Xbox360 - Final launch lineup

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
The official launch lineup has been given. Not a bad selection, either:

- Amped 3 (2K Sports)
- Call of Duty 2 (Activision)
- Condemned: Criminal Origins (Sega)
- FIFA 06: Road to the World Cup (Electronic Arts)
- Gun (Activision)
- Kameo: Elements of Power (Microsoft Game Studios)
- Madden NFL 06 (Electronic Arts)
- NBA 2K6 (2K Sports)
- NBA Live 06 (Electronic Arts)
- Need for Speed Most Wanted (Electronic Arts)
- NHL 2K6 (2K Sports)
- Perfect Dark Zero (Microsoft Game Studios)
- Peter Jackson's King Kong (Ubisoft)
- Project Gotham Racing 3 (Microsoft Game Studios)
- Quake 4 (Activision)
- Ridge Racer 6 (Namco)
- Tiger Woods PGA Tour 06 (Electronic Arts)
- Tony Hawk's American Wasteland (Activision)

I think I'll be nabbing Perfect Dark, Project Gotham and Madden '06 to start. GUN and Amped 3 will probably be the next ones I pick up. What are your guy's picks?

Replies

• monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    Need for Speed Most Wanted.

That's right, you can't catch me.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    I'll probably wait a year until developers know wtf they're doing and produce games at Xbox's full potential.

I'll buy games now though and play them on the offices 360...
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    Wow, they sure have their sports and racing titles don't they? I would play Gun, and Ridge Racer if somebody gave me an XBox 360, but from this I see no reason to buy one yet.
  • LordScottish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LordScottish polycounter lvl 18
    I don't see any reason too for the next year. But I would propably buy cod2 and Gun if I had one, because my comp won't run cod2 with dx9 shaders smile.gif
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    Not planning to buy one anyways, but that line up is pretty dissapointing in my eyes frown.gif
    Some (probably medicore) PC ports, a few boring EA-Sport sequels, and one or two good racing games is not what I call a good launch lineup.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Err, what do you guys want then? Most of those games look great to me. I'm not sure what you're expecting here..
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    400 for the basic system? Hmmm when i see 300 on the price tag and it comes with a HD and a DVD remote then i'll get one. Untill then no.
  • nealb4me
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nealb4me polycounter lvl 18
    Too many damn sports games, need more racing games...
  • man_o_mule
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    man_o_mule polycounter lvl 18
    the ONLY game i would buy from that list is Condemned. that's the only original game that's not on the other systems that looks interesting. plus it's made by monolith, one of my favorite game companies.
  • nealb4me
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nealb4me polycounter lvl 18
    I'm very intrigued by it too, just hope you can get it going with mouse and keyboard.
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    Microsoft said that you won't be able to use a mouse/keyboard for any ingame action, just for chatting in the games.

PGR3, Condemned, and PD:Z are the only games that look exciting that aren't already released for PC...

kind of a weak lineup IMO.
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BoBo_the_seal polycounter lvl 18
    Kameo is the only thing that looks good to me on that list. Maybe Gun as well.

- BoBo
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    but Condemned looks to be a premiere hobo killing simulator! how can you go wrong! laugh.gif
  • nitzmoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nitzmoff polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Err, what do you guys want then? Most of those games look great to me. I'm not sure what you're expecting here..

[/ QUOTE ]

A Halo, a Soul Calibur, or a Mario 64. A game that unquestionably sells sytems. The X360 seems largely to me to fall into the 'buy it because it's new' genre of electronics. In my opinion, there's no killer app in that lineup, but we shall see.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    Seems like a pretty standard launch line up historically speaking. I wasn't expecting much but I got to take a look at some games running the 360 consumer unit set to 1080i on a sony wega lcd 21", and holy fucking shit! I did not expect the games to look that good, the videos on the internet do not do the visuals justice. I am completely blown away by the quantum leap in visuals, keep in mind there a few launch titles that look very current gen though. I'm waiting until I ship my first 360 title before I decide whether I want one or not, certainly looking forward to starting the project in a week though!
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    wow 7 games that are not sports or racing..

aren't most of those games alreadyout on other systems? what giant difrence will be in the 360 version? i mean besides the extra 10 - 15 bucks on the price tag
  • JKim3
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    i think i'll wait a bit first..
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    only obvious dif i can see on 360 is higher rez maps,

so far at release the 360 seems like a collossol waste of cash
  • nitzmoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nitzmoff polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, those Gun 360 shots are more like Xbox 1.5 than anything else. I'd be leary of any game with that many sku's.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Have a look at the nfs most wanted 360 version, and nba live 2006. Those were the two games that stood out that looked next gen not ported up from ps2. Also I suggest checking them out in person to really appreciate the visual quality. I've downloaded some movies but perhaps the movies are not hi def, or were captured in standard mode? When more developers start to embrace robust lighting pipelines we'll start to see the visual quality go way up.
  • JKim3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKim3 polycounter lvl 18
    Eh. Personally, $400 isn't something I'm willing to shell out for just graphics when I can get a current gen version. However, is this one of the larger launch line-ups in recent times? At least the ports are good for that.

For any of the ports, do the next-gen version have different gameplay?
  • Dio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dio polycounter lvl 18
    Lot of nay-sayers here. Its great line-up going by numbers and that does count for something. It says that developers are jumping on board, eager to produce content for it.

Im not really interested in anyone of the games but there is reason for hope. Nintendo has the brand recognition titles but developers seem to only be interested in their hand-helds. What were the killer apps for the PS2 and PS1? I remember getting 'Destruction Derby' when the PS1 launched, and I thought it was great. When the PS2 came about I poped DD in and couldnt believe how lame it was compared to the newer games of the day. Halo, as I recall, was not anticapated to be the killer app it was.

What has me salivating is Oblivion, which when released will percepitate my purchase of the 360.
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    Dio most of the devs jumping aboard are just porting their games over.
    Nintendo have devs "interested" in GC aswell, for ports that is.

To make my point clear, 13 of those games are ports and 3 are made by MS Game Studios so that leaves 2 games that i am unsure wether they appear on other systems or not (Contemned and Ridge Racer).
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Halo, as I recall, was not anticapated to be the killer app it was.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you kidding? I remember Halo being hyped long before Microsoft even decided to get into the console business, when the game was originally being made for the PC market (I think it was actually being built on and for Mac OS, but I think they also planned on a Windows release). Halo was hyped for years before it was ever released on the Xbox. I remember downloading videos of Halo back in the late 90's, and the visuals blew me away. I'm pretty sure the sole reason that Microsoft bought Bungie was so that they could have Halo as an exclusive Xbox launch title.
  • _Shimmer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    _Shimmer polycounter lvl 18
    hmm sad, saints row didnt hit the shelves on launch. Anyway, cool looking games. maybe I´ll buy a console... never had one. so..
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 18
    i have some serious doubts about some really good innovative games coming out for the xbox/xbox360, I mean with 360 out the regular xbox is gonna be pretty much dead development wise most people will switch over, or be made to switch over by M$, most of the really cool console games I've played were on the ps2, and you know what I'll probably still play them, for some reason I really don't mind the graphics so much being a tad outdated, as long as the art is good. I mean what good is all this power if ur not using it right and don't have any good artists?

I'll probably buy this anyway, but most likely sometime around march (or whenever gears of war comes out)
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    been playing gun on PC. It's good, but it wouldn't make me buy an xbox360, neither would any of the other games.

I just started playing resievil4 on the GC and thats light years ahead in terms of graphics than Gun anyhow.

Seriously, sometimes the environments in gun look like they are from quake 1.
  • Soul_Reaper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Soul_Reaper polycounter lvl 18
    Bah, looks like Dead Or Alive 4 slipped.
    I'll probably wait then until I actually can afford one.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Bah, looks like Dead Or Alive 4 slipped.

Not only that but DOA slipped from their backwards compatibility list as well.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The backwards compatibility is in software. It's all emulated. There are 200 games at start, that are backwards compatible. Doesn't mean that MS won't release an emu download in the future for DoA. I sure as hell hope they do, anyways smile.gif
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes but knowing MS I have a feeling they won't patch in games that could compete with new games from their lineup before those gaes have seen a decent number of sales. So you have an X360, perhaps even traded in your XBox and a few of your faviourite gaes aren't supported yet. Then comes along the new version of the game that may not be that much better but it'll work now, not later. You're more likely to buy the new one becaue you can't tell yourself "I have the old one already, that's good enough".
  • Soul_Reaper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Soul_Reaper polycounter lvl 18
    I'm keeping my old Xbox anyway, so that's no big deal for me.
  • Moz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moz polycounter lvl 18
    Crap like this is still why my N64 is my most played system.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So my friend's brother won the 360 in a pepsi contest run here in Canada. He got the full package with hard drive and a copy of Kameo, we don't get to buy 360 until the 22nd so this was neat as I was able to try out the system tonight november 17th. Even on a standard tv Kameo looks great. A lot of next gen art going on. Reflections, refractions, normal mapped everything, real time lighting and the best use of paralax mapping I have ever seen, at least I think it's paralax mapping. The only flaw in the art is objects do not cast shadows on the terrain! This is not too bad given the art style which is cartoony. The part where there are 2000 orks on screen in real time is a solid 30fps with no exceptions. Unfortunately I don't recommend this game, it is really simple and extremely repetitive and after a few drinks we forced my friend's brother to play the game for us so we could just watch the nice art go by. He almost finished the game for us but we had to leave as it got too late. I doubt I will ever see the end of the game because of the repetitive gameplay.
  • jec1183
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jec1183 polycounter lvl 18
    I am waiting for Gears of War to hit the shelves before I think about buying the system. As of right now none of the new games are true next get as the system is being billed. Call of Duty2 and king kong look practically the same on the ps2 and xbox. Call of Duty 2 as well as Gun can be bought for PC at 20 dollars less then the 360 games. Its going to be atleast a year before developers are using the system at its full potential. I saw Kameo at best buy and I am not impressed at all. It has the same problems as Doom3 had with normal maps with that high specular shine like some kid is looking at the world with a high powered flash light and everything is metal.
  • -Onyx-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    -Onyx- polycounter lvl 17
    I don't own any consoles, and don't care to waste my money. I prefer to play games on my PC. Resolution is superior, and controls are a lot easier to use. You get more precision with your mouse than you EVER will with a thumbpad.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Onyx: Not all games require or even use absolute controls so the mouse is pretty useless for many of them. How would you play something like Super Mario Bros with a mouse?
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I don't own any consoles, and don't care to waste my money. I prefer to play games on my PC. Resolution is superior, and controls are a lot easier to use. You get more precision with your mouse than you EVER will with a thumbpad.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would sure hate to play Ninja Gaiden with a mouse/keyboard!
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, you can add a gamepad to your PC, that's not the problem. The problem is that there aren't many genres that end up on the PC.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Resolution might be better, but do you have a 42inch plamsa monitor? I didn't think so...
    It's about the total experience. I'd rather be sitting comfortably on my couch playing CoD2, engulfed in HD video and superior audio, than scrunched over on my PC, staring at a tiny screen.
    The controls are NOT an issue, either. It's how good you are at using them. I've schooled a shitload of buddies who are avid CSS and Quake players on Halo (Xbox). They were using the JoyFrag, and I was using the controllerS. If you set your controls properly, and can handle it well, you can school a PC player easily.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Resolution might be better, but do you have a 42inch plamsa monitor? I didn't think so...

Where do 42" plasma screens figure into that? My TV has maybe three inches more than my computer monitor.

The JoyFrag is limited, it can't give you the instant turns a native PC game can, it's more like controlling a spaceship in the Freespace games. Plus Halo is quite different from Quake or CS.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xbox360 runs 720p = 720x1280 and 1080i = 1080x1920 interlaced. I could have bought the console for the price of my equivalent video card. Also if you don't have an hdtv you can always just buy the first party vga adapter and play xbox360 on your pc monitor.
  • CMB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CMB polycounter lvl 18
    When 360 comes out I'll be at friends playing oblivion...
    Oh and wtfhax b1ll's homepage was updated
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CMB: You remember that Oblivion was delayed?
  • man_o_mule
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    man_o_mule polycounter lvl 18
    stupid co worker is trying to convince me to play oblivion......i did buy morrowind, and i played it non stop for about a week. then asked myself whey the hell was i playing a game that mimicked an mmo without the people and wasn't fun. i soon traded it in.

my co worker somehow thinks that if i sit around watching him play it will make me want to play it. Why he wants this to happen i do not know. I would end up having to play it on his 360 cause i can't afford one.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    I'll be waiting a while, let them work out any defects and get a bigger games lineup. That lineup looks pretty average to me, not to sound snotty but none of the games from that list really scream being worth the price of admission.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Don't think there will be any defects at all. I bought my Xbox/PS2/GC/PSP on their launch days, and mine have never had issues. I don't think the 360 will have any issues with it, either.

I'll be out at Best Buy tomrrow morning @ 6:30am, if anyone here is in Reno :P
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    I heard best buy by me is selling advanced tickets for xbox360s, so you can pick them up tomorow. Nope!. There's a line of people in tents waiting for the 360s release.

Since there's only 2 games I really want "Gears of War & Oblivion" this will be my first new system launch that I won't be buying on the day its released. Seems like alot of places are only getting a small amount for tomorows launch. I bet if mountain dew hadn't of given 1 away every 10 seconds, there would be more to go around wink.gif
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol. Damn the Dew! smile.gif
    I think they just made a bad mistake, in launching world-wide, simultaneously. Sure, it's a GREAT idea on paper, but it leads to shortage problems like this. Lame.