Home General Discussion

Sony pays up for making junk (PS2)

It's a big step forward for sony to admit it has a problem. "Hello my name is Sony and I make defective consoles"

http://www.ps2settlement.com

[ QUOTE ]
You are a Class Member and part of the settlement if you purchased in the United States or Canada from a retailer a new, unused PS2 Console Model Number 30001, 30001R, 35001, 39001, 39010, 50001, or 50010. You are also a Class Member if you received a new, unused PS2 Console Model Number 30001, 30001R, 35001, 39001, 39010, 50001, or 50010 as a gift from the original purchaser.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.gamespot.com/6139482?part=rss&tag=gs_news&subj=6139482

Make junk, and guess what you get to pay to have it fixed. Well pay a lawyer who hands out coupons, for free small cheeseburgers at Mc Donalds...

Replies

• ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    about F'in time.
  • Foehammer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Foehammer polycounter lvl 18
    Ruling on infamous "disc read error" issue could give qualifying PS2 owners $25, a free game, free repairs, or a replacement system.

wow, so your system is worth about 25 bucks, good to know for the next time i'm hard up for crack
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    err, ?
    I bought my PS2 on day 1, and I've never had a single problem with it.
    TAKE BETTER CARE OF YOUR ELECTRONICS! smile.gif
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    err, ?
    I bought my PS2 on day 1, and I've never had a single problem with it.
    TAKE BETTER CARE OF YOUR ELECTRONICS! smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Just because you don't have a defective system, doesn't mean everyone else is in the same situation. Is your system even one of the model numbers mentioned in the lawsuit? Why are you always so quick to defend Sony and bash Nintendo and MS? To be so dedicated to any particular console manufacturer seems strange to me.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Working in Atari tech support we had to set up exchanges for Thousands of ps2 games. I would be on the phone for hours sometimes several calls over weeks, trying to get people to understand its not the disc. People wouldn't accept the fact that thier ps2 was junk and needed to be fixed. "But all my other games only lock up every once in a while, and it it only stopped playing DVD's last week, but should play this new game just fine".

We would get the disks in, test them and they would be fine. We would call the customer and ship the disks back to them. We took it in the shorts for Sony long enough. I had a lot of people call me dirty names because it worked in our lab. I would explain the issue again, and they still would refuse to call sony and trouble shoot the system, "Its the game! Just give me a new one" Some times we would give in and the would call back with the same problem. Wash rinse and repeat...

It's not miss use that causes the system to stop working, its from use, normal use like they advertised. If you play DVD's the laser has to adjust its height. Switch back and forth from games to DVD's enough times and it works itself out of alignment, giving you the disk read error. People would think the system is dirty and buy a cleaning kit, which could push the laser farther out of alignment. Chances are yours would break if you started using it as a DVD player more.

As much as I praise sony for driving the console market where it is today, I can't stand behind thier defective system and pretend nothing is wrong. They used cheap drives they later switched out for better ones in later models. They know it, and they are fixing it, now that everyone is trading in thier psx and ps2 for a ps3 or 360.

I have a ps2, and I don't like having to baby it and hope it won't crap out. My xboxes being as heavy as they are have been taken all over, to parties, warehouses, friends houses, loaned out and even at in the back of my car for a while on some hot days that may have cooked less stout hardware. Low and be hold they still work fine, I know my ps2 would not hold up to such abuse.

I don't like the fact that I bought it thinking I could use it as a DVD player then had to go out and buy a DVD player because I found out I could ruin it if I used it to watch DVD's.

Opps we bought into the adverstiving that it was a one stop shop, silly us for thinking a device would do what we were told it would.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    Why are you always so quick to defend Sony and bash Nintendo and MS? To be so dedicated to any particular console manufacturer seems strange to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Eh? I've never once bashed Nintendo or Microsoft about the quality of their machines. I own a Gamecube and Xbox, and I love them the same as my PS2. The only thing I've ever bashed on from Nintendo, has been their games.

I'm not a Sony fanboy by any means, I'm just saying I've never had an issue with a single Sony made product I've owned, nor do I personally know anyone who has. Same thing goes with Microsoft and Nintendo. I've put down Nintendo's games, and their ability to market new hardware (64DD? VirtualBoy?), but not their ability to make it durable. smile.gifsmile.gif

- Vig, highly likely, yea. I've never used my PS2 to play DVD's, so that could be it right there.
  • man_o_mule
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    man_o_mule polycounter lvl 18
    Personaly i get the dirty disc error on my xbox, and know others who do as well. One of my friends gets the same thing on his PS2. So microsoft and sony both make faulty hardware in my book.

Nintendo on the other hand makes great hardware. I have never had a problem Nintendo hardware, well besides an original NES not wanting to play games anymore.
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Nintendo on the other hand makes great hardware. I have never had a problem Nintendo hardware, well besides an original NES not wanting to play games anymore.

[/ QUOTE ]

Blow on the cartridge, dude! laugh.gif
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My original NES from the 80's, still with my tiny fingerprints on it...still works. I kept it clean with a kit...except for the outside. I own an additional one, found scattered and tangled at the bottom of a goodwill bin, plus one my gf found still in box. Making that 3 functional NES systems under one roof. The games need to be maintained, but still work. All controllers, plus my original zapper (plus a little black tape to fix a cut cord accident), still works perfectly.
  • Moz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moz polycounter lvl 18
    on average it takes me 5-10 mins to get any of my N64 games to start up, (blowing, warming, smashing on cart) but once it starts playing all is instantly forgiven.

My old gameboy face plate has came loose like 5 years ago and it still plays fine.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Blowing does nothing but corroding the connectors. I think there are instructions on the net on repairing the connectors. For NESs you have to bend the connector pins a bit (or purchase a replacement connector that doesn't require regular bending), that's described as well.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    [ QUOTE ]
    My original NES from the 80's, still with my tiny fingerprints on it...still works.

[/ QUOTE ]
    so what? wink.gif my amiga 500 works, too. even the majority of disks seems still in order. actually, a console without moving parts i definitely would expect nothing less from than that it still does the job.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    so...they just don't make them like they use to. tongue.gif Shelf life should influence price. That's why I can't bring myself to purchase a PS3 or Xbox360, when a Revolution with a much lower price can be expected to last much longer.

P.S. Don't blow on, warm, or hit your Nintendo games or consoles you monkeys!
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    spot on. in the last years, i bought a couple of 3.5 inch diskettes to make boot and rescue disks for the peecee. none of those lasted more than a year or two, terribly unreliable - and it was all brand ones from tdk and the like. amiga no-name diskettes from the late 80's or early 90's on the other hand...

i probably won't buy any nextgen console for at least one year to come after all three machines are out.
    a) i don't want the early revisions
    b) it will take time to have really valuable titles and to see which platform get's the good stuff this time around. also, let's see how nasty DRM stuff turns out to be.
    c) i don't pay 400 euros or more for such a toy. prices will come down eventually.