Home General Discussion

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Asherr polycounter lvl 18
in theatres tommorow!

don't know when i will be seeing it though. i could wait for snemmy and kahlan to visit and see it then or i could just go see it saturday and then again when they visit wink.gif

smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

Replies

• notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    I'm taking my kids this weekend. They are hyping up the PG-13 rating again I see, suggesting it's too scary for younger kids. I'm going to take my 8 yr old anyways wink.gif
  • jzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jzero polycounter lvl 18
    It's too scary for kids younger than 13 to go see by themselves. It's just to let you know that there's more SCAYRY stuff than you'd expect from normal PG. Kids younger than 10 might need to hold Dad's hand at times. (I have a 12yr old son and a 9yr old daughter.)

There aren't too many things around these days that both kids and adults can get excited about together, and I relish that. I think we'll be looking back on when these books and movies were new with fond memories.

Looking forward to: The Dark Mark, including its iteration on Snape's arm; Mad-Eye Moody's eye, and his attitude about Dementors (even though he's the fake one); all those crazy monsters in the tournament; Harry's hormonal angst; and, of course, the corporeal appearance of he-who-must-be-named-Voldemort.

/jzero
  • Slayerjerman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slayerjerman polycounter lvl 18
    this is going to rock smile.gif

i got imax tix for sunday!
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was considering the IMAX, but it's so expensive here that I can't bring myself to buying the tickets anymore unless it's in 3D. If they had converted (or made), this movie to support 3D, we would SO be at the IMAX this weekend wink.gif
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    my gf bought advanced tickets days ago. should be an exciting Friday morning.
  • skrubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skrubbles polycounter lvl 18
    oooOOOOooooOOOOooo! I'm with you Slayjerman... gonna get my IMAX tickets for Monday night!
  • FunkaDelicDass
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FunkaDelicDass polycounter lvl 18
    Last time I saw an IMAX movie, I got a splitting headache, but I'd put my health on the line to see this on the big, big screen. I can't wait.
  • Striff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Striff polycounter lvl 18
    Looking forward to both this and "Walk the Line"...think im going to do a double feature.
  • pogonip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pogonip polycounter lvl 18
    Im with you striff both look really good ;-)
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    Don't forget your robes and wands.
    Just kidding.
    I might see it too.
  • Sinistar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sinistar polycounter lvl 17
    Wow I didn't know this was coming out on IMAX. The last Hollywood movie I saw on IMAX was Spiderman 2. I liked it better than seeing in a conventional theater.
  • b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    ah, Got ticket for midnight show , GOING in like 5 hour yay
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    Just saw it last night. Ralph Fiennes as Voldemort rocked!!
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    I really don't like these films much, but I got invited to go with a group of friends so I guess I'll be seeing it.

[ QUOTE ]
    I'm taking my kids this weekend. They are hyping up the PG-13 rating again I see, suggesting it's too scary for younger kids. I'm going to take my 8 yr old anyways wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Eh, they should be able to handle it. When I was 8 years old, my dad took me to see Tombstone, and I turned out just fine... well, at least I think so laugh.gif.
  • Cubik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cubik polycounter lvl 18
    Easily the best of the four. Go see it!
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Damn you Yankee's and your early release dates. Its still weeks away from here.
  • b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    Ya was Nice.. I know people that didnt touch the book, will easily dig this one for sure.

I read the books and I did enjoy it a bit. but I dunno, The editing was weird, way to fast, many interesting detail were missing. I was expecting at least 1 more hour of full content.. Still Some sweet work.!

ben
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    Harry Potter films are great. Harry Potter fans are aggravating.

I enjoyed this one, just like the others. I haven't read any of the books, but I know there is plenty of story within them that can't be put into 2 hr film. And I'm constantly reminded of that. So the pacing sometimes feels a little off.
  • Kytos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kytos polycounter lvl 18
    I liked the movie as its own thing. But they chose to leave out some stuff that is pretty important to later books. I don't know how their going to work that in now.

The extra bit they added in with Snape was great.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    i'm rated PG-13
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well I'm not taking my kids to see you wink.gif
    (although I do want to visit Scotland)
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    work rented a theater this morning and took eveyone to see it it was fun, and matabus and kman/xenobond were so cute dressed up in their wizzard robes

was a good movie, tho this movie made the 3rd one seem even stupider, i hated the third cause there seemed to be no real point in it, i kinda accepted it cause i figured that it would be setting things up for future movies, and then in this movie, i noticed, NOTHING FROM THAT MOVIE CARRIED OVER at least nothing that really needed a whole movie to set up

overview of the 3rd movie

Harry: oh no this evil sirious black is bugging me
    sirious: BOO I"M EVIL
    Harry: OH NO!!
    Sirious: SIKE i'm your uncle and i love you! *playful fake punch to the shoulder
    Harry: oh you cad! give me a hug!
  • pogonip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    WHats funny Rhino, is most reviewers find the third the strongest.....

You should set up your own reviews..

"Movie Reviews.. for REAL Men"

smile.gif
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    they only reviewed it good because gary oldman the best actor in the universe was in it,
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    This one was actually my least favorite out of the four. I still enjoyed it though.
  • pogonip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have to agree with Astro.
  • Jelmer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jelmer polycounter lvl 17
    Jelmer is speechless though. Who cares about the directing and acting, when you got ILM and Mill giving you these B E A T I F U L images on a huge ass screen.
    I loved every second of this movie, and can't recall any movie where I was sucked into as much as with this one. Big props for the set dressers and post production people. My Favorite Potter movie so far. Damn I'm still excited, this thing blew me away.
  • swampbug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    swampbug polycounter lvl 18
    this post is a winey.. sorry.
    saw it last night.. Meh. They just keep getting worse and worse for me.

Imagery is cool.. but the storys and pacing just reek. I was also surprised at how jisjointed the plot was. I really never know whats going on. I understand Ingmar Bergman films more than goblet of fire.

The best parts of the movie includes.. the mistimed cannon scenes, the dance ball (I wish the movie was all about teenagers going through puberty), and my personal favorite, when the grounds keeper runs into the main hall with that hiliarious limp run.

thats all.

Doom pleased me more than this.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LOL, yeah, the grounds keeper is pretty funny. I liked the movie overall. I haven't read any of the books, and probably would never have checked out the movies originally, if my kids weren't into the books. I just find them all ending the same way, almost predictably.

As for the scariness of the movie, my 8 year old spent some time hiding under her coat and peaking out the side... which was funny for me to watch. She wasn't terrified, just a little over-reacting wink.gif
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    I really enjoyed it. The dragon was awesome!

poop.gif
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    The dragon was awesome!

[/ QUOTE ]
    Signed... the little versions were cool also
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    it was a good movie, more time should have been spent on all those girls from that one school. and there was camel toe in the movie laugh.gif
  • neolith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    neolith polycounter lvl 18
    I really, really disliked the movie.

There are way to many scenes in it you can only understand if you read the book. And if you did, you'll find so many important things the movie lacks when compared to the book. I know that there are always thing that have to be cut down when adapting a book, why the chickens did they add such a long and pointless race with the dragon across Hogwarts? Yes the dragon looked awesome, but that was just a cheap action scene. Why did they display Moody's real identity? Why are the first 45 minutes so darn boring? Why did they leave out things that are important in the other books?

I liked the part at the dance, but the rest was... disapointing to say the least.
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    just got back from seeing it. was great. smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif
  • tpe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tpe polycounter lvl 18
    It seem that this like starwars and LOTR all suffer in the later installments from not giving the characters any character, the little funny quirks like strange sweets and mad robots get left out and they spend too much time just following the plot instead of making a fun atmosphere. Oh well i really enjoyed it anyway.

tpe
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    i really enjoyed the movie.
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    move over Vader! there's a new Dark Lord in town laugh.gif

what a great performance
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    I went to see this film yesterday, I thought it was utter dross.

The production value is high, and the specials nice.

But the acting is terrible, story shabby and full of holes, and we are meant to play along to characters that are hardly fleshed out.

Why is there this cup tournament thing?

Most of the film I was sitting there thinking "WTF"
  • SkullboX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SkullboX polycounter lvl 18
    I went to see it with my girlfiend and had a great time, though partly because I go to the cinema primairly as a date, so I'm quite a bit easier on the film in question.

I really enjoyed the film, the storytelling and pacing were messy but it was as with the others exactly the kind of entertainment I was expecting, and there was a great atmosphere in the theatre. The movie started out extremly bad and featured horrible sets, cosutmes ad special effects - but when they went back to hogwarts it was all good.

Seeing as the producers realise the target audience matures with each film, I hope they let the darker tone kick more in in the next one - and let Ridley Scott Direct one of them smile.gif
  • skrubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skrubbles polycounter lvl 18
    Finally got around to seeing it this past weekend. I've read the book and I had a feeling that if I didn't I would've missed out big time. The movie did an ok job cutting things down considering a lot happens in the book. Though sadly almost ALL the character driven side stories are not in the film frown.gif If they were smart they would have (and maybe they did but I doubt it) done what LOTR did and film all the extra stories and re-edit the film with more character growth and sell a special extended edition dvd... there's more then enough fans that would shell out the money for that... I WOULD!!!

All in all it was sweet. Unfortunately IMAX was sold out this weekend, so I'll have to try again for my next viewing smile.gif
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    hated it, loads of details that werent true to the film, the dragon scene its too much time...i know they wanted to show it off and shit , but cmon...half of that wasnt in the book...its cool...but pointless...the yule ball , too much time, rita skeeter man...i was so disapointed...

the passing of the movie was ridiculous...they payed too much attention to stuff that could have been spent on other important details..i mean, noone can understand how carty crouch junior escapes unless they read the book...its very badly directed...
    Voldemort doesnt scare at all...he seems hyperactive...not calm and evil...Emma watson is terrible actress...Dumbledore..looks like a maniac i dunno...the movie is getting very irritating...thank god theres alan rickman as snape...the only decent actor there.
  • sal_manilla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sal_manilla polycounter lvl 18
    Saw it tonight...FINALLY! I liked it a lot. Everything.
    Man some of your guys are tough critics. Do you try to enjoy and be entertained....or do you tear it apart because of your arteestic background. Sheesh! confused.gif