Home General Discussion

Xbox 360 BOX sells for over $600

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
nitzmoff polycounter lvl 18
Unbelieveable. Wish I thought of it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...QfromZR8QQfviZ1

Edit: Read carefully. This is the BOX ONLY.

Replies

• Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Thats pretty close to the UK street price with the $US being worth fuck all at the minute. We saw ones last week hitting $1500.
  • nitzmoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Read the thread title more closely folks. It says the **BOX** sells for over $600.
  • Paul Jaquays
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul Jaquays polycounter lvl 18
    A launch day auction sold some kind of combo package for $3050.00 USD. In case you didn't actually READ that first auction (which I bet a bunch of bidders did not either), the seller was only selling a Box. It wasn't even a real XBox 360 box. I think I see someone losing their eBay account and maybe even being prosecuted for this.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    yeah in some ways i find nothing wrong with this, the guy mentioned like a gazilion times that it was fake,

but then rember all the crazy old grandparents who get on the internet and are trusting and dumb, wanting to buy gifts for their lil grand son,

so i really don't know what side i'm on in this..

altho either way, M$ should sue the hell out of him for copyright infringement
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    PS2 boxes were also sold for crazy amounts, what happend to the sellers?
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    how about the PICTURE of xbox360 with all launch games?
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    This is not even a factory made xbox 360 box. I made it myself, just a few minutes ago. It does not contain an Xbox 360 console, just the Xbox 360 home-made box. this box is great hand made by me says XBOX right on it It doesn't look anything like the picture I included in the auction. It looks much better, in my opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

So it isn't even really an Xbox 360 box, but something the guy made. So he could have just taken an empty cardboard box and wrote "Xbox 360" on it in crayon.

If he was selling an actual factory box I would feel that this was, at a minimum, unethical. As it stands right now, he is showing a picture of something that he is not actually selling. Isn't that false advertising or something?
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    You will also notice that that seller is now no longer a registered Ebay user smile.gif

I remember this happening with PS2 boxes.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    What an idiot. Goes through a lot of trouble just to explain that you're getting nothing, and people are still misled.

Also, i wonder what Microsoft thinks about the fact they could have released the Xbox360 with a price of a couple thousand, and still many hopeless losers would have bought them...and after the first crash, killed themselves.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Oh, I remember when Microsoft tried to sell the XBox for 960 DEM (~500 Euros) at launch here, two weeks (or was it months?) later they dropped the price to 600 and offered an apology-package (controller, two games, DVD remote, something like that) to those who paid the original price.
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    There was this theory that MS intentionally keeps the supply as low as possible to generate hype and the "i want it too" attitude so when they flood the market a bit closer to christmas, it would sell like hotcakes, "cause you know its hard to get so i better buy it when i can".
  • LordScottish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LordScottish polycounter lvl 18
    At least in Switzerland it would be no problem to appeal such a contract. I don't think it's different in the U.S.
  • nitzmoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas- Less a theory and more an internal memo. It was leaked a while back. Might be able to find it. I remember my old Art Director had a copy of it or something.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Nitzmoff, if it's the memo I'm thinking of, all it said was for retailers to have "sold out" signs ready, and to display them prominently. All that means is that they knew they wouldn't have enough, and were planning for it. That's different from deliberately not having enough.

Also, my Xbox 360 sold for 910 USD on ebay, but it was the actual console.

poop.gif
  • pogonip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pogonip polycounter lvl 18
    what a bunch of f-ing morons ..only Diablo 360 would get me to pay that much smile.gif
  • Nerd Groupie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nerd Groupie polycounter lvl 18
    Every board I'm on has threads about the crazy prices people are paying for the 360's on Ebay. Sad part is, none of them have been the same links. So...many...stupid...people...
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    There was this theory that MS intentionally keeps the supply as low as possible to generate hype and the "i want it too" attitude so when they flood the market a bit closer to christmas, it would sell like hotcakes, "cause you know its hard to get so i better buy it when i can".

[/ QUOTE ]

No. The truth is there is a shortage. And the rason is simple. They can't make enough.

The final hardware and specs were decided late in the project and they went for close international release dates.

why don't they make an absolut ton in advance? There are only so many factories, and you don't build more factories for a such a short time release. The same logistics is true for certain games also - you simply cannot make enough in advance between going gold and the release date to have a worldwide simultaneous release, so you make enough for one territory. Europeon plants have been used to make US versions of a game simply to ensure there is enough stock for the US release, then the US plants do likewise for the Europeon release.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    but then rember all the crazy old grandparents who get on the internet and are trusting and dumb

[/ QUOTE ]

Ignorant is one thing. Stupid is another. They are people who dont know the system well enough. Now, after the situation is explained to them, and then they choose to bid anyways, we can question their sanity.
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    It's not that people are stupid, but it is probably people who simply don't care about the price frown.gif
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Read the thread again, it fooled a few "gamer savy" people here. where it was clearly spelled out in the thread title. If it was ever a better time to pull the scam it was now. If it fools a few Polycounters who I would think are not hitting the early bird special at Dennys so they can get back in time to watch "The Wheel", it must be a half decent scam.
  • Lee3dee