Home General Discussion

Something comparable to RH's KidA?

seantree
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
seantree polycounter lvl 18
I'm attempting to find some music comparable to Radiohead's KidA album and was hoping someone would have some recommendations for me. I'm not sure that anything exists that sounds like this album(RH's best IMO), but any help is appreciated. I've already hit Sigur Ros on itunes as I seem to remember Thom stating they were an influence of his. Still have a few more albums to get samples of though.

Replies

• Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    lol Muse sound nothing like Radiohead!
    Might wanna try something like Mogwai?
  • seantree
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seantree polycounter lvl 18
    just grabbed some mogwai and some mum. thinking of some Godspeed! you black emperor next. they sound pretty damn good. Actually I'd say Muse sounds like The Bends or OKC Radiohead. I'm looking more for stuff that is like "Idiotique" and the "Kid A" track.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    that's a tough one... if we're going for albums that are sonically/conceptually similar to Kid A to some degree, i think the closest match i can think of is REM's 1998 album "Up". came at around the same time as Kid A, and marked a similar sort of sonic departure for REM as Kid A did for Radiohead. in REM's case, it was precipitated by the departure of drummer Bill Berry (who left for health reasons).

another album that's got a similarly divergent sound would be the Smashing Pumpkin's "Adore", which was also from 1998, and coincidentally, was also promulgated in part by the loss of the drummer. a lot of Smashing Pumpkins fans do not like the album, since it's a fairly quiet piano/electronic sounding album on the whole, instead of the wall of sound rock that made the band famous. but if you approach the album without expectations for big angry rock, i think you'll enjoy it.

so in summary, you might want to check out REM's Up and Smashing Pumpkin's Adore. Múm, Mogwai, and Godspeed You! Black Emperor are all good choices as well.
  • BIOS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BIOS polycounter lvl 18
    these records come to mind:

aphex twin - selected ambient works
    brian eno - another green world
    massive attack - protection or mezzanine
    talk talk - laughing stock
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 19
    i dunno mop, the FIRST thing i thought of when I heard muse was radiohead. muse didn't make the states till the 'time is running out' song hit the radio.. which, for that song his voice sounds ALOT like old school OKcomputer radiohead...at least to me.

but I Went back and found older muse stuff since.. the comparison doesn't really hold past Absolution.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I've found Muse tend to be a lot more up-tempo and "rocky" than Radiohead. Then again, both bands have covered a fairly wide range of styles in their music, and Matt Bellamy does sometimes sound a bit like Thom Yorke, I guess.
    I really wouldn't say that much Muse stuff sounds like anything off Kid A.
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    Check out some AIR, Autechre, Boards of Canada, and perhaps some M83. Maybe Bjork too.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Godspeed! you black emperor next

[/ QUOTE ]

I discovered them recently! Love them thus far. Try the "Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas To Heaven" album.. Incredible!
    You might also try Set Fire to Flames which includes some of the same members.

Oh, and supposedly this genera is "post-rock".

Oh and I must say lastfm is really turning out to be a good choice in helping me discover such music.

http://www.last.fm/

(my profile)
    http://www.last.fm/user/oXYnary/
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Oxy: to help you find some more good postrock, check out godspeeds label 'constellation' at http://www.cstrecords.com/, it features a lot of bands with shared members, a lot of which you might not know yet. If you see either of their sampler cds in the recordstore, those are always a good bet as well to get a feel for them.
    And if you're really liking postrock, i've got some more suggestions for you. Add me to msn if you're reaaally interested smile.gif

And i'd agree with MoP on the "muse doesn't sound like radiohead, much less Kid A"
    Now let's all harrass Bearkub for labeling godspeed emo! wink.gif

edit: and here's my last.fm profile, allthough it's hardly representative because my computer won't play audio-cd's (my cd-drive/software's acting up)
    http://www.last.fm/user/mighty_pea/

Also, maybe Gravenhurst is a good suggestion for the initial question in thsi thread. They don't sound much like Kid A, but i think RH fans can learn to appreciate them nevertheless, especially on their latest album.
  • bearkub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bearkub polycounter lvl 18
    I have a better idea, let's just smack pea around for a couple hours. ¬_¬

Another band I would like to add to the mix is Dirty Three. One guitar, one violin, one drum set. All amazing. I have my lastfm page up, but I think it is full of weird stuff currently as I have been listening to some odd stuff.