Home Technical Talk

merging rigged characters in max 8

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
I can't wait till max 8.1...

I'll just C&P my question from other places:

Have of you fine folks encountered a problem in max 8 (yeah, I know – it’d be news if you HADN’T) where you can’t seem to merge bones?

We were using the skinwrap to project a quick rig from one character to another, but now when I try to merge in ANY skinned character, it comes in, it’s skinned and the scrubbing the time slider will animate it, but I CAN’T SEE THE DAMN BONES!

I can see them in the schematic view, but they are ghosted.

(by the way, merging as a group or adding an edit mesh or mesh select doesn't work)

Replies

• Rick Stirling
    Offline / Send Message
    So after a post on the support forums at discreet, they are imported as hidden objects. Unhide all DOES NOT unhide them, you have to go to the display tab and uncheck the Hide Bones box.

Barmy.
  • MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I was gonna suggest going to look there. TBH it'd have been the first place I'd have looked?
  • Rick Stirling
    Offline / Send Message
    Aye, you *SAY* That....

...didn't do that in 7....

*HUFF*

But why doesn't unhide all unhide them? Why are they imported hidden? Why is max 8 so fucking buggy?
  • MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I dunno mate, I'm using Max 7 smile.gif
  • Rick Stirling
    Offline / Send Message
  • headengine
    Offline / Send Message
    headengine polycounter lvl 18
    Piece. Of. Sh*te.

Maybe Max 8 is one of those classic "utterly borked" releases they unleash on us... there have been a few before, remember...

7 was damn stable and 8 is a disaster so far
  • thomasp
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    good to know! *pets max 5 and 7*
  • Eric Chadwick
    Wow, you guys sure are quick to trash a release. I'm not defending Max per se, just thinking that something like this could be fixed pretty easily with a simple script.

There are so many productivity enhancements in this release. Letting something simple like this stop you is just silly, even though you're (rightfully) pissed.
  • Rick Stirling
    Offline / Send Message
    it's not just this. There are several great enhancements, but some of the things are SO buggy it is actaully a disgrace that it got let out the door. It may just be that the testers didn't test certain aspects, but it is certainly a tragic release in many areas.

I've worked with max for years, and I know it can be quirky, but 8 has trashed models, 8 fucks models if you save them in figure mode, baking the first frame of the animation as the new figure mode and offsetting it from the root by a huge distance.

You only have to look on the support forum at discreet to see that these are not minor isolated incidents.

What head engine said is true - this is a BAD release. roll on 8.1 when hopefully those fundanmentals have been addressed.
  • Thermidor
    Offline / Send Message
    Thermidor polycounter lvl 18
    I gotta agree,

We have been fighting max8 since the upgrade.

a lot of the time i find myself saving the scene literaly every mouse click or action becuase when skinning or useing skin wrap it can be randomly unstable.

It seems anything to do with character studio is bugged.

I really cant understand how it got out the door with the figure mode bug.

lets hope when 8.1 comes we arent wishing for 8.2 straight away.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Huh, not using Biped here, so I guess I'm missing those boogs. I'm seeing the same old crashiness though. Sometimes I think Autobak is the best feature they ever added. smile.gif
  • FatAssasin
    Offline / Send Message
    FatAssasin polycounter lvl 18
    The fact that it's a yearly release cycle means that a new version has to get out the door when time is up, even with known bugs. I know there were at least two bugs that I personally reported, and one part of the maxScript docs that are just plain wrong, that did not get fixed for the release, but they could be considered not an issue for 95% of the users, so I'm sure they were put pretty low on the list of things that needed to be fixed before it shipped.

Hopefully with the Maya buyout they won't be in such a rush any more. But then again, a yearly update is a steady revenue stream for Autodesk. So who knows.
  • Rick Stirling
    Offline / Send Message
    well we've been told 8.1 is to be ready in January.