Home General Discussion

Poll: Top ten programmer excuses

Developer's Top 10 replies when code doesn't work...

Which one have you heard the most? I've heard variants of all of 'em, but #6 takes the cake!

Replies

• Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    What about the all time classic 'it works on my machine' ?!
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    lol, man, I hear these all the time. I work for a brake company and the hardware and software groups argue all the time. One of the things I always here is, "It must be the hardware." The 'it works on my machine' comes up a lot also.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    "did you get latest version?"
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    or the classic
    "Your using it wrong"
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hahha, heard all those too!

I gotta say I've heard "it works on my machine" quite a few times.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, my top three are:

"It was working yesterday!"
    "It works on my machine..."
    "It's never done that before..."
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
  • Nilium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nilium polycounter lvl 18
    As a programmer, I've used each and every one of those. Except #3. That one I can't quite fit into anything...
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 19
    my favorite was "oh, you're using old tech. we washed our hands of that hours ago."
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "thats not a bug, its a feature"
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    "You can just use [complicated workaround that only applies to special cases of what you want to do] instead". That's common on the Blender boards. Want to merge two edgeloops? "Oh, just scale them to 0 on one axis"...
  • Paul Jaquays
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul Jaquays polycounter lvl 18
    Where was "Did you check to see if your executable file was read-only?"

... This happened with amazing regularity. Some programmer would do a build and forget to set the exe file to read-only. A writable file isn't copied over in updates.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    These days the terminology is "Did you get latest?"

Yes.

"Well, it it works on mine."

It's fucked here.

"And you got latest?"

Yes

"Send me an example file"

Sent

"Hmm...works here...did you get latest?"

YES.

"I'll come round"

"It might be your graphics card..."

"Try it now."

Yup, thats working, thanks. What was up?

"Oh, I forgot to check something in"
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    On Firefox Mac, the poll numbers show, but every bar is exactly the same at 1 or 0. On Safari Mac, it looks great. I dunno if its my Mac or firefox that is the problem.
  • Nerd Groupie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nerd Groupie polycounter lvl 18
    You must have the wrong version.

It's never done that before.

That's weird...

Not only are those the ones I hear the most, but the ones I use the most.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah Rick, weird here too... Firefox PC shows all the red bars at the same short length, but IE PC shows actual bar length.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Rick, must be Firefox, because the bars are all 0 or 1 regardless of percentage on my PC, running Firefox. It looks fine in Internet Explorer.

edit: You win this time, Ericwick! *shakes fist*
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just came back to the thread, the bars were fine. I refeshed...and back to tiny.
  • PaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    "it's not ouyr fault, max is a turd"

Whenever programmers on my team get an opprtunity to bash max, they take it. it's like it's the 1930's and Max is a minority or something.

-R
  • Irritant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Irritant polycounter lvl 18
    I wonder what the coders of FireFox's excuses are for the bars being fucked up? LOL.

As a programmer, I can honestly say 90% of all bugs are caused by stupid end users laugh.gif
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There are some more gems in the comments section of the original page.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    I always used to get "why do you want it to do that?"
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Haha, hawken, that's a very good one...
  • FatAssasin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FatAssasin polycounter lvl 18
    Since I'm always messing with tools in ways they weren't meant to be used, I sometimes hear, "How'd you get it to do that?"
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    hmm since its related to this thread and i don't feel like starting a new one, whats some of the coolest/weirdest bugs you've gotten from work produced by your coders,

curently on the switch to max 8 and getting our in house tools for warhammer working, with it , our art tools package has started forming some unique and curious bugs,

my favorite so far, is you have your material eddito open and workign in the games custom shader material, then poof.. al of the info for it disapeers, and the pops up as a rollout in your max command pannel, its still workable, but anoying since you can only see half of its width since the comand panel colums are so narrow,

brian ad a more extreme version of this, where the material info replaced ALL his normal command pannel info.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Weird. Well we've had nothing quite like that, but we did have a bug awhile back where all the materials would be renamed in capital letters everytime we exported. No biggie, just a little annoying, and made me wonder what else had been changed in the scene.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Not really just programmers but, "Can you check X in for 5 mins?". Because it seems everyone in the world has a skewed opinion of what 5 mins is including myself. My 5 mins is actually about 20 mins.
  • TelekineticFrog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TelekineticFrog polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    "it's not ouyr fault, max is a turd"

Whenever programmers on my team get an opprtunity to bash max, they take it. it's like it's the 1930's and Max is a minority or something.

-R

[/ QUOTE ]

OMG! I am so with you on that one. It strikes me considerably because I had a run in just yesterday evening with a programmer who instead of trying a solution I provided, proceeded to bash Max for at least 20-30 minutes. It can be extremely frustrating. I had one time last project where I came into work and sat down to load up a model I was working on to find that all of my data had been deleted from Perforce...not just that model but every model, texture and animation I did for that project up to that point. I nearly started to cry because I was the only one in the office that morning at the time. Turns out a contracted programmer in Germany via VPN had decided to completely restructure the directory tree in Perforce and had moved all of my files offline until he got the new structure completed. Needless to say nobody in the office but our director of technology knew he was doing this and he conveniently wasn't in the office. :/ I got my work back but it was very disheartening to see all your work go poof over night and not know why. Oh and the time difference with him being in Germany and me being on the East Coast of the US doesn't help. Not cool at all.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Argh! TelekeneticFrog, that's really, really sucky!
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    sounds like you have the wrong flavour of coders. i know that type who likes to bash the program of choice instead of providing a solution.
    however at one of my last gigs they had a very capable team of coders and when i had some issues with a rather complex skinning/export job (you know how ugly that can get, no?) i didn't hear the usual "ah, well, no idea what's happening, try it again with less influences/bones/whatever" but more of an "that's not your problem, let us handle it". and voila - next day when i came into work, everything was solved...
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    most common response here to a nasty fuckup :

"wow, cool!"
  • Frank
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frank polycounter lvl 18
    I most often get "It works on my machine," which prompts me to go to his office (there's one programmer that says this most often) and repro it in front of him. He usually says something like "Oh, okay, I know what that is," after that. tongue.gif On our last project I would demonstrate a bug for a different programmer to which he would say "That's impossible." I'd usually respond "Okay, but..." and point to the screen. laugh.gif

Frank the Avenger
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    I loved visiting with our programmer and asking him about an issue he was having with his program. I'd ask him, "Can you just do ____?" He would always respond with, "That wouldn't work." Me, "Why not?" Response, "It just wouldn't."
    I'd go back to my desk, look up the code, the write it in excel's macro editor (Since we were programming in VB). Then I would present him with the code, "Here, try this." Response, "WOW! That works." Usually it would be one or two lines of code to accomplish what he already had a page of code attempting to do. You'd think he'd listen to me the next time, but sure enough... "That won't work."

Unfortunately, since I was hired to do electronics, my boss wouldn't let me do any coding. Even when we were slow. Guess it's better for me to sit at my desk staring at the walls, than to create useful programs.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    Guess it's better for me to sit at my desk staring at the walls, than to create useful programs.

[/ QUOTE ]

you are not alone.