Home General Discussion

marketing your name

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
i've had the tag killingpeople for a while now. i've gone by killing kp kill and killnpc. a few instructors have mentioned concern through the years with my email address [currently kill.npc at gmail] and online name turning away potential employeers. i thought it was cool, but i guess some people are funny that way. well, i've heard it again recently from my career adviser. it's just that i like the name and it's been around for a long enough while that people are begining to associate my work with the name. i will more than likely create another email address that has a more professional appearance and use both identities in a way.
what do you think?
should i just stick to one? i know i'm over analysing it, but is there any negatives to this i'm not seeing? i guess i was just rather taken aback when asked to change my name to something 'nicer'.

you guys have silly names. when you market yourself to companies, which identity do you use?

Replies

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stick with the nick, Change your email to your actual name.
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    If it is a strange name like 'poopinmymouth' for example, it could actually benefit, since people might remember it better wink.gif

Otherwise go with your real name, I guess.

Edit: Actually I think a real name is easier to remember, since people are better trained at remembering normal names (doesn't apply to forein names though), than just another generic 'internet name'tm.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    I've considered this myself. Everything I have has notman as part of the email. The name comes from the band Anthrax, who had a character named notman. People who are unaware of this, thing there is some homosexual connection with it. Whenever someone has read my email back to me, they always sound confused by it.
    Anyway, I've decided to create an email addy with my real name. I used one of my web hosting services for the email, so I know for sure my name is available wink.gif
  • doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
    Your name is not hurting you here or in any other online community. But, if you're applying for a job, you should just use your real name. Common sense, really.

But, no, having an online nick like "killingpeople" is not hurting your chances of getting a job.

Which reminds me, you're graduating soon, right? Has anybody snatched you up yet? smile.gif
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    I wouldn't use that name if you're applying for work at a day care center. And if your work is really awesome, I don't think many will care. And if they do care, they're not worth working for. I quit the "grind" name because everyone thought it was kinky. At this point I'm getting more comfortable with using my real name anyway now that I'm meeting people in the real world.
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    blast69.

now you wouldn't want an employer reading that one do you, lol
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I changed my nick from the nonsensical "posm" back on the old boards. For me it just felt like I was hiding behind a goofy moniker. Now I've just got my goofy real name!

When I first started using online chat rooms, I thought "heck everyone else is using nicknames, there must be something to this." I thought maybe it was also a privacy thing, a stab at anonimity. So I grabbed an abbreviation from work. But nicks are not anonymous, communities generally find out who people really are, it isn't hard.

I'd rather use my real name, since people tend to get an understanding of someone from their posts, and I'd rather have that associated with my real name than not.

Besides, nicknames have an adolescent tinge, which doesn't always go over well with the more serious types. Game devs are generally progressive, but managers tend to be more conservative.
  • jzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jzero polycounter lvl 18
    KP, I'm deeply disturbed by your nick, in a Jack Thompson sort of way. Okay, not really. But I do see a turn-off potential in the sort of exchange like:
    "What do you do?"
    "I do art for video games."
    "What's your online name?"
    "Killingpeople."

Now, there's also the excellent example of Mr Mathis and the coprophagic suggestions of his handle. But I think you have to consider Ben's personality and his rep as a wacky dude. He's comfortable with it.

I think that's the key thing: your comfort level. If you're okay being known as 'that people killing guy', then that's your trip, baby. But if you're not, consider another. It's all about you!

Consider another local example, "Hooker With a Penis". Right, Noel?

/jzero
  • nitzmoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nitzmoff polycounter lvl 18
    No job has ever asked what is my online handle. I can see the email arguement, but I still use nitzmoff for that and I'm employed. I think most employers understand you probably had the email address long before you thought about getting into the industry. Just so long as it isn't something obscene it's probably ok.
    I'd veer away from 'killing' anything in your email though. My 2 cents.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I changed my net nick from vigialanti to Vig for three reasons.

1) When I first signed up for the name (many moons ago through prodigy for net access 14.4 baby oh yeah it was smokin!). I had to spell it funky because vigilante was taken. The nerve! The mispelling lead to just about everyone I know telling me I spelled it wrong, followed by my explaination why I had to do that. Followed by "Oh... you should get a new name you haven't use prodigy in years".

2) When I started playing games that had voice com, most people called me Vig. Because asking "V-i-g-i-a-l-a-n-t-i flank the left side" took too long.

3) Most people don't know what Vig stands for so it becomes a little personalized which is better than "vigilante1337". It also takes all the danger out of my net nick so I don't come off as a "poopinmymouth" "hookerwithapenis" "Ish!tinskulls" kind of guy. Which if that is your name and you like it, more power to ya. I would rather not deal with my name giving me more crap than I already get.

On a side note, when I was responding to customer email support requests we always snickered at the "isuccoc4lif@hotmail.com" & "ihavatinywang@yahoo.com". It was always awesome when they didn't put thier name in the email so you had to respond "Hello Mr isuccoc4lif..."
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    This is the exact reason why I changed my name to "AdamBrome".

Almost my full-name, but short enough to allow me to use "brome" when I game/chat/etc.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    I'm with Eric on this one. I enjoy using an online nickname, but after I was working for a while going with my real name made more sense. It makes an easier transition when meeting people in real life as well. I spent years at my first in house job being referred to as “shatter” by everyone. Real names does improve marketing, and make you seems more mature so it's the right choice for a portfolio, contact information, etc. As for around here, I've always enjoyed the nickname “killingpeople”. It's fun, and easy to remember Only downside is, I had no idea what you're real name was, and don't associate it to your art. You can always drop your real name in your signature, and people around here will get used to it.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    I just don't really care. My producers call me poopinmymouth at times. Almost every company I've worked at, the people I interact with think it's funny, because hey, we are making videogames here, I think a little joviality is ok.

I know when I applied to Lodestone, they didn't even look at my portfolio because of my URL, and the guy who I found this out from told me that now that he had visited my site, if he'd have actually looked at my work back then, they would have hired me. So it can bite you in the butt, and sometimes it can turn off people. If you find that no one is biting, maybe you should look into alternate names. However I seriously doubt that you are going to have any problems finding work Killzorz.

Like Jzero said, it's all about your comfort level.

Also, real names are boring. I didn't get to choose mine, and I know you didn't either. A nick is a fun way to choose an alterego, something you think reflects your personality and is easier to remember and more unique than "Robinson", "Mathis", "Ben", or "Cory". Real names are corporate and business like, and I say screw that. I hate what becoming more corporate and businesslike has done to games, and I'm not gonna contribute to it. FIGHT THE POWER!
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    cholden, at least people weren't calling you Shatner.
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BoBo_the_seal polycounter lvl 18
    Hm… My nick has always worked for me. Most people just call me BoBo which I actually prefer over my real name. In our office it’s actually worked out for the best as we have 4 Brian’s working here. 3 of them artist. If I was in another industry, I would definitely see a need for conformity. In the game industry I don’t think it’s that important.

- BoBo er um I mean Brian or something....
  • Kevin Albers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Albers polycounter lvl 18
    I'm pretty content with my decision to switch to using my real name. It's certainly it's own form of marketing, although when I worked with Poopinmymouth I was once tempted (for 10 seconds) to change my name to Peeinmyear.
  • Erol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Erol polycounter lvl 18
    I am corporate and business like.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    don't listen to these unimaginative "real name" supporters, it's a load of hooey. what doc rob says--just register a neutral real-name based email addy for work stuff, and make sure your portfolio and such have your real name. if you're worried about your nick, abbreviate it out. DH goes by DH now instead of Dark Horizon; Snemmy is a much better name than the original Social Nemesis, etc. you'll be fine.

because as many have found out the hard way, once you take a nick it sticks for a very long time. so if you're going to change, some derivation is a good idea. i personally think KP is as good as any.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Doesn't KP stand for peeling potatoes, in military jargon?
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I thought it was a brand of crisps and nut snacks?
    MoP is/was the name of a rap group, I believe, but they're not very good.
    MoP is not a reference to the Metallica song, Master of Puppets.
    People in real life call me "mop" from time to time, I don't mind, actually I'm mainly used to it.
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    hey kp.. the only thing you should care about is your own work, and let it market itself, eh?
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    my nick is my real name.. well my middle name.. thats what you get when you have hippies for parents..

and really you dont have to worry at all about what your name is for a job all that really matters is the color choices and design skills presented on a webpage.. i cant stress this enough.. nobody and i mean nobody wants to hire a GAME artist with no webdesign skills.. simple fact.. dont even worry about your game art.. just your flash and dreamweaver skills.. hands down the only factor in getting a job in the industry..
  • Ruz
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666

I tend to rely on my personality to put people off hiring me, not my name he he
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    I think the best thing to do by far, is to get yourself a nice 3 lettered nickname that ends in Z, wouldn't you agree Ruz?
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    I'm combine both of yours then, and call myself Raz...

:P
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I can't be Moz, because he already exists.
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    my nick is my real name.. well my middle name.. thats what you get when you have hippies for parents..

and really you dont have to worry at all about what your name is for a job all that really matters is the color choices and design skills presented on a webpage.. i cant stress this enough.. nobody and i mean nobody wants to hire a GAME artist with no webdesign skills.. simple fact.. dont even worry about your game art.. just your flash and dreamweaver skills.. hands down the only factor in getting a job in the industry..

[/ QUOTE ]

did i already say i love ya? crazy.gif
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Doesn't KP stand for peeling potatoes, in military jargon?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure it stands for Kitchen Patrol, which ment you peeled potatoes.

And I am now thinking of going with the Z rule and changing my name to Viz. On second thought it's the name of a lighting program used in Half Life. I remember wrestling with the damn thing trying to solve thousands of errors it would spit out, I would rather not remember that...
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    There are some people who hide behind an online name, to protect their real identity...like Bruce Banner or peer Parker. This makes a lot of sense for some people, allowing them to express views that they feel yet are unable to express using their real identity for myriad reasons.

I decided to just be me a few years ago, and I have to say the Rick Stirling on the interweb is pretty much the exact same as the Rick Stirling in the real world.

Some would say this is a loud mouthed drunken bum. and they may be right. The real Rick is just as likely to gatecrash your house at 4am demanding booze.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
  • Asthane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asthane polycounter lvl 18
    I did the whole 'switch to your real name' thing shortly before the last boards went ker-plunk. Kinda made me feel like I was going too far to 'market myself', so I gave it up.

Daz: Brilliance! From now on, I shall go by the name... Asz wink.gif
  • Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    So...just add Z to the end of your name. Well, if I go with the first letter of my first name, J, and the first letter of my alias, I, and end with a Z, I get...jiz...

perhaps I'll just stick with my alias for now -.-
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    You guys make me want to go back to 'joi'. I feel it represented me the most.

Hmm...
  • StrangeFate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StrangeFate polycounter lvl 18
    I think killingpeople or even poopinmymouth can work against you, if i had 10 portfolios to look through then yours would wander to the bottom of the list. Cachy URLs or email names do help, while i wouldn't go as far as registering something like www.awesomeartist.com, it sure would make me click there first.

Sensible people might be offended even or god knows what, lots of weird people in this industry.

Basically, you're selling yourself, figure out how you want to market yourself, and how you want to be perceived. If your nick (be it in the URL or email) is the first thing they see from you, you probably wont make the best impression you could.
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thermidor polycounter lvl 18
    "The real Rick is just as likely to gatecrash your house at 4am demanding booze."

ha, its all true!
  • PolyMonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyMonkey polycounter lvl 17
    We almost didn't hire poop back when he first came to interview at Mythic, just because of his name, but once people actually saw his work it swayed their minds.

The 8th floor seems so much quieter without you Poop! Congrats on Gun!