Home General Discussion

recommended ps2 titles

grand marshal polycounter
Offline / Send Message
pior grand marshal polycounter
Just got a slim ps2 and I damn love it!

What games would you guys recommend?

I'm open to any kind of gameplay, except turned based things like AdvancedWars or FinalFantasy, I just can't stand those mad.gif

Games I already have are Beyond Good and Evil, Ratchet&Clank3, Jak3, and XIII which I all deeply enjoy.

I am really interested in fresh platformers, instant action, and instant fun ala Warioware. As for racing games, I hate career-based ones like NFSU2, I just want to fire the console and race fast cars right from the start.

I now open the gates of suggestions! Any ideas appreciated laugh.gif

Replies

• cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    check out the Sly Cooper series, I-Ninja, Klonoa2, and God of War. Plenty of other great games on the system.
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    devil may cry 3 and god of war are highly recommended.
  • bearkub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bearkub polycounter lvl 18
    Katamari Damacy and We Love Katamari
  • seantree
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seantree polycounter lvl 18
    shadow of the colossus, and I'll second the vote for Klonoa2. Very good platformer. As for the rest of my recommendations, they are all turn based sooooo.....
  • eXpendabLe
  • nitzmoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nitzmoff polycounter lvl 18
    Shadow of the Colossus, Rez, Sly Cooper 1, The Mark of Kri, Katamari, Silent Hill 2 and Resident Evil 4.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Pior is in Europe, and therefore is not allowed Katamari.

Soul Calibur 3
    The Warriors
    ICO
    Dynasty Warriors
    GTA 3, VC, SA
    The first Jak and Daxter game
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    not to mention that colossus won't be out in europe until - i believe - february.
    as for the GTA games, i'd recommend only to get san andreas - sorry rick wink.gif after playing that one you won't be able to stand the earlier games. or - play them in the order of their original releases, then it's worth it.
    instant action: metal slug! - and alien hominid (metal slug-like but really hard)
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    REZ
    Space Channel 5 prt2
    All FF games
    Gran Tourismo 4
  • FunkaDelicDass
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FunkaDelicDass polycounter lvl 18
    Gradius V is my personal favorite PS2 exclusive game.
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    I just got a PS2 myself just for guitar heroes. So this'll help out my decision making, too.
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    we love katamari is out at the end of january
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Project Zero is the only game out of my PS2 collection that I'd dare to recommend to anyone (I like Nightshade and Xenosaga 2 as well but I doubt many people do and you didn't want turnbased games so XS2 is right out). And maybe Gungrave: Overdose because it's a whole load of fun for 15 Euros. Was pretty annoying to look at the "vote your GOTY" list at Gamespy and find only one game I played (Tekken 5) which I wouldn't vote for.

Only played the GC versions but Viewtiful Joe and Resident Evil 4 rocked, the PS2 versions should be able to measure up.
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    God of War, God of War, and God of War.

Resident Evil 4 is very excellent as well.

And don't forget that you should also get God of War.
  • BIOS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BIOS polycounter lvl 18
    REZ
    God of War
    Burnout Revenge
    Resident Evil 4
    Katamari Damacy or We Love Katamari
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    We Love Katamari Damacy (play it with a friend!)
    Soul Caliber 3 (good to have one solid fighting game in the collection)

and, as mentioned, Shadow of the Colossus. pior, you will absolutely not be disappointed in that game, it's a moving, inspiring experience, especially for an artist smile.gif Ico's pretty good too, but not quite as mind boggling as SotC.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SotC isn't out in Europe yet, Katamari probably never will be.

As for fighting, yes, Soul Calibur should be your only choice (not sure whether you'd want to pick up 2 or 3,3 has some advancements but 2 is loads cheaper...). Don't bother with trash like Tekken or DOA or trying to get anyone to play something like KOF or GGXX. Seriously, I never got anyone to play GGXX or KOF with me, they just wanted Soul Calibur 2 or Naruto 3 instead. Soul Calibur is probably the only fighting title for the PS2 where newbies have a chance (or, in the case of DOA, that doesn't devolve into a counter spamfest). But meh, for multiplayer you probably have a GC anyway and SSBM is hard to beat.

Rez isn't really that good a game, I'd wait until later to buy that.
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BoBo_the_seal polycounter lvl 18
    Herdy Gerdy! In my book one of the most overlooked ps2 titles out.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Herdy Gerdy was awful, and I wanted to like it so much. I tried, I REALLY tried. Also, it takes 6 days to load.
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BoBo_the_seal polycounter lvl 18
    Bah no accounting for taste! smile.gif
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Frequency and Amplitude by Harmonix (makers of Guitar Hero)
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not sure if anyone has mentioned it yet, but you really should check out God of War.
  • milla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    milla polycounter lvl 18
    The Tak games aren't bad, and then there's Kya Dark Lineage, Ratchet 2 (my personal favourite), Beyond Good & Evil, and yeah, the first Jak & Daxter game and Sly Cooper.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    PIOR BROKE DOWN! yay, good for you smile.gif

my favs:

SSX 3 (SSX, SSX: Tricky, and SSX On Tour are just as good, but i like 3 the most)
    Frequency
    Guitar Hero (too much damn fun)
    Metal Arms
    MGS (duh)
    MGS 2 (duh)
    MGS 3 (duh)
    Prince of Persia (the first one... not the second one.. ugh)
    Shadow of the Collosus

Beyond good and evil is cool... i need to give that game another chance (played for 3 hours and stopped).

Metal arms is soo much fun, and i think wildly underrated. It is a long game, and full of stuff. I actually played all the way through it, and enjoyed every minute of it. I have tried playing similar games (Jak, Ratchet, etc), but none of them have made me want to finish it like Metal Arms did. It also makes me want Stacraft Ghost alll the more now, since Swingin' Ape took over.

For what its worth, i dont think FF XII will be turn based... so you may have to check that one out too Pior smile.gif

also see: http://ps2.ign.com/articles/673/673756p1.html
    a handful of games there that will be worth your time smile.gif
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    -Beyond good and evil (the PS2's Zelda)
    -Pop 1 and 3 (they are in the same style), as moose said, not pop2
    -Capcom versus SNK 2 !!!
    -Resident Evil 4!!
    -God of War
    -Viewtiful joe
    -GTA San Andreas !!!
    -Jak and daxter 2
    maybe rayman 3 too
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moose: Metal Arms is nice because it costs only a tenner but it's not that great a game (played the GC version, personally, it's a game you can easily get stuck in so I didn't get beyond the junkyard and obviously noone wants to play that one in multiplayer, either).

I think I should put some effort into finding a copy of God Of War but my budget for games is currently pretty much empty...
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Woo woo nice pieces of advice people!

I just got MGS2 and obviously love it. I've also spotted both Kya and MetalArms in the 10E bargain bin and might eventually grab them one day... dunno yet.

I also tried a demo of Klonoa2 and genuinely disliked it for some reason :O Hehe to each his own as they say wink.gif

I tried the PS2 Wipeout and was disappointed too, I was expecting crazy fireworkish races but it was just slow and boring, I like 2097 better... I traded it back for Frequency and I'm glad I did! This is so much fun laugh.gif

I think next one is going to be Ico as SOTC is really not out yet here. Hmmmmm can't wait!
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Metal Arms is pretty much a first person shooter with third person view but without mouselook. Plus it doesn't allow saving very often, that's a big annoyance.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm reading a review on Kya and it says there's stealth in the game, can anyone put that in proportion? Is it as bad as BG&E or is it just a few isolated cases?
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]

Rez isn't really that good a game, I'd wait until later to buy that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously didn't play it with the trance vibrator!

REZ is one of my all time favorite games, because it floats 9 out of ten boats in my harbour. If you like trance, Tron, and erm, analogue joysticks (I only ever owned it for my DC, where it is far superior! smile.gif), it shall rock you like no other game has the power to do so.

RIP UGA. I loved you guys.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is the trace vibrator even sold anymore?
  • Kraftwerk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kraftwerk polycounter lvl 19
    Kya Dark Lineage is a great game, a must buy i think, keeped
    me busy for some while. Abolute addicting both Katamari games
    good bless i got these on eBay. And my top secret favorite is
    Gitaroo Man, spices up every party, nobody should doubt about
    that.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How's the stealth in Kya? As excessive as in Beyond Good & Evil?
  • Kraftwerk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stealth is not such a big part in Kya like in Beyond Good & Evil but ists always an big advantage and your have to use
    it still quite often too defeat your enemies.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sounds like it's not a game for me. Thanks for the warning.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmmm I've grabbed SSX3 for cheap but really dislike it... The physics and gameplay are cool but I just can't stand having to transport to one location to the other, I want a classic race selection screen instead, and faster progression! Simple = more fun! I'm going to trade it for something more straightforward racing-wise, maybe like Crazy Taxi...

Besides that Frequency is slowly turning into one of my favs so far. MGS2 was awesome to play through, to bad that the clearcode page seems to have disappeared from the konami website! And Ico should come tomorrow. Used and bargains are so cool smile.gif

If you ever have great games for Xmas feel free to post!
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hm, SSX3 gave me a "select challenge" screen on the GC, the transferring wasn't strictly needed to go somewhere (well, there was an intro sequence showing a transfer after selecting something but that could be skipped). I didn't like the game either and sold it for a tenner to a friend who desperately wanted it but selecting where to go wasn't an issue.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    pior: well if you haven't taken it back yet, be sure to enter the cheat code "tankengine" and you can check out Churchill in the game... Whargoul did a great job with him smile.gif

I played the GC version as well, I rarely buy games like that so I'm quite happy I had a reason to.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well yeah it's a bit of a shame, I like the feel and controls but the loading times/menus/transport/lounge/textmessages/ are somehow getting in the way of the plug-and-play experience I was expecting. Just like I only enjoy NFSU with everything unlocked right from the start, pure lazyness! I see these are really good games, I just don't have the time or patience to have fun playing this way.

As for the Churchill cameo, it's actually the main raison why I gave attention to the game back when it was released 2 years ago! I thought the only way to play as him was to go through long challenges but a cheatcode is so much better wink.gif
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't know how severe the unlocking in NFSU is but usually it works pretty well to just ignore locked stuff and take it as an added bonus when the game tells you "congrats, you unlocked stuff!".
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Have you tried ... oh ... I dunno ... GOD OF WAR yet? It's pretty ok. I've also been playing quite a bit of Resident Evil 4 on my PS2 lately (since beating <u>GOD OF WAR</u>) and it is a VERY excellent title as well.

Seriously, if there is any reason what-so-ever to own a PS2, God of War and Resident Evil 4 are it.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmmm, I'm surprised no one has mentionned God Of War?

laugh.gif

I should stop getting games for super cheap and should actually start playing them! Too many cool games available...
  • Kraftwerk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Hmmm, Too many cool games available...

[/ QUOTE ]

Too bad that isnt for PC games... so disappointing this year..
    Ohh well still have to beat We Love Katamari
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Hmmm, I'm surprised no one has mentionned God Of War?

[/ QUOTE ]

Now that you mention it, that is a very excellent PS2 title that I highly recomend getting and playing wink.gif
  • RickA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RickA polycounter lvl 18
    Be aware that rumours have it that in Europe Ico will be re-released along with Shadow of the Colossus. Might save you some hunting around.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And The Warriors is one of the most overlooked games of the year.

I liked Manhunt too, apart from the first couple of training type missions. You should pick it up on ebay for next to nothing.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    I recommend, Prince of Persia the Two Thrones. Got this one for my birthday from a coworker and it was great, I suggest playing on the easy difficulty as the last two bosses were a bit frustrating.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    -MGS series
    -Jak series
    -Zone of Enders 2
    -Armored Core series
    -Front Mission 4