Home General Discussion

Experience with per pixel lighting?

PaK
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
PaK polycounter lvl 18
hey guys,

I know this belongs in a different channel but, I wanted to get everyone's attention for sure.

Does anyone here know howto do per pixel lighting? And perhaps looking for work?

If so, please let me know asap.

rpatel AT easel3d.net

-R

Replies

• Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    yeah, the term 'how to do it' is a bit vague Pak smile.gif It's a bit like saying 'how to do bi-linear filtering?' How to code a 3D engine that can do it? How to use a tool to place lights? Per pixel lighting is an engine feature that's simply implemented. You don't really 'do it' as such. It just 'is'. You should probably clarify. smile.gif
  • CMB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CMB polycounter lvl 18
    Uh...whats per pixel lighting exactly...
    I have my own guesses of how it is but I have no real expeirience with it.
  • pogonip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pogonip polycounter lvl 18
    Are you looking for a lighting artist ?
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    CMB: 3D engines used to make lighting calculations per vertex, now they can light per pixel ( actually they have been able to for some time now )

http://developer.nvidia.com/attach/6688
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Basically the requirement for rendering normalmaps.
  • PaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    well, to be more descriptive:

-do you understand howto harness the power of per pixel fall off from per pixel lights.

-do you know howto tweak a spec map on a per light basis (spec power settings usually have to customized per lit scene, it's a limitation I have seen across every engine i have worked with)

-vertex lighting allowed for tweaks of the vertex colors to 'fudge;' the lighting. Those controls are now pushed onto the textures on a per pixel level. Do you know howto control these variables.

The reason I wasnt spacific is that if you know these things, you wouldnt really need clairifcation, it's my guess those peope who are familiar withn these attributes of PPL don't need to ask such questions...but maybe i was assuming too much.

Thx for the heads' up Daz...

-R
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Just wondering here, what's with the "tweak a spec map on a per light basis"? Does this mean you are required to alter a spec map depending on what lighting situation the texture is in? I assume you're not talking about altering the actual specular map image itself, more just values associated with it?
    Surely you can just make a specular map and it'll react properly in any lighting conditions if the lights are set up right and the value range of the spec map creates results to mimic realism?

Also you might wanna edit that 9 into a bracket, it was confusing me, I thought you were saying 9 spec maps needed to be customised per scene tongue.gif
  • PaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    more just values associated with it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Right you are mop. Spec power not the pixels (in cases I've seen, anyways)

I can think of one engine where there is a spec power map: Unreal 3. In this case you would need to change the pixel data to change the spec power.

-R
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    what is spec power?
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    And why would you need to change this "spec power" depending on the scene? That sounds pretty wasteful - surely just one map should be made to work for any lighting situation?
  • Asthane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asthane polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    And why would you need to change this "spec power" depending on the scene? That sounds pretty wasteful - surely just one map should be made to work for any lighting situation?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well... different spec colors might be good for daylight/dungeon/etc maybe? But yeah I would think that if you need differences per-light, properties on the lights should suffice.
  • JKim3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKim3 polycounter lvl 18
    The 'different channel' you were refering to, is it the job postings one?

Whoops. Didn't mean for it to sound snippy.
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    on a related side note, does anyone know how to do kool aid?
    i got the sugar and powder and water but when i throw them all in the air and say "oh yeah!™" i just make a big stain on my carpet..

also does anyone know how to do driving a car? just curious, i do delivery for bagel hut and realy need to know.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    arshlevon i dunno about that stuff but you know how to make me laugh
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 19
    Arsh, you are my hero. OH YEAH!
  • PaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    Mop: that would make sense, yeah, but my experience has been different with source tech, doom3 tech, fear tech, unreal3 tech, and the 2 other propriety PPL engines I've worked with in the last few years. But I'm not makin' this issue up. It's the reason my art director wants me to use unique material settings for each texture we reuse in our game. It's just a reality Environment artists have to deal with if they want the control that we're after for our product.

-R
  • Frankie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frankie polycounter lvl 19
    What engine are you using now PaK?
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    -do you understand howto harness the power of per pixel fall off from per pixel lights.

[/ QUOTE ]
    You might want to get a clearer definition of what your AD is asking for here. Falloff could be the near and far distance ranges that each light's intensity ramps up/down. Not a per-pixel effect, but per-light.

Or the falloff he/she is speaking of could be a Fresnel type of effect, where the intensity of the light reflecting off the surface could be increased depending on the normals of the surface (brighter along the edges, or the inverse). This could be masked per-pixel with a grayscale map (or even colored with RGB, similar to specular color mapping).

[ QUOTE ]
    -do you know howto tweak a spec map on a per light basis (spec power settings usually have to customized per lit scene...

[/ QUOTE ]Again, ask for clarification. Sounds like you want to just alter the materials for separate objects, so each has different specular values, instead of making multiple materials for the same entity that are each applied depending on which light is hitting it.

The latter might be cool, but you'd have to be very careful since the engine would likely have to render each surface multiple times for each light's material (lots of passes can equal poor performance), then additively-composite the materials together to make the final surface (can quickly overbright the surface).

[ QUOTE ]
    -vertex lighting allowed for tweaks of the vertex colors to 'fudge;' the lighting. Those controls are now pushed onto the textures on a per pixel level. Do you know howto control these variables.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Not difficult, most engines allow this. Adjust the vertex color in your 3D app. Your app should allow you to bake lighting into vertex colors, and you should also be able to paint/alter the colors too.

The vertex color is usually multiplied against the bitmaps to get the final surface color. Other math ops can be used, to allow the vertex color to both brighten and darken the bitmaps for better color range (similar to the Overlay op in Photoshop), or they can use just plain old additive. Makes a big difference which op is used, you'll have to adjust your bitmaps to work well with it.

Dunno if that helps. Again, ask your AD (and the programmers) more questions. Keep pestering them until you understand how things really work.
  • doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
    sounds like a pretty tight skill set to search for. You might just want to look for Tech or Lighting Artists.
  • Frankie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh wait, I get it. You arn't asking questions this is a job advert!
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    i'm confused as to what it is, really ... are you looking for a guy to hire, or are you looking for someone to help you out with learning this stuff?
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh oops, it's a want ad. PaK I thought you were asking for info. Best of luck, and yeah, wrong section.
  • PaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    yeah..i've learned my lesson eric :P

I was tryna think on my feet here, i should have anticipated how quickly you guys would disect every word.

So any takers?

-R
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yup Per. I got the same general feeling as you, and English is my first language, albeit American English.

No hard feelings there PaK. I think most artists around here are just excited by the mention of per-pixel anything. I know I am!

Good luck with your search. And do try posting in the Paid section, probably get more hits.
  • PaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    Per, I think it's a perfectly acceptable question, just the wrong forum. The spacifics were unimportant. i know what i was after...and that;'s all that counts. i dont mean to be rude, but i was collecting data not exploring an idea or trying to prove a point.

So dont accuse me of anything, I wasn't insulting anyone. When was the last time I insulted Eric, Daz or anyone is this thread? *whatever*

-R

-R
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    PaK, get your panties untwisted. Per made a perfectly valid point, he wasn't "accusing" you, as such.
    Per is also right that your questions were very vague... and no, it's not that "you know what you were after" that counts - it's other people understanding what you're after that counts.

Surely you, who talks about workflow and pipeline all the time, should understand the importance of clear communication.
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    Bar couch any trampoline dog infant g string?
    Different sandwich allegra don vito is the charger. If cannibis sandwich panties collapse then afterward isnt very drowsy. So at any rate, the traveler is congested past orniment barista dyke ball.

i need the postion filled by tuesday if anyone here meets these requirements then just damage a dildo on a liberty bell.
  • pogonip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pogonip polycounter lvl 18
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    is this an artist position, or programmer? I have no clue what this thread is about.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arsh you are hilarious.
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    Pak was like OWNED! ahahhahahahaaaaa
  • StrangeFate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StrangeFate polycounter lvl 18
    do we need to have the damaged dildo with us as proof ?
  • Frankie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I can reccomend my friend, hes great at harnessing stuff, per pixel or not!
    Lee%20harness.jpg
  • LordScottish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LordScottish polycounter lvl 18
    laugh.gif arsh, I think he get's your point
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Per, you should write a tutorial on how we can all use your Pixel Lighting!
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    I've done it, can do it, Photoshop or Z-Brush... But like most artists, I just can't explain it. :-)

Scott