Home Technical Talk

QUAKE 4 - SDK now available

diZzyWalnut
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
diZzyWalnut polycounter lvl 18
Hello,

I don't know If anybody's seen this great news , but I prefere to post it.

QUAKE 4 - SDK is now available :

http://www.idsoftware.com/

or

http://www.iddevnet.com/

ooo.gif that's very cool from idsoftware . wink.gif

thank You a lot

Replies

• Zatoichi
    Offline / Send Message
    Zatoichi polycounter lvl 18
    Yes. I think I hear a loud rush of people running to the Quake4 engine from Doom3 hoping for more user base.
  • Gmanx
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    There seems (at first glance) to be a wealth of helpful guides and such on the site. Huzzah!
  • ironbearxl
    Offline / Send Message
    ironbearxl polycounter lvl 18
  • MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Wow, that's awesome. They've got all the info you really need to create an entire custom player model on there. Even have examples of modelling and texturing, and how to assemble and compile everything.

Very good resource. Also looks like the Q4 players don't have to match the default skeleton, so that means yaaay artistic freedom!

I guess I'll have to go and buy Quake 4 now...
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    I can't even download the SDk...lol
    'too many users' on the FTP. Doh..
  • ironbearxl
    Offline / Send Message
    ironbearxl polycounter lvl 18
    I'm with you MoP!

BTW, The hitmap feature is awesome:

"The hit map indicates to the engine what kind of material parts of your creature or character are made of, such as solid metal, hollow metal, rubber, etc. Effects are also tied to it and fire when that particular area is shot. Flesh will squirt blood when shot. Metal will emit sparks when shot. Concrete will spout puffs of dust and pebbles. We created a material detection system based on the RGB setting numbers of particular colors."

I have a question about the spec map tut though, when they mention the local map are they talking about the bump map?
  • MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I think they're referring to a local-space normal-map, but I'm not sure. Maybe it's just the bump map.
  • KDR_11k
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    In Doom 3 it was convention to call all normalmaps yourtexture_local.tga so I think they mean the NMs.
  • Mark Dygert
    I might actually make a PPM for Quake4, I can't stop reading the info they have. Suprisily most of it makes sense and is pretty straight forward. Pitty they haven't added a max exporter yet =/ but oh well that's life =)
  • Scott Ruggels
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    So when will someone post the RTequired Animation list for In Game Playermodels? Also do Alpha Transparencies work?

Scott
  • Mark Dygert
    I would imagine they do, but I can't remember seeing any examples of Alpha's in-game, I'm sure they are there.
  • arshlevon
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I might actually make a PPM for Quake4, I can't stop reading the info they have. Suprisily most of it makes sense and is pretty straight forward. Pitty they haven't added a max exporter yet =/ but oh well that's life =)

[/ QUOTE ]

they havent.. but that didnt stop someone else from doing it!!
    the doom3 md5 exporter exports models animations and cameras for cinematics and it all works great on quake 4

here are all the max tools and some info about them..
    http://www.doom3world.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=2675

have fun!!
  • diZzyWalnut
    Offline / Send Message
    That's really cool , there's also modelviewer inside of the game Q4.
    Ctrl + Alt + ~
    ( or Ctrl + Alt + ² )
    You can download any model of game and study his wireframes
    (for exemple)-
    gladiator_wireframe.jpg

....or also see any animation.

gladiator.gif

really great , ooo.gif
    thanks goes again to ID & RAVEN.
  • vahl
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    from what I saw, the entity definitions for multiplayer models references are still under construction.So i guess we will have all the info to spread a ppm frenzy over the world !!! (polycount challenge idea, anyone ?)

dizzy : that animated pic of the gladiator (which is awesome ingame) really reminds me of an rts character smile.gif
  • KDR_11k
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Dizzy: +set com_allowConsole 1 in the commandline will get rid of the CTRL+ALT.
  • diZzyWalnut
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    from what I saw, the entity definitions for multiplayer models references are still under construction.So i guess we will have all the info to spread a ppm frenzy over the world !!! (polycount challenge idea, anyone ?)

dizzy : that animated pic of the gladiator (which is awesome ingame) really reminds me of an rts character smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    Did You contact someone at RAVEN or ID ? ooo.gif
    I hope that they will realize "the definitions for multiplayer models". It will be great.
    I count on You , man -
    I will folow the white rabbit ...(matrix). laugh.gif

GLADIATOR -
    Are You talking about MOP's character ? I think that was Mop , isn't it ?
    He's realy nice one.

KDR -
    thank You wink.gif
  • BRUTICUS(CW)
    Offline / Send Message
    BRUTICUS(CW) polycounter lvl 18
    so does anyone know if you can add a character and he will be choosable in Quake 4 yet?
  • BRUTICUS(CW)
    Offline / Send Message
    Has anyone made skins for Q4 yet? It will be nice to know how adding characters is going to work. Are we going to need a mod? Ive been talking to people about a Lithium style mod. Maybe that would add such capabilities.
  • BRUTICUS(CW)
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Dizzy: +set com_allowConsole 1 in the commandline will get rid of the CTRL+ALT.

[/ QUOTE ]

a Stroggos style character challenge would be cool. Or maybe take a character from Quake 1,2 or 3 and update him for Quake 4.
  • BRUTICUS(CW)
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking in the SDK, the maya files seem to be doing quite a bit of referencing.

Nice to see similarities between Q2 and Q3 in the setup.
    Now to find a maya exporter.
  • vahl
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    the maya exporter is included in quake4, as are all the other tools.(look in the doom3 section of iddevnet for the export commands, I think they also explain some of the commands in the quake 4 section).

as for the characters ingame, pior and myself managed to put ppms ingame, but you still have to enter a command line in the console, unfortunately, that's why we need the MP entity definition help files from raven...
    also we have a max and maya version of the skeleton (the one I re-did to test the ppms) we still need to test a few things to make sure everything is cool tho...
  • BRUTICUS(CW)
    Offline / Send Message
    Thats great man glad to hear you're having progress. Where is the Maya exporter? I couldn't find it in the SDK.

I really want the ease of choosing PPMs that Q2 had. Install the PPM choose your character, if the other player has it he sees you using it. If it will take a mod maybe we should do just that. Create a mod that does this. I have been speaking to someone about a Lithium style mod with new art assets and a finer tuned realization of the gaming style. Aswell as all the awesome server setting additions of course. A better PlayerCharacter browser might be a nice addition.
  • CheapAlert
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18