Home General Discussion

Blizzard Annouces one of the two races for WoW

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/burningcrusade/townhall/index.html

I bet we have to wait till next friday to hear what race the alliance gets. It has been HEAVILY rumored the horde where getting blood elves, and the alliace is getting Padarians. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Replies

• Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    i saw a posting on the blizzard forums the other day that had a whole bunch of 'leaked' information about the expansion pack.

blood elves apparently get a new class called 'spellbreakers' i think. the are basically anti-mages, getting all kinds of resistances and slowly getting demon-like abilities until they can become demons at high levels. (like mages don't have enough problems with resists as is tongue.gif)

i hope blood elves are easy to distinguish between normal elves so the Alliance players don't have to be wary of every elf they approach. (on pvp servers at least..)

uh... since i haven't play the Frozen Throne expansion to Warcraft 3, this isn't a Pa(n)darian is it? please Blizzard, don't give the Horde demonic elves and the Alliance anthropomorphic pandas. frown.gif
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pamarians are the only thing that could get me playing the game.

Hell, the Taurans need something to balance them.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]

blood elves apparently get a new class called 'spellbreakers' i think. the are basically anti-mages, getting all kinds of resistances and slowly getting demon-like abilities until they can become demons at high levels. (like mages don't have enough problems with resists as is tongue.gif)

[/ QUOTE ]Hopefully the Pandarians will be the Alliance answer to the freakin Shaman. Damn I hate those guys...

[ QUOTE ]

i hope blood elves are easy to distinguish between normal elves so the Alliance players don't have to be wary of every elf they approach. (on pvp servers at least..)

[/ QUOTE ] If you see a night elf with a big red name tag, kill it. Basically the Blood elves are thin and don't have broad shoulders like the male night elves do. The blood elves have very light skin and hair color also. I think they also lack the wabbit ears night elves have?

[ QUOTE ]

uh... since i haven't play the Frozen Throne expansion to Warcraft 3, this isn't a Pa(n)darian is it? please Blizzard, don't give the Horde demonic elves and the Alliance anthropomorphic pandas. frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ] That would be the Pandairan. I'm pretty sure this confirms that Bliz hates the alliance and plays shamans... I could see them adding the pandas in as a NPC race, but not really a player character race. I think the Dranei are more likely to be coming out in the X-Pack. They are the ugly ass toad people that wonder around the Swamp of Sarrows. They are originally from the same planet the orcs are from. Horde get the hotties with the crazy mage busting skills, alliance gets the ugly usless race no one wants.
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    I can see you fit right in with the Alliance, Vig tongue.gif
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Go suck your moms utters AZ =P
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haha - I'm not a Tauren I'm a Troll Shaman tongue.gif
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hahaha!
    /me swings a nerf bat at AZ's head and misses.
    For some reason I can never hit a Shaman with that damn bat...
  • Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    If alliance get's Pandarians I'll kill myself.
    I can't believe us horde players are getting blood elves...
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    hahaha!
    /me swings a nerf bat at AZ's head and misses.
    For some reason I can never hit a Shaman with that damn bat...

[/ QUOTE ]

Bah! Rogues are the most over powered class in the game by far. Why is everyone always picking on Shamans? Rogues own my ass everytime as does just about anyone on equal level that knows how to play their class (except maybe Warlocks and Druids ... which need buffing). Hell, I've had my ass handed to me before by a Warrior that was 3 levels lower than me. Shamans are over powered my ass.
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    Shamans are the jack of all trades, and everyone is jealous tongue.gif.

Personally I love my rogue. I have a main rogue and an alt, and I love dishing out the insane amounts of damage. And screw the stunlock build, it's all about straight up combat with sword/mace (higher damage on SS) smile.gif.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Blizzard obviosly favors __________ just look how unbalancing _________ are.
  • pogonip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pogonip polycounter lvl 18
    How about announcing something useful like Diablo 3 ....
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    I play the game, but thankfully not enough to really have any fucking clue what yall are talking about. I would think that stuff would interfere with my enjoyment of it.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    last i heard was Draenae for alliance (long lost orc brethren of Outland, also found in Swamp of Sorrows, and Blasted Lands).

im so fucking hooked on wow, i should get a tattoo, on my arm.
  • Sean McBride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sean McBride polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    How about announcing something useful like Diablo 3 ....

[/ QUOTE ]

Here here!
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Blizzard made the class balance so one class beats another class easily while losing to yet another class. That's obviously rather stupid when you're going one-on-one and the other guy has the rock to your scissors.
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mages > warriors at range
    warriors > mages at close quarters
    rogues > mages
    druids > mages
    hunters > mages
    warlocks > mages
    all > paladins
    shamans > all

can you tell i play a mage on a pvp server? hehe laugh.gif

anyway i read on the WoW forums that they are going to add flying mounts which sounds cool (even if i haven't accquired a regular mount. sad that i've been playing two months or so and i'm only level 34).
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    underpowered you say ash? try a priest some time, which is why i switched to Hunter

/me whacks asherr with his mace and deals 5 damage! tongue.gif

the blood elves sound cool.. but the pandas seem like they would look waaaay out of place running around with all the other races.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k, except when you have one class that just about trumphs all others. It's only rock paper sicors if you don't have the flamethower added into the mix that melts sicors, burns paper, and brings the rock inches from death.

Asherr, I feel your pain, I play a mage. Stick it out till 40, dump enough points in arcane to get Pressense of Mind(turns the next spell you cast into an instast cast), and Arcane power(ups the power of all spells by 35% for 15sec). When you hit 40 you have an instant cast fireball that does 35% more damage, follow that with a fireblast which is instant cast, then if they are not dead fire off some acane missles as they run away or feablily try to pound you into the ground. It only works once every 30 min but its your ace in the hole.

Snemmy is right too, priests can't solo on thier own very well unless they spec for shadow then its sketchy at best, and they kind of have a tough time healing.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Rock-Paper-Scissors is already stupid when you have to pick one at the start and have to go with it for years, imbalances just add to the mix.
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    can you tell i play a mage on a pvp server? hehe laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Lemme guess: Alliance?

As a shammy the only classes that I can fairly consistently "pwn" are: Hunters, Warlocks, and Druids - in that order. Warriors, Pallys and Rogues 3+ levels beneath me have bested me 1 on 1. Particularly if they get the initiative on me (which Rogues <u>ALWAYS</u> do). If a mage of around the same level can keep their distance from me they will win, as will a shadow priest (which shouldn't be too hard with their ability to "fear" me). Personally I think anyone who complains about any class being over-powered needs to learn how to play thier class better. There was even a video that was going around a few months ago of a warlock that was defeating multiple 60s at the same time. So, while even warlocks are gimped I think they have potential if you spec and know how to play them right.

[edit] here's one of those videos: http://www.fileplanet.com/152594/150000/fileinfo/World-of-Warcraft---Warlock-PVP-Movie
  • JKim3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKim3 polycounter lvl 18
    That was a pretty impressive video. I played a warlock up to lvl 34 and found it kinda crappy and really boring. Of course, I mainly did PvE. not PvP. That guy relied on Fear a lot, which I found didn't work well with PvE. Oh well.
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yes i'm an alliance mage but i wasn't complaining about any class being overpowered. i have fun with the pvp except for a few incidents involving a Horde rogue who killed me about 3 times as i was grinding.

i attacked a dinosaur in the Arathi Highlands and halfway through the fight the rogue backstabbed me and killed me. i run back to my corpse, rez and ran to the alliance camp heal. so a couple minutes have passed then i go out an attack another dinosaur, same rogue same thing happened. rinse repeat... after the thrid time i rezzed at the spirit healer and went back to IronForge. not a good day. smile.gif

yesterday i was doing a quest in dustwallow marsh. walk up to a NPC to finish a quest and he fights me. almost as soon as the fight started a Hunter's Mark appeared on me. i thought it was a npc until i looked behind me and saw a Horde Hunter. then as part of the quest Jaina Proudmoore (from warcraft3 and an Alliance boss character) shows up and starts talking to the npc i was fighting meanwhile i get killed by the hunter and Jaina does nothing. frown.gif

smile.gif
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    except for a few incidents involving a Horde rogue who killed me about 3 times as i was grinding

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, Rogues are just a pain in the ass, period. They almost always get the drop on you because of stealth and then they can repeatedly stun you while dishing out massive crits. I have been killed by Rogues around my level while never even getting a shot in because of their ability to repeatedly stun and follow it up with a crit. Like I said, I don't get where all the shammy hate comes from when Rogues are so blatanlty the most over powered class in the game.
  • Isis' Minion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isis' Minion polycounter lvl 18
    I'll let you in on a secret:
    Earthbind totem, run around totem (keeping totem between you and rogue), Frostshock, Earthshock, Frostshock, Earthshock, etc, etc...
    Keep out of melee range. If a rogue jumps you, heal yourself (you wont die yet, unless you have really crappy gear maybe...stun != evisc (dmg), so just heal after the stun), then do the above. If he hits the totem, he'll lose his Combo Points (needed for Evisc). The Lava totem (?) is also usefull, since it will hit the rogue if he's stealthed. Nerf ranged.

As for mages...Stun = blink, if the rogue gets close, Frost Nova (Nova range is HUGE). Frost Armor also helps. Spammin Arcane Explosion usually kills rogues (yes, all in range) within 15 seconds. Also, just keep running and jumping...they wont be able to backstab unless they have minor speed increase on boots or if they have crippled you. Nerf Arcane Explosion.

Level 60 priests murder almost everything (melee, anyways). Shield can be spammed, so almost all damage is absorbed. Nerf Fear (that shit doesnt break!!! even when i get nuked into oblivion).

I play rogue on a PvP server. If a hunter sees me (goggles...gg), i'm dead. Rogues are NOT overpowered. At least, not at 60. Warriors do about the same damage as rogues (if not more) and ranged can usually just kite us to death (all you can try then is vanish, sprint and run). Stealth is an advantage, but it is quite easily lost (Hunter's Mark, Fireball DoT, Warlock DoTs, Shadow Word: Pain, Faerie Fire, AoE), so i wouldnt label it 'imbalanced'. Shammies can be tough to kill. Luckily, not many shammies play as i described above. If they dont, just use Thistle Tea and down them as quick as you can laugh.gif

On a side note:
    - Stoneform (dwarf racial) breaks Blind.
    - Iceblock (mage talent skill) breaks Sap.
    - 4 Kills a day. Any more and you get 0 honor for it. People who kill you more than 4 times a day are probably noob or frustrated.

And now, on-topic:
    I think the new Alliance race will either be Draenei (gives Alliance a reason to go to Outlands, like Blood Elf does for Horde) or Furbolg (Timbermaw Hold has a HUGE gate...they are the only Furbolgs that haven't been corrupted) or possibly a race that appears out of nowhere (like they did with gnomes). Pandaren would seem highly unlikely, as they dont really fit inside the current world and they have been used as an April Fool joke.

Blood Elf racial traits will be very strong. Hopefully they will balance out the traits of the other races.

There wont be any additional classes or, at least, nothing has been mentioned about it yet.

Some of the content shown at Blizzcon will probably be released in upcoming patches already.
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, great tips, IM, I'll try that next time I get jumped by a rogue smile.gif In any case, you seem to be backing up what I'm saying that no class is truly over-powered if you just know how to play them right against the other classes.

I think the new race will probably be one of the two you mention. I believe Blizz gave the Horde the blood elves to attract people that would normally play Alliance because of physical traits and that they will give some sort of "monster" to the Alliance for the same reason; to attract people who normally would play as Horde. I'm pretty sure that their won't be a new class just because it seems to be challenging enough to balance the classes they already have without introducing another.
  • neolith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    neolith polycounter lvl 18
    Pffft... letting the bloodelves join one of the existing fractions is one of the most stupid ideas Blizzard ever had.

Just my 2c...
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My shammy hate comes from playing in the BG's and trying to chase down a pack of shammies that keep dropping the slowing totems. Every 10ft another slow totem. Also its a lot of the "the grass is greener". I spend a lot of time (lately) questing on a pvp server so I am normally running on half a tank when some Hordie shows up and decides to throw down. Not really any beef with one class but since I see more shamans than anything, I tend to hold a grudge agaist them. It also seems that there is no paper to some of the shamans rocks. If there are I haven't found the right class to deal with some of thier tricks.

Also, its always easier to tell other people to just play smarter, when you are one of the most powerful classes. "I get dropped sometimes, so they must be doing something right?". I would suggest to anyone that gravitates to the "your just stupid, play better" attitude they try the other classes and see how it feels to be more or less not on top. It's kind of like the rich guy telling the poor guy, just get more money. Your poor because you choose to be, you just don't work hard enough.

I play:
    Cenarius (PvE)
    40 Warrior (A)
    41 Priest (A)
    60 Rogue (A)
    14 Shaman (H)

PvP
    44 Mage (A)

I'm not one of those players crying for a nerf, or even bitch that much in chat about shamans. I sure as hell don't post in the WoW/guild forums, crying for nerfs. But I am not supprised when one shaman sticks his big ass axe in my tiny news paper wearing body and cleaves me in two.

I also have to agree that rogues seem over powered until 50+, then they are pretty much pointless/useless. The first character I played was a rogue, went all the way to 60. It was a fun ride until 50. I would suggest to anyone interested in end game content, that they not play rogue. In pvp your bait and thats about it. But then again, if you think rogues are overpowered, then your not playing smart enough or haven't played a rogue to know thier weaknesses =P (jab jab)
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    anyone got a link to a high res map of the WoW world? i remember someone in #md linking to it a while ago. it was about 3mb 3000x6000 or something in size.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There is an addon for wow that brings up instance maps in game, it's called atlas. Outside of that there are a few other map sites like;

http://www.worldofwar.net/cartography/

http://worldofwarcraft.gameamp.com/game_map/viewGameMaps

http://www.worldofwconline.com/gallery/maps