Home General Discussion

ooooh my please make this a reality.

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
bearkub polycounter lvl 18
http://www.theindychannel.com/entertainment/5417670/detail.html

just one more time so I can actually see them live. Admittedly, without Syd, but still.

PLEEEEEASE.

Replies

• killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    they are sooo old.
    5417577_400X300.jpg
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    They are now, but they make sooooo great music smile.gif
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    http://www.theindychannel.com/entertainment/5417670/detail.html

just one more time so I can actually see them live. Admittedly, without Syd, but still.

PLEEEEEASE.

[/ QUOTE ]

Like you were even alive to see them with syd, LOL NOOB.

If They got back to together to just to tour it would be AWERSOME, but if they got back to pump out another shity album like the wall, the final cut or division bell i'de rather they just fuck off =D
  • Mishra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mishra polycounter lvl 18
    i dont think gilmour would have it, he and waters still dont get along that well i've heard. and gilmour is the best part of pink floyd. so there.
  • bearkub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bearkub polycounter lvl 18
    EQ: good point. Another Division Bell is something I don't think I can handle.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Floyd started going down hill with wish you were here, the wall is compartively a shity album in my opinion. Great albums being thier early stuff, Atom heart mother, Obscured by clouds, Piper at the gates of dawn and of course Dark Side being the peak.
  • sal_manilla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sal_manilla polycounter lvl 18
    Loved 'em at Live 8 smile.gif I woulnd't mind if they toured playing the good old stuff just so I could see 'em once. grin.gif
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    2:49:58 PM per128: shitty album like the wall..
    3:16:49 PM EarthQuake: rite
    3:17:07 PM EarthQuake: eryting after darkside wasnt very good
    3:17:24 PM EarthQuake: the wall is like 2 hours of lame depressing music
    3:19:57 PM per128: so, it's not your cup of tea. I'm sure you dont fail to see what an enormous appreciation there is for that album both publically and within the music industry though.
    Then again I'm not surprised the wall is too much to digest for the american mind, kik
    3:21:18 PM EarthQuake: Oh no i understand it, compared to most other music the wall is fantastic, but relative to floyd standards it is not.
    3:22:02 PM EarthQuake: http://boards.polycount.net/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=85246&page=0&vc=#Post85246
    3:22:06 PM EarthQuake: see reply
    3:22:56 PM per128: you're still not writing what you dont like about it
    3:23:37 PM EarthQuake: it has none of the energy and power of thier more raw early stuff, just drawn out depressing late-70s rock
    3:25:36 PM per128: in the flesh, the happiest days, another brick, hey you.. wait.. almost every single song on that album is emotionally gripping and has more vocal and instrument energy and raw craziness in it.. a lot of the earlier stuff is like meditative and calm.
    3:26:08 PM EarthQuake: you're right it does have alot of energy, but its a very different energy
    3:27:01 PM EarthQuake: but its not the energy that i feel made floyd so great
    3:28:39 PM EarthQuake: you can understand what im saying, right?
    3:28:42 PM per128: usually when referring to something going downhill it means they can't produce as they used to, the singer loses his voice, the lyrics arent as good. Floyd simply changed direction and you didn't like the new direction. Also, if they just made the same shit like before that would be a serious lack of originality in my eyes. Thats what gilmoure does
    3:29:17 PM EarthQuake: yeah thats basicly right
    3:29:49 PM EarthQuake: im not questioning the motives, just stating my opinion on the result
    3:31:10 PM EarthQuake: oh i forgot to mention meddle
    3:31:59 PM per128: I'm just saying the way you wrote about it being shit sounded like you had like a genuine complaint about a lack of quality, as opposed to the music taking a turn you didnt personally enjoy.
    Like, I really do NOT like them after waters left, but the music is still awesome, in terms of being extremely well made. I just dont like it. So I won't call it shit smile.gif just like I dont listen to britney spears, but that is actually GOOD music, not shit. IT's just no waayyyyy my style
    3:32:36 PM EarthQuake: Yeah i see
    3:33:07 PM EarthQuake: ill paste this secret conversation so i dont get flamed
    3:34:30 PM per128: omg my britney obsession will be made public
  • Moz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moz polycounter lvl 18
    Obscured by clouds is my favourate.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    and gilmour is the best part of pink floyd.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pink Floyd Lite didn't change your viewpoint?

I also got to see Waters alone and I went to the Division Bell concert. Waters definetly has charisma, (and a voice that has held up better) than Gilmour.

I want to see Waters musical...
  • Dukester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dukester polycounter lvl 18
    Remember when they were young?

Hmm. Never thought Pink Floyd went down hill after Dark Side. The Wall was pretty damn good, not my favorite, but defeinately not a disapointment. And I would never have considered it to be a shitty album at all!

Wish you were here. Great.

Maybe because I was able to drive down to the record store and buy them with my own money when they originally were released has clouded my opinion some.

lol shitty and Pink Floyd in the same sentence lol
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isn't it kinda cool Duke how cross generational they are? smile.gif
  • Dukester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It is, you are absolutely right. Good music is good music smile.gif

But that opens up a whole new can of worms for me.
    My Dad was born in 1930. He has always hated Rock or Soul or whatever, with a passion. I can understand that generation gap. What I don't understand is how can there be a musical generation gap between 36 year old parents and 16 year old kids.

I never became one of the oldie listeners. It's all rock to me and I listen to whatever is new and on the radio.

It's just always puzzled me.
  • Mishra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    and gilmour is the best part of pink floyd.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pink Floyd Lite didn't change your viewpoint?

I also got to see Waters alone and I went to the Division Bell concert. Waters definetly has charisma, (and a voice that has held up better) than Gilmour.

I want to see Waters musical...

[/ QUOTE ]

i mean as a part of pink floyd. if he wasnt in it i dont think they'd be nearly as good as they are now. he is an excellent guitarist but hes not very good at writing songs so i'd say that waters needs to be there to give direction, but i could say i wouldn't listen to pink floyd without gilmour. i could listen to it without waters if they got a decent song writer dagnabbit
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would say gilmour is the guitarist. And Walter is the song writer. :P smile.gif
  • jzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jzero polycounter lvl 18
    Know what's sad? I had the teenage leader of our Venture Scouts crew in the car the other day, driving her home, and Dark Side of The Moon was in the CD player. In my mind, that record has always stood as the pinnacle of the Album Rock era, all that stuff I didn't really get when I was in Junior High.

I asked her, "What's the big, über CD that people your age listen to? What's the end-all epic album?"

She said, "People don't really care that much about music anymore."

Well, shit. More's the pity. Kids today!

/jzero
  • sal_manilla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sal_manilla polycounter lvl 18
    jzero; That's BS. I'd hate to meet the crowd she hangs with. Sheesh! smirk.gif
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    What I don't understand is how can there be a musical generation gap between 36 year old parents and 16 year old kids.

I never became one of the oldie listeners. It's all rock to me and I listen to whatever is new and on the radio.

It's just always puzzled me.

[/ QUOTE ]

When I was 16 (not all that long ago), my parents were 40 and 39, and we listen to a lot of the same music. I remember when I was young (around 8 years old), my parents were really into bands like Soundgarden, Cake, The Offspring, etc. My brother started to listen to Metallica around that age, and my dad could listen to that with him (my mom didn't really like Metallica). Then in the mid nineties, my mom got into White Zombie when Astrocreep 2000 came out (kind of strange, since she doesn't really like heavy stuff). My parent's were also pretty big Nine Inch Nails fans since "Pretty Hate Machine," and I remember them listening to "Downward Spiral" a lot even though they tried to keep that away from us because of the explicit lyrics.

When I was young I also remember my parents listened to CCR, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, SRV etc. which is why I have an appreciation for that music. And now my mom has really gotten into stuff like Radiohead since she hears my brothers and I listening to it a lot. I think good music is just good music, which is why I listen to such a wide variety of groups and genres.

I think the musical generation gap that you're referring to (between young parents and their kids) is usually the result of people having a very narrow taste in music. The parents don't like to listen to anything other than what they listened to in highschool, and their kids don't want to listen to anything that isn't considered trendy.
  • Dukester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The parents don't like to listen to anything other than what they listened to in highschool, and their kids don't want to listen to anything that isn't considered trendy.

well said smile.gif
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    I'm just glad I didn't grow up in a family like that. My friend's dad is about 45 years older than him and his mom grew up in Germany, so they only listens to Opera or Classical. When I mention that my parents are the ones who introduced me to music like Cake, Beck, The Offspring, he's just blown away because that's the kind of music his parents usually tried to prevent him from listening to. I guess it is kind of weird to most people.
  • Mishra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    The parents don't like to listen to anything other than what they listened to in highschool, and their kids don't want to listen to anything that isn't considered trendy.

well said smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

i dont even know whats trendy anymore. hipsters shun me because i dont like modest mouse etc that much and gangstas shun me because i dont like rap. frown.gif i tend to listen to my own stuff, which is a lot of stuff. i havent found many people my age into muddy waters or buddy holly or the kinks. i listen to a lot of stuff my mom listens to in the areas of pink floyd and zeppelin and stuff, and some stuff my girlfriends parents listen to, and stuff that the people who i like listen to.
  • Dukester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    When I mention that my parents are the ones who introduced me to music like Cake, Beck, The Offspring, he's just blown away because that's the kind of music his parents usually tried to prevent him from listening to. I guess it is kind of weird to most people.

[/ QUOTE ]

My childhood was more or les stereotypical 60-70's. My parents are/were like a cross between "That 70's Show" and "The Wonder Years" parents.

They never ever tried to prevent me from listening to music, but I got a lot of comments from my Dad like, "How can you understand what they are saying?"
    Mom was younger so she was into the 50's rock and roll thing so she was a little more open to stuff. Still is. Dad was/is at times very "Red Foreman" ish laugh.gif

I just would not have known what to do if I was buying the same album as my Dad. One of us would have had to been crazy laugh.gif
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    She said, "People don't really care that much about music anymore."

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe because the re-hashed shit that the music industry is paying to make top 40's on radio?