Home General Discussion

First Revolution game announced?

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
FAT_CAP polycounter lvl 18
From SPONG.COM - link underneath.

Link to This Article http://news.spong.com/x?art=9293

So the first Nintendo Revolution software to be revealed as being playable over in Kyoto turns out to be the Chinese wok simulator as seen in the Revolution tech demo at this year’s Tokyo Game Show.

In a great interview with Games Life, Nintendo producer Hideki Konno mentions that the wok sim has set the offices alight.

“We're thinking of so many different things. We're still at the stage where we're trying so many different things. We're doing things with big, expansive movements and smaller, more concise movements. It's hard to narrow it down to one over the other. Did you see the Tokyo Game Show video? We actually have things using the movements you saw. Like the cooking game. We have this game with a big wok that you use to cook Chinese food, and it's really interesting to have the meat and vegetables frying in there, and use the controller to flip the food around without it spilling out of the pan.”

Of course, this got us wondering – are all the other tech demos seen from the TV’s perspective real, existing software? The wok simulator, that we’ll refer to from here on in as Wok: Chinese Food Master Gaiden III, was twinned with a slicing game. We wonder if that’s on the go in Nintendo’s offices too…

Wario Ware Revolution anyone? grin.gif

Replies

• Moz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moz polycounter lvl 18
    too bad nintendo would never release a masturbation simulator.
  • acc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acc polycounter lvl 18
    Well they already confirmed a new Smash Bros. and another game that eludes me at the moment, and Metroid is already playable, but I suppose the big-name games are givens and not worth considering as being "confirmed".
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    hehe a cooking sim... wow, man i sure want that system now... so i can cook... but not eat what i cook... yeah man that sounds like loads of fun! yipy!

hmmm wasnt there an episode of grim and mandy where billy is playing a cooking sim... and they chose a cooking sim why, because its about the least intresting game idea they could think up.
    Please guys dont pimp your system to gamers pimp it to cooks, but last even cooks wouldnt pay for that shit when they can do it for real.
  • nitzmoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nitzmoff polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Well they already confirmed a new Smash Bros. and another game that eludes me at the moment, and Metroid is already playable, but I suppose the big-name games are givens and not worth considering as being "confirmed".

[/ QUOTE ]

Got a link to this source? I haven't heard of any Revolution games announced at all. I'd be interested to see that.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    If a game can make my gf a better cook, then I'm all for it. :P
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    The future of gaming lies in the mundane. Its only as matter of time before we see all those crappy lifestyles shows turned into games. Cooking, renovating houses, arranging furniture, gardening... going on holidays. These are the things that the people want to see on television, so logically there'd be a big market for giving people the ability to try their own hand out at it without having to get off their collective fat arses.
  • Moz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moz polycounter lvl 18
    except it costs someone afew thousand dollars to shoot some guy moving a chair, while it costs afew million to make a realistic simulation of it.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    hehe a cooking sim... wow, man i sure want that system now... so i can cook... but not eat what i cook... yeah man that sounds like loads of fun! yipy!

hmmm wasnt there an episode of grim and mandy where billy is playing a cooking sim... and they chose a cooking sim why, because its about the least intresting game idea they could think up.
    Please guys dont pimp your system to gamers pimp it to cooks, but last even cooks wouldnt pay for that shit when they can do it for real.

[/ QUOTE ]

dude, all thats on Japanese TV is cooking programs. This will sell like hot cakes.
  • JKim3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKim3 polycounter lvl 18
    I think a cooking game could be exciting and fun. Like, imagine playing an Iron Chef game. Katamari Damacy is something based on a simple concept that is mind numbingly boring as a one liner (roll a ball around, picking up stuff), but people love that game. It's in the execution, much like many of the great games. Oh, and a WarioWare game would be insane!
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    A cooking Sim.. When you could do the thing for real for $12.00 in groceries?

Scott
  • acc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acc polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Got a link to this source? I haven't heard of any Revolution games announced at all. I'd be interested to see that.

[/ QUOTE ]

IGN has most of the info spread around various articles. There isn't a whole lot out there, basically just promises from Nintendo execs that certain games are on their way.

http://cube.ign.com/articles/615/615089p1.html?reload=true
    Mentions Smash Bros. at launch, then mentions new mario, new zelda and metroid 3. Other articles also mention these games again, including an interview directly with Miyamoto (who mentions that extensive testing on possibilities with Mario are being done).

IGN's hands-on preview of the revolution controller also mentions that they played a modified Metroid 2, saying: "Developer Retro Studios apparently created the Prime 2 demo in order to test the waters, so to speak, for its upcoming Metroid Prime 3". They seemed impressed.

Scott, will $12 make me the head chef of a restaurant and grant me superb cooking skills at no risk of chopping my fingers off or is the idea of a cooking sim not actually that bad?
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    Trust me when i say this. You would be better off using the 350 you would have to pay for the rev and the game, on cooking books, pans and food. Then you could be a cook, but no game is going to get you a job cooking. Just like no fishing game will help catch a real fish.
  • motives
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motives polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Trust me when i say this. You would be better off using the 350 you would have to pay for the rev and the game, on cooking books, pans and food. Then you could be a cook, but no game is going to get you a job cooking. Just like no fishing game will help catch a real fish.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just like no first person shooter will make you a SAS soldier.. smirk.gif
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, because as we all know, this is going to be the only game released for the Rev and it's obviously going to suck even though no one here has played it icon15.gif.
  • FAT_CAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FAT_CAP polycounter lvl 18
    Erm... I dont think that it was actually meant to be a full-blown game in its own right guys.

Keyser is right- I dont see the point in ragging on this one or two sentance quote that Nintendo is playing with some innovative new gameplay ideas. It sounds to me more like they are experimenting with their new hardware to produce new gameplay styles to introduce new consumers/ users to the field of "video-games".

This sort of thing could fit right in to a Revolution version of WarioWare (one of my favourite games in a long time) or something along those lines... If you describes the mechanics of Wario Ware - it would sound banal aswell... 3 seconds to sniff a snot back up a nose? WOW!!! 5 seconds to guide a paper plane through a asic maze? WOOPEE!!! Its only when you pick up the game and play it, preferably with other people, that the real magic comes alive.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    If it's even half as fun as the GBA remake of the Chef Game & Watch it's a must buy.
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    For all we know this could be just a free downloadable game that you can access online. Don't get yer panties all up in a bundle.
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    If a game can make my gf a better cook, then I'm all for it. :P

[/ QUOTE ]

hahahaha i was thinkin the same thing tongue.gif