see is loads of teenagers and young women trying their utmost to look as hideous as possible ... honestly, it'd be really hard to photoshop some of these grotesque knackers. Hair scraped back so tight it makes their foreheads bleed, blusher painted on with a paintbrush in a way that even syphillitic dickensian whores would think looked a bit grim, lip gloss like diseased spunk, as much cheap gold-plated shit hanging off their necks and faces as they can manage without falling over into a pool of their own bacardi breezer coloured vomit.

A few more unnatural standards would be welcome if it stopped them looking like scum
  • palm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    palm polycounter lvl 18
    Haha.. How poetic.