Home Technical Talk

More Max questions

SouL
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
SouL polycounter lvl 18
I don't know if there's something I've done wrong, but the cut and insert vertex tools won't work properly.

I'm having extreme difficulty getting verts to go where I want. I've had it happen where I'll click on the middle of the edge, inserting verts in edge mode, and the vert will snap to the neareast random vert making up that edge.

I have no snap options turned on.

The same thing is happening with the cut tool where, if I'm vert mode, the vertex will not follow where my cursor is on the screen. Does that make sense? I can move my cursor around, but the vertex I'm about to place won't follow it.

Inserting verts in face mode is a huge problem, too. I'm having the same problem in edge mode where the vert won't insert in the exact location I want.

I'm working on an instanced half of the model... it's worked fine before, so I'm not sure why it's broken all of a sudden.

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Hmm, I've experienced this before, but I don't think there's ever been a solid solution to it. It's definitely annoying.

First off, I'd try a Reset XForm on the original object, then Instance Mirror it again, see if that has any effect - it might be something to do with scaling?

If that doesn't work, try just rotating the view around and Cutting from a different angle...

Inserting a vertex in Face mode has never been a problem for me - always worked perfectly. I don't recall it ever being a problem in edge mode either.

Then again, I don't tend to use Insert Vertex a whole lot, and only Cut now and then.

Maybe someone else will know more on this subject... it may be just a random thing, although I believe it's tied into object scale and viewport orientation somehow.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    The triangle going through the middle of the face interferes with the cut tool. The more convex or concave it is, the more problems you will have. Planar faces work perfect every time. Resetting xforms will help, as will rotating the object to try a different angle. I found a plugin that made it work perfectly, but it was a little buggy when undoing, so I dropped it. But it can be found on scriptspot if you search for cut. I forget the name of it.
  • ironbearxl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ironbearxl polycounter lvl 18
    I've had this problem and another way to fix it is to turn the model to editable poly again, especially when using the cut tool.
  • FatAssasin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FatAssasin polycounter lvl 18
    The cut tool works best in either perspective or orthographic view, I forget which. If you're in perspective, switch to an orthagraphic view, and vice versa. Although this used to be more of a problem with versions 5 and 6. The cut tool seems to be more stable in versions 7 and 8. I use it all the time, and rarely use perspective view when I'm modelling. Inserting verts is something I never do, so can't help you there.
  • pogonip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pogonip polycounter lvl 18
    Ehhh good to know fatass I am using Max V6 and it has terrible bug problems and this same thing is a major bug to me ..man I need to stop being lazy and switch to XSI . Sucks that you have to use 3dMax Soul . I don't know what the shitten diffrence is what program you use to model it's all polys/verts in the end as far as modeling goes but I guess companies have there policies for a reason.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    yeah cut works much better in User view mode,
  • SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo User view is evil.
    Is there an alternative to inserting a vert along an edge?
    Say... I want to place a vert dead center on an edge. How would I go about on doing that?
    Sure I can snap, but there has to be a one-click-auto-divide type thing that I'm overlooking.

Another question...
    There verts along the center of my geo that I can't seem to weld. And I can't really figure out why because the other verts welded fine. I even set the tolerance to some obsene number and they still won't weld.
    I unified all the normals... so that can't be it. I can't really figure out any other reason why they won't weld.

And my max just crashed.

I think there's something fucked in my file... damnit.
  • SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    And it crashed again.
    My recovered file is broken. Verts have just been randomly placed all over the scene.
  • SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    Now rotating my original file has crashed max.
  • SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    My file is corrupt. Fan-fucking-tastic.
    I'm seriously ready to pick my chair and throw it at my machine.
  • pogonip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Welcome to max hell...this same thing has happned to me 100 times . You should just model it in Maya and pretend like your using max when someone comes around . Like have a copy of the model open in max and then someone comes around ..boom pop up Max . About welnding the verts that won't seem to weld ? Have you used target welding ? Grab the vert with the move key with taget weld selected and then drag it to the other vert you want to weld to . Should be able to target weld any verts regardless of tolerence .

About the corruption issues . Regardless of how powerful your machine is Max sucks up your computers memory and once the memory starts getting low max freaks the fuck out . It was probebly auto saving the file and that file was probebly already corrupt . I truly think that might be a problem to address with more senior max artists on site . Maybe your wigging it out somehow ? confused.gif ..but probebly not ..it's max ..
  • SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    Hahahahah
    Whoooo! Working in games is FUHN
  • pogonip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Better then this job ...but only slightly

bb-cow-025_flip.jpg
  • SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah I tried target welding... but the strange thing is that the cursor won't change when I hover over the vert I want to weld to. It's like the vert isn't even there.

Anyways... I fixed the problem. I managed to export my geo as a .3ds (which I'm hoping cleaned out the file of any hidden evil), then imported that into a fresh scene. Reset XForm and Unified the normals again. Turns out there were faces connected to the verts I couldn't weld that were facing the wrong way. Which is bizarre because I ran a Normals modifier on the stack to unify my normals.
    *shrug*

Is there a way to clean out my materials? There's a lot of excess shaders that were somehow imported from the .3ds file that I don't want. I can't find any option to let me "reset" the shader list.
  • motives
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motives polycounter lvl 18
  • SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    Sweet! I'll have to try that out.

Is there somekind of backface selection option that's turned on by default in Max?
    I have no problems selecting the verts I want, but I'm having extreme difficulty selecting the edge/faces I want. 85% of the time Max will select the edge/face on the other side of my object. As you can imagine, this is really frustrating when you're making multiple selections.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    I had the same kind of corrupted file error recently for the very first time after years of Max use. Triangles were simply disappearing at each edit I was trying to do... Same thing, rotating viewport crashed the app when I tried to reopen the file.

The Max8 demo has been able to load the file almost fine, and I exported to 3DS to recover the geometry. Good thing I was still in the 30days thing.

So the good point might be : R8 is more stable than R7, yeah!

As for material editor cleanup you can also try out the Blur plugin pack. Tons of useless dev plugins in that, but also some every-day-use ones like Clean Material Editor and Kill Animation. I think the 3 Point Light readymade script is also in that.

For vert insert, I use the tools from the CSPolytools+Meshtools combo pack. I have the 1,2,3 numpad keys set to inert 1,2 or 3 verts on edge, and the "." key for connect selected verts.

You might want to try out the Slide tool from that pack as it allows you to slide a whole set of edges (from the same loop) towards or away from the next loop.

Also, someone posted a ConnectRounded script here recently. Say you have an edgering you want to connect across, the script will find out the needed curvature for the newly created edges.

Hope that helps!
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Pogonip, good to see you contributing in such a worthwhile manner. Provide help or just shut up, please, you're starting to piss me off.

SouL: Very weird errors you're getting there, I've never experienced anything of the sort. In the event of a "whatever_recover.max" file that it saves on crash not working, you should still have the Autoback files to work from. And you should probably be saving to numbered incremental scenes anyway (something I do in Max, Maya, Photoshop, whatever - it's good practise).

Pior makes a good suggestion of getting the CSPolytools/Meshtools pack - they have some very handy tools in there which are most likely just what you're looking for.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    maybe you did turn on the ignore backface function by accident? hotkey, quad menu toggle perhaps? better double check.
    or it might simply be a matter of habit. because for me it's exactly the other way around - selecting components in maya inevitably leads to spontaneous outbursts of anger and i start to pull out my beard...

on a side note: i've never worked at a place where a modeller/texture artist (that's your job, right?) was forced to use a certain package. all that mattered was that the assets were delivered in the right format - the companies never had a problem with people using their preferred tool.
    if i was you, i'd try to get maya onto the machine. in the end, assuming you're more productive with that one, the people in charge needed a pretty big stick in their rectum to deny that, no? wink.gif
  • FatAssasin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FatAssasin polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Is there an alternative to inserting a vert along an edge?
    Say... I want to place a vert dead center on an edge. How would I go about on doing that?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Try this workflow and see if it helps...
    - Instead of inserting verts on edges, select two or more edges and use the "Connect" button in edge mode. This will place a new edge with it's end verts right in the middle of the selected edges, which is what you want right?
    - If you don't want them right in the middle, change the dropdown list next to "Constraints" and select "Edge". Switch to vert mode and move the verts up and down the edges wherever you want without changing the basic topology. You can also select "Face" and move the verts around the surface of a face, but I tend to use edge constraining more. Assign a hotkey to "Edge Constraint Toggle..." and you're all set.

[ QUOTE ]
    Another question...
    There verts along the center of my geo that I can't seem to weld. And I can't really figure out why because the other verts welded fine.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Just so you know, when working on an editable poly object, you can't just weld any verts together that you want. What's going on is that it's forcing you to keep your mesh "clean" in terms of how the polys can be joined. It's both good and bad. Good, because you don't end up with a sloppy mesh with things like coplanar faces, but bad because it can be frustrating when it's not doing what you want it to do. But you can always keep certain verts unwelded and then, when you know you're done, convert to editable mesh, select all the verts, and weld selected with a really low threshold setting.
  • Nakur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nakur polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

Pior makes a good suggestion of getting the CSPolytools/Meshtools pack - they have some very handy tools in there which are most likely just what you're looking for.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do these tools work with Max 8?
  • Nakur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nakur polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

Just so you know, when working on an editable poly object, you can't just weld any verts together that you want. What's going on is that it's forcing you to keep your mesh "clean" in terms of how the polys can be joined. It's both good and bad. Good, because you don't end up with a sloppy mesh with things like coplanar faces, but bad because it can be frustrating when it's not doing what you want it to do. But you can always keep certain verts unwelded and then, when you know you're done, convert to editable mesh, select all the verts, and weld selected with a really low threshold setting.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've noticed this too, but I think you can get around it by connecting the 2 verts you want to weld, and then welding them. I have connect set to A and collapse set to V, so it's really not that annoying / time consuming once you get used to it, just a quick couple hotkey presses.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, Nakur is right - if vertices have geometry between them, but no edge, you can't weld them. You can only weld if there's an edge there, or no geometry at all (open edges). Like Nakur, I have Connect as Ctrl-C and Collapse as C, so it's fast to do stuff like that...

If it was just a centre seam bit that wasn't welding, then there's geometry in the way, ie. not an open edge. You shouldn't need to export to 3ds or anything, just check, chances are there's some stray geometry you accidentally created/missed earlier.
  • SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18