• eXpendabLe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eXpendabLe polycounter lvl 18
  • Gmanx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    Great! Now we can scare the livin' bejeezus out of EACHOTHER!
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Sure took their sweet time with it. Time that could have been used to create the first mods for it.

Downside: They expect me to turn on BOTH Flash and cookies for their stupid website. Plus their stupid FTP isn't responding to Opera so I had to use SmartFTP just for that.

I hope there's some way to get a model in there that does not involve Maya or MAX (or XSI, for that matter).

EDIT: Half the size of the SDK is the video tutorials. Nice but shouldn't that be a separate download?

EDIT2: Max 6/7 and Maya 6 only. No format specs
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    so let me get this straight, you dont want to use max, maya, or xsi to export models into a game? What are you using, milkshape?
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    watching the FEAR videos, i think i'll stick with using the unreal editor. hehe this doesn't look artist friendly, kinda like the doom 3 editor.
  • scanning_factor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    scanning_factor polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    watching the FEAR videos, i think i'll stick with using the unreal editor.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a good idea, it really isn't that friendly. Also the "SDK" is incomplete, it's more of a mapping toolset. Character and animation exporting is absent (even though its referenced in the documentation) and im not sure about props. Definitely not quite the complete package that Epic always releases frown.gif Here's praying for a public release of the UE3 tools before next christmas grin.gif
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Maya scripts look like they include character tools, at least there's an mpLipSyncExport.mel.
  • scanning_factor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    The Maya scripts look like they include character tools, at least there's an mpLipSyncExport.mel.

[/ QUOTE ]

hehe, yeah, they also reference a plugin that isnt included with the SDK, i spent a good day going through the mel scripts line by line trying to get them to work confused.gif
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That sounds REALLY bad. Is there at least a game rules editor?
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    I remember when this first happened. But, back in those days, we called it FarCry.

Honestly, I think more developers are doing this just so you won't uninstalled their game so soon.
  • scanning_factor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]

Honestly, I think more developers are doing this just so you won't uninstalled their game so soon.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the way it seems with FEAR, its like VU said, hmmmm. . .worked for HL and UT, let's do it too, so they slapped something together to try and garner a community. Problem is they didn't realize that UT had a really robust and well developed toolset. Once the UE3 tools get released publicly, the bar for mod tools is going to go through the roof. . .

Scary thing is that there are people on the FEAR forums that think the SDK is actually good and worth using.
  • eXpendabLe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eXpendabLe polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, this SDK is absolute crap. The level editor is fine.. but there are no game assets included other that textures/materials/sounds. NO PREFABS!! go out and make empty levels, brilliant!

No documentation on MP/SP requirements, scripting AI etc.. I'm pretty dissapointed because I really liked the game and could see making a level or two for it.
  • Kraftwerk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kraftwerk polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    I remember when this first happened. But, back in those days, we called it FarCry.

[/ QUOTE ]

Remember this one and that [easiest modable game ever] quote
    from some Crytek devs, well at least there is now C++ Code
    available, no XSI Exporter and others outdated ohh well. No
    need to say i wont bother trying to do stuff in Fear.
  • diZzyWalnut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    diZzyWalnut polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

. . . Problem is they didn't realize that UT had a really robust and well developed toolset. Once the UE3 tools get released publicly, the bar for mod tools is going to go through the roof. . .

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope (and I'm praying) that EPIC will not changer his great habit and they will realy realize all the UE3 tools with UT 2007.I'm waiting for.
    crazy.gif
    ...just do it , please ! wink.gif