Home General Discussion

Bodypaint 3D

amadikus
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
amadikus polycounter lvl 18
Has anyone ever used Bodypaint 3D with 3ds Max for texturing a game character and if so, did you like the results? Can you post your model for viewing?

Replies

• shotgun
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    i know a day when ogro fix sweared for this program on his life
    i think now he is into midget sex,
    but ill drop him a msg anyway and tell him to look at this post

i have tried it myself and found the interface too annoying,
    but i'm just a dummy.
    ogro made some delicious stuff with that alone, no ps, so..
  • MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    This should have probably been in 2d/3d discussion.
  • amadikus
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, I'll be looking for the post.
  • amadikus
    Offline / Send Message
    re: MoP comments

You know you're right. Sorry bout' that.
  • Xenobond
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    I love bodypaint 3d. Took a while to figure it out, but it's so much nicer to just paint right on the model.
  • Delaney King
    Offline / Send Message
    Delaney King polycounter lvl 18
    I've been using ghost painter. which is, uh, weird. But I would be keen to see bodypaint in action.
  • Eric Chadwick
    I use Body Paint 3D, but only for fixing seams. The painting tools are not as refined as Photoshop for my tastes. But BP's interface is so customizable it's pretty easy to set up how I like it.

Biggest complaint I have is I can only paint one texture sheet at a time, and it only supports a single UV channel.

Layer support is robust, connections with Photoshop and Max are solid. Never crashes, unlike Deep Paint 3D which sometimes does. Projection paint is very refined, I like how I can rotate the view in that mode and it auto-projects, and pretty quickly too.

Viewport nagivation is a bit odd, I have to press three different viewport icons to rotate/pan/zoom. And I can't use the tablet to navigate, since the controls are screen-center-based. If I do touch those buttons with the pen, the view flies way out into empty space. So, have to switch to mouse to navigate. Yuck.
  • amadikus
    Offline / Send Message

Thanks guys for the insite. I, like EricChadwick, have been considering to try it for fixing seams. Just wanted to get feedback, thanks.
  • Ruz
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    yuo can easily fix your seem in zbrush/pshop now thanks to z applink. I hated the bodypaint demo we were given at work. slow as hell
  • thomasp
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    you don't even need zApplink for mere seamfixing; zbrush has smear, clone and blur tools that do the job nicely. plus it's more versatile at a similar price. unless you absolutely need the ability to paint and preview color, bump and specmaps simultaneously, better go with zbrush these days.
  • arshlevon
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    i think bodypaint is by far the best 3d paint solution.. and i like the brushes MORE than photoshop and haved customised quite a few .... i dont even really use photoshop anymore, except for minor touch ups.. i cant even remember the last texture i painted in it..

@eric: i think all your prayers have been answered in bodypaint 2.5 .. the navigation is way better than 2 was.. here is a list of fixes

New features in Release 2.5

Interface & Handling

* Improved Material Manager
    * Easier navigation in editor
    o handle highlighting
    o configurable camera rotation
    * HeadUpDisplay
    * Extensively configurable viewports
    * New display modes (e.g. constant shading)
    * Detachable menus
    * Advanced search tool
    * Improved support for WACOM tablets
    * Active Tool Manager merged into Attribute Manager
    * Hierarchical shortcuts; for quicker access of functions
    * Full screen mode; have more space while you paint
    * New Content Browser; catalogs 3D files and more

Features and Functions

* Support and creation of Normal Maps
    * Baker; 3 click baking (incl. Light, UV and Normal Maps)
    * N-gons supported; for a better overview of geometry
    * Layermanager; imports/manages PSDs with layersets
    * 16 new blending modes
    * Detach Projection Plane
    * New Layer Shader
    o Easy image compositions within BodyPaint 3D
    * New Spline Shader
    o Projects splines onto surface
  • Eric Chadwick
    Ah, good to hear. Gonna go update then!

But how does it handle multiple textures? Like can you fix seams between sheets?

Also what about multiple UV channels? For example I need to paint a mask for a layer, but the mask uses a different UV channel/layout than the RGB. Last time I asked tech support about this, they just shrugged and said maybe it'd be supported in a future release.

Thanks for the info.
  • arshlevon
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    you know i have no idea about the masks or painting on seperate channels becasue i never do it. poop always goes off about the masks and you know they seem super useful, but i am coming from a traditional art background and i find myself only likeing workflows that feel like traditional materials.. i think thats why i like zbrush so much and body paint. something i can compare to good ol sculpting and painting.. i am probably not a good person to give advice on software now that i think about it because i rarley use any of the funtionality of them. in photoshop i use only one brush and one opasity setting and i get any and all variation from that, the only thing i do to it is change the size.. i dont use layer styles or filters ..not because they are not useful, and not because i consider it cheating by anymeans.. i just find the more i have to think about a "process" and further i am removed from just making marks the more i dont like it..i have picked up a few neat little tricks but they are all post processes like levels and basic image tweeking.. jesus i went off..

so anyone know about masks in bodypaint????
  • Ruz
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    the tbing i didn't like was it seemed so slow,both to imprt models and to paint on them.killed my interest straight away.
    To be fair the demo was not the proper demo ,just a disabled one the body paint guys left behind.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Hmm, don't have any problems with speed here, getting as fast a response time as PS.

I hear you about the immediacy thing Arsh. I'm using layer masks because our engine supports masking at the material level, to combine multiple materials or multiple maps, etc. The mask can use a different UV channel, so for example one map can be tiled while another and the mask between them are not.

Painting the mask tends to be a lot easier if it's done in 3D, and if I could get the textures to use their own UV sets in the same viewport I'd be rocking. Haven't seen a tool that does this yet though. frown.gif