Home General Discussion

The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe

Dukester
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Dukester polycounter lvl 18
I read this book again this afternoon in anticipation of the movie, because it has been 37 years since I had it read to me. I was suprised at how much I did not remember. Which is almost all of it. So it was just like reading a new book!

Oh, bother those trippers! LMAO

Anyway I do the regular thing, google search the stuff afterward. I go to the Disney webbie for the movie and there bigger'n shit is the White Witch being pulled in her SLEDGE by a bunch of polar bears in a painting that is extremely, uncomfortably a duplicate of a Frazetta painting.

In the book it's two white reindeer and I realize that as far as story goes that it really doesn't make a damn wether it's reindeer or polar bears, but damn! why change that for no reason!

I can understand making subtle changes to the story to expedite the film story compared to the book story, but why make changes just for the hell of making them? Are the white reindeer the only thing holding the books back from becoming MEGA SMASH SUPER NOVELS?

crap. I'm just whisky venting, but I think I raise a valid point mad.gif

Replies

• Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    Shut the fuck up old man, its the future, it MUST be better, it MUST have a reason, you're just too old to understand it grandpa!

heh...

Whisky fueled here also.

It's been 22 years for me. I read the books and watched the film when I was 9. I cried when the lion died, knowing not back then that he was an allegory for Jesus... sheesh, it strikes me now how unscrupulous people can be whilst seek to perpetuate and spread their views to the unknowing younger generation

I'm really looking forward to the film though I'm pretty sure it's not something I can introduce my almost 3 year old daughter to.

I spent so long looking for cupboards in creepy old houses after learning the story, I was the sort of kid who beleived in magic still, long after the stage I was meant to have given up on it.

Gaiman wrote that 'Dreams make no promises' but I never tried to blackmail them into doing so and I think even as a kid I understand there were no magic cupboards but I enjoyed imagining that there might be some kind of mental real estate where there were.

As for the reindeer / polar bear deal... well its the modern age Duke, if they can turn James Bond into a film where the yanks make fun of the brits and help ‘em out and its more about missus bond than Mr. bond... well they can do what ere they will as its the land of do as you please for the suits.

That said, I'm really excited to see the movie, no amount of tongue in cheek cynicism is going to spoil my enjoyment of it.

r.
  • Dukester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I cried when the lion died

I damn near did just this afternoon...

knowing not back then that he was an allegory for Jesus... sheesh

heh heh He tricked ya! Still, it doesn't matter what it was, it should be filmed true to the book, wouldn't you agree?
    (and btw I'm not worried about that aspect of it anyway)

I'm pretty sure it's not something I can introduce my almost 3 year old daughter to.

Right, but in a year or two you can read it to her smile.gif

As for the reindeer / polar bear deal... well its the modern age Duke, if they can turn James Bond into a film
    where the yanks make fun of the brits and help'em out and its more about missus bond than Mr. bond...
    well they can do what ere they will as its the land of do as you please for the suits.

That was my original point, and I agree with you. There is no reason to flash things up. If it was good enough to still be a popular book
    now then there is no reason to think it can be made better, just the same as if Dr. No still gets watched by me every Thanksgiving
    there is no reason why every Bond flick can't be made in the same style as Dr No. Just because times have changed
    doesn't mean you have to change what made something good in the first place.

That said, I'm really excited to see the movie, no amount of tongue in cheek cynicism is going to spoil my
    enjoyment of it.

Me too! I am really looking forward to this. It's just the little things like the polar bears that stick in my craw frown.gif

Who are you calling old! smile.gif (I must stop writing because I am not gonna stop drinking)

and for those few who aren't familiar with the frazetta work...

frazetta-whitewitch.jpg
    us Frazetta fanatics are ever vigilant for this kind of thing smile.gif
  • LordScottish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LordScottish polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I read the books and watched the film when I was 9. I cried when the lion died, knowing not back then that he was an allegory for Jesus... sheesh, it strikes me now how unscrupulous people can be whilst seek to perpetuate and spread their views to the unknowing younger generation

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the whole point of fantasy/science fiction, isn't it? It allows us to get a new perspective on something we already know too good to notice anymore. Planet of the apes and 1984 are other good examples. Well, at least in serious literature it's like that, of course I enjoy star trek and star wars as well, atlthough I don't see any hidden message there grin.gif
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No, the point of Fantasy is to remind of us a better world and way of living that we do currently and the point of science fiction is to try to articulate a better world and way of living than we currently do.

Just my opinion though, no need to read too much into it and move away from Duke's thread!

Oh and Duke, I agree it should be true to the book.
    As for the reason people are changing things, in general, I think men are being rasied to be more like women, women raised to be more like men, we're all being told we're the same and we're all having our ethics and morals dictated to us by a book whose ideas only sound good on paper and when you put all that together, its pretty clear why everything is getting watered down because to make all these other goals palatable, society continues to require further dumbing down and simply isn't going to be capable of taking on as many differing ideas and styles, things WILL need to be homegenized further.

Of course, that's just my theory.

r.
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 19
    the paintings are similar enough to be reminiscent, but hardly a copy. It doesn't looke like a bit of the painting was 'copied' from one to the other.... I think it looks more like an homage to frazetta, and a pretty cool one.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    the point of science fiction is to try to articulate a better world and way of living than we currently do.

I suppose you don't consider dystopias "science fiction", then?
  • Dukester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    the paintings are similar enough to be reminiscent, but hardly a copy. It doesn't looke like a bit of the painting was 'copied' from one to the other.... I think it looks more like an homage to frazetta, and a pretty cool one.

[/ QUOTE ]

could be, but I think you are being too kind to the person who decided it should be polar bears smirk.gif
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dystopias DO articulate a better world because the point out the errors we make currently and extrapolate where we are heading in the hopes of waking us up to alternative's we might institutue now in order to make things better.

You might try thinking about what I tried to say rather than trying to to think up an exception to the rule and disaprove what I'm saying.

1984's point was to try and wake us up, its harder to sell people harsh truths and if someone is looking to just make money they'd be better served by making a good entitled ' Everything is just wonderful' , so I beleive books like 1984 try harder than most to improve the world.

r.
  • Prs-Phil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prs-Phil polycounter lvl 18
    very interesting read here

I sadly have never read the book or heard the story before, it sounds like a very inspiring childhood experience.

I´m guessing that on the polarbear decision they might find the connection to santa clause SO visually striking that they can't take the risk to confuse the audience.

ror, I like the idealistic clear view you have of the concept of fantasy and/or sience fiction.
    I also think 1984 sends a warning signal to improve the world we live in but also draws a strong picture of a situation where we as humans are put into totally different form of mental existance. (how we are aware of ourselves)
    Your theory is a nice swift slap on the back of my head, to remind me not to let concepts forcefully dictate the thoughts because they lead towards this situation of no real identity and becoming easly formable.

So, I´m definatly now going to watch the movie when it hits our cinemas on the 8th smile.gif
  • LordScottish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LordScottish polycounter lvl 18
    Allowing us to get a new perspective on something has an aim and that aim may be showing us how to live better or something similar, so you didn't disagree with me at all, even if you start your post with a "no" r.

I saw the 9minutes long trailer a few hours ago and there is a sledge pulled by two white reindeer, but there is some sort of dwarf riding it, not the white witch. I have only read 30 pages so far, so I don't know who he might be frown.gif
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    I loved the books. My mother read them to us kids in the summer of 1972, as we drove across the country to our grandparents. The same summer the Isreali athletes were killed, whish soured the Olympics , so we turned off the TV, and mom read us to sleep.

I do hope the movie is true to the books, because, I just have such fond memories of them.

Scott
  • Jelmer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jelmer polycounter lvl 17
    never read the books so I bought em a few weeks ago. Haven't got a chance to read much of it, but so far it's all fun, and I'm looking forward to Narnia more then I'm looking forward to King Kong, however both movies will be inspiring and sweet.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    i read the books, but I can't remeber a single thing from any of them. Dont even know if I'll see the movie...
  • Jelmer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jelmer polycounter lvl 17
    oh and here's a 9 minutes long new 'trailer'
    http://webbtv.tv4.se/webtv/metafile.asx?...HqiE7ct6(zGnP8A

Contains plenty of spoilers (ofcourse)..