Home General Discussion

Mudbox

Daz
Daz
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Daz polycounter lvl 18
Im hearing more and more about a commercial 'Zbrush killa' app. in development by Weta called 'Mudbox'. Supposedly all the functionality and some, without the clunk. Who has info???!!!Google doesn't!

Replies

• Keg
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 19
    all you need to know is that zbrush 2.5 is gonna be the bomb
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Doh, thanks Keg. Maybe ya crazy Russian, but it'll still probably take noobs weeks to learn it! I think the learning curve is a big shortcoming still. I've certainly seen that at work at least.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    Zbrush is a poorly designed app, with an outragous workflow for it's main use. It looks like it was only an accident that it became the app of choice for high detail 3d work, and then they advertised it at full force. It can be used to make great work, but come on. I simply can't convince myself to buy it for what it is atm. I'd like to see more alternatives for it's style of modeling. Or if pixologic would simply take out all the crap 3d modelers don't need, and stop calling objects tools. Maybe Zbrush5 will be the bomb.

Woops. I'm gonna hang for this. ooo.gif
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    there is some drama it seems between weta and pixologic.. i like zbrush and more so the community that can answer any question you have about the software.. i dont like that they wont come off the "it 2d software, you just happen to beable to make 3d in it" additude.. they refuse to aknowledge their largest userbase.. zbrush wasnt anything but a toy until 3d artists started using it.. but instead of cater the software around the majority of its users it continues down this weird path to somehow try and not "sellout" to the 3d community.. but i love some of this drama stuff...

" Hello, I was disappointed with the article on Zbrush 2 [Digital Eye: To Z or not to Z? It’s No Longer the Question]. Zbrush 2 contains some powerful features and so I appreciate the novelty the software must have presented to the author. However, consequently, the article strikes me as lacking a requisite balance, and does nothing to uncover the software's limitations or any level of dissatisfaction experienced by many of its users. But more importantly, the article contains several factual inaccuracies. It is true that Dave Cardwell, myself, and the rest of the Models team at Weta collaborated with Pixologic in the development of Zbrush 2 in 2003, supplying much of the feature set later released in this version and providing the software with a previously lacking production perspective. However, despite this, Weta in fact no longer uses or rarely uses Zbrush -- for anything. 1. Weta no longer uses or rarely uses Zbrush 2 2. I am using MUDBOX to design and detail my models. 3. The "nasty armies" were not "created in ZBrush" 4. I am not "designing characters for ... Chronicles of Narnia" 5. I am not "designing characters for Kong ... in ZBrush 2" For future reference, I invite you to contact me directly for information or confirmation concerning my work. I am more than happy to share these things with you within the bounds of Weta's NDA. On a side note, I feel it is worth highlighting that until MUDBOX, software makers were not offering any serious competition to Zbrush and consequently users had little choice when it came to high resolution, brush-based modeling. There is and always will be a measure of frustration with existing tools as users and productions demand more from software. However, so many articles and reviews about Zbrush make it seem like it has already "arrived at the destination" and often read more like press releases than informative articles from respected industry journals. I would suggest that readers might appreciate a bit more investigation and balance in the upcoming reviews of Massive and Face Robot. I know I certainly would and look forward to the next two articles! thanks"

-Tibor Madjar Kong Asset Lead Modeler Weta Digital
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Sounds interesting.. smile.gif
  • pogonip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pogonip polycounter lvl 18
    Hmm hopefully they will release it to the public someday . Although a lot of really great looking programs never see the public light of day .Like Disneys " Deep Canvas " . I seen that software being used in the special edition of Tarzan and it looked awesome ..like painter in 3D but alas has never made it out to the public .
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, it's definitely being touted as a commercial app. from what I've heard.
  • pogonip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pogonip polycounter lvl 18
  • Asthane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asthane polycounter lvl 18
    Oh god, yes, give us an alternative to Zbrush, please! T_T

Nevercenter says Silo 2.0 will have displacement painting, but I can't say I think they'll have anything like Zbrush's projection master or ability display a metric fuckload of polygons on the first release... Here's hoping though.
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    Sharpconstruct! Too bad it's linux only and the author intends in working alone on it though. frown.gif

http://sharp3d.sourceforge.net