hmm the new gameplay footage, neat.

http://www.prey.com

Replies

• aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    yea, looks like a pretty great game.

Does it have multiplayer? Cause the crazy effects with gravity and portals would make for some really fun level design...
  • Sean McBride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sean McBride polycounter lvl 18
    haha man, this game looks great. laugh.gif
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    aesir: How many PC FPSs didn't have multiplayer at least patched in?
  • motives
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motives polycounter lvl 18
    damn i need to upgrade my system.. This looks seriously wowsorz..
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Where's that new footage you're talking about? I downloaded the only video they've got there and it's only the E3 stuff we've already seen.
  • tpe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tpe polycounter lvl 18
    I am having the same prob as kdr, no new stuff, but it was obvious that the narator has got to be just the indian from DN4ever, in another time and another universe etc wink.gif

tpe
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Abduction beams are cool.

I was iffy on my impression of it- till I saw a posessed alien zombie kid impale another child. This is a winner for sure!
  • _Shimmer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    _Shimmer polycounter lvl 18
    hmm, there was a new 1 minute trailer released some days ago, though I guess the 11 min stuff is the footage from the E3, so get your ass to IGN or whatever.
  • Slayerjerman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slayerjerman polycounter lvl 18
    whens this shit coming out damn it...i need a new fps since i finished Fear and CoD2...*small tear*
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    holy shit
    the minute i saw that peyote smoking indian mofo i knew this was gonna be some trippy shit!

i'm gonna have fun with this one laugh.gif
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    Looks like your average "lets make a shooter with cool intro" kind of game.
    Not looking forward to it atall.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    really toomas? Did you watch more than the intro? Cause... ya know... there are some rad gameplay elements in it.
  • nitzmoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nitzmoff polycounter lvl 18
    Is this tekk arrow shooting Native American FPS hero going to kill robot dinosaurs like the other tekk arrow shooting Native American FPS hero?
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    really toomas? Did you watch more than the intro? Cause... ya know... there are some rad gameplay elements in it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Like the turning into obsolite ghost kind of thing (its like this doorway is blocked, now use the key errr.. i mean turn into a ghost) or the gravity pathways?
    They look more like gimmiks to me, but whatever floats your boat i guess.
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    serious sam se did have that gravity gimmick in it
  • neolith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    neolith polycounter lvl 18
    I am surprised - a D3 engine game that doesn't look shitty. Still... I don't know if it's going to be a game I want to play...
  • Gmanx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    Ho hum...
    Anachronox's gravity pathways..Armed and dangerous's 'topsy turvy' device (or similar)... HL2's gravity gun...but wait - these are all in the same game! And it uses the D3 engine! And the graphics/gameplay look sweet, and the portals are new (aren't they?)! It's turning.. my.. head.... can't help it.....reaching ...for ...credit card...... confused.gif
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Portals, new?? Q3 had portals that looked pretty much the same and D3 had some portals, i hope you were kidding...
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    more murky darkness. Yay.

And i'm sorry, but killing kids in games is just deeply unpleasant.
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Portals, new?? Q3 had portals that looked pretty much the same and D3 had some portals, i hope you were kidding...

[/ QUOTE ]

No! DYNAMIC PORTALS, not just standard portal rendering.
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Q3 has dynamic portals, you can see other players etc. through them before you jump in...
  • Gmanx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    Ok, ok I was kidding - but them there portals do look kinda special don't they?

All in all it looks like being a blast to play. Looks like if you die you've got to fend off those flying beasties (I presume they're after your soul/spirit - whatever) so you don't die for good?
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not when you die, but when you exit from your body as a ghost to play a moving key essentially.
    And i bet it will be so overused that by the time you finish the game any mention of it will make you puke uncontrollably!
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Q3 has dynamic portals, you can see other players etc. through them before you jump in...

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it's a portal rendered in a teleporter, fixed in the map. Prey has portals where you can actually shoot through them as if they were ACTUAL holes in the world. Stuff passes through them as a hole rather than a model with a trigger_teleport around it set to a fixed destination.

use brain!
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I can shoot through Q3 portals...
    Ok so maybe they use different tech to do it but if the results are the same why the fuck should i care?
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Forsaken, anyone? I seem to remember a Unreal Tournament level with portals, too.

Not when you die, but when you exit from your body as a ghost to play a moving key essentially.

Um, a key is something you pick up and use on a lock, that ghost form is an entire gameplay element (can move through some obstacles but can't move too far from your body because its health degenerates over time). It's like leaving your vehicle to do a part on foot where the vehicle doesn't fit. Or going into the alternate world in a Nintendo game.
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And it will be used for...
    BIG SURPRISE....
    unlocking doors from the inside!

Belive me, they have the feature and because they will hype it too much they end up in a situation where they have to invent uses for the gimmick and unlocking doors from the inside is the most logical thing that they will do and because they run out of ideas in 3mins they will just use it over and over and over again.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    There are a few things that I don't really care for, but Prey looks interesting enough to me. I'm pleased to see they are developing a unique look to certain locations. As in, some parts, gameplay, etc appear distinctly Prey as opposed to any random FPS. Looking forward to how they handle some of the gameplay ideas.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Toomas, what do you expect man? There hasn't been truly innovative gameplay in a game, for years. Everything is borrorwed from something else.

I think Prey looks great. Not revolutionary, but certainly evolutionary.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There hasn't been truly innovative gameplay in a game, for years.

When did Katamari come out?
  • nitzmoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Katamari was great, but there's been more than that. Seems it's the default ansewer to such a question these days.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's because a theory can be disproven with a single example and there's no need to dig out games like Gish or Uplink that most gamers haven't even heard of.
  • nitzmoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah, ok. I tend to get uppity on innovation topics. Thought I was going to have to get Kirby and his magic rainbow bridge on these guys.
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    The spirit walk is actually used in two different ways from what I understand. You can use it to open doors from the inside, and when you "die" you actually go into spirit walk as well. I believe something that I read stated that the designers felt that dieing in games breaks immersion, so rather than having you die, you go into spirit walk and have to get back to your body or something.

I think the game looks great and looks like it could be a lot of fun. Stop being such a negative nelly, Toomas tongue.gif
  • Gmanx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    In the video footage, at about 8 mins 45 seconds the guy dies, and he's transported to the 'spirit realm' (or whatever it is) and we see these red stingray looking things shooting at his blue spirit which falls through a hole. He then jumps down into the hole, and I presume - back into his body.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Rolling a ball around a landscape is innovative? That's news to me....
    It was a fun game, sure, for a short time. It sure as hell wasn't groundbreaking, though.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    I saw this at E3 and was completely impressed. It seems like what Doom 3 should have been.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vassago: I don't think any game before KD had the "pick up junk to make your ball larger" mechanic.

I'd expect the spirit form to be used for more than just "go through energy field, push button". It'll probably be required for puzzles and perhaps even be useful for combat. Damage you take in the spirit form and the physical form are counted separately and the spirit health regenerates pretty fast so that might even help you in combat.
  • _Shimmer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    _Shimmer polycounter lvl 18
    It would be fun if they would integrate death as a gameplay element like let yourself being "killed" so that the enemies go back to their work, or whatever and then you come back and stealth aorund. Well, ok stupid idea, but I am not a designer laugh.gif

However, I think the game looks pretty badass, its nothing like reinvent the wheel, but it felt fresh and new to me and its not fantasy or WWII or another boring RTS, which is cool.
    Looking forward to that. I hope they can integrate some good storytelling parts and not everything takes place on the alienship (early screens showed stuff on the city actually)

And hell yeah, that teleporting shit is kinda fun laugh.gif
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think death was a part of the puzzles in Omikron: The Nomad Soul where dying would turn you into the last person you touched.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    I have been following Prey since I saw the screenshots on the Duke3D CD.
    It looked awesome back in the day, when it used its own engine, etc.
    Its still cool, and I'll be picking this one up for sure.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I think death was a part of the puzzles in Omikron: The Nomad Soul where dying would turn you into the last person you touched.

[/ QUOTE ]There were a number of stroy elemtents (memories and so forth) that could only be accessed by dying in PLanescape Torment too.