Home General Discussion

Need Some College Advice

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Striff polycounter lvl 18
Hey guys - I'm 17 and going to be graduating High School come June. I currently live in San Diego (there are about 6 studios within a 15 mile distance of me). I'm looking to get into the industry as an environmental artist.

I have a good idea of what path to take to get into the industry as an environmental artist. I know two people (one of them is a lead concept artist) who work for a very large video game company in the area in two separate departments. Both of them have told me the day I turn 18, If I want to, they will look into getting me an internship at their work doing micelaneous things, and if they can't get me an internship, they will look into things such as being a GM for their online games (The people at the companies I know said that they like to hire from within, and a GM is a good place to start).

I have the grades to get into a UC (University of California) school, but I would rather go to community college, because If I happen to get a small job at a studio, I will be able to live in the area...and it is cheaper. My parents have also expressed interest in me going to a college like Full Sail or Guildhall to get an education there.

This is where my main problem comes up, should I go through college first and then go to a school like the Guildhall or Full Sail? I have self taught myself everything I know about 3d programs over three years, and I feel that going to a community college for my first two years of college then going to a UC for two years might be a waste of time and money, because I won't really be able to learn anything related to the field in those non-specialty colleges. I know that many companies like seeing people that have graduated from a four year college because that shows dedication.

What do some of you think I should do? Go straight to a specialty school, or go for four years of college at a UC (or maybe even go to a community college for two years, then to a specialty school, then finish my last 2 years of college)? My parents can pay for me to at least go through a four year college, or a specialty school, but I really don't think they can, or should feel obligated to pay for both. I feel if I leave the area I am in, I will loose some opportunities that I have in the area. If I do end up going to a four year college, what do you recommend I major in?

After reading through dozens of semi similar posts here, It definatly pushed me to start to build an online porfolio. I'm aiming to have one up by the time I graduate.

Thanks guys.

Replies

• KMan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KMan polycounter lvl 18
    I'd probably start with the community college. Take some general stuff you can transfer with if you decide to take it further. Then take as many drawing, 2d/color theory and figure drawing classes as you can. Even if you aren't going to do character art for games, the figure drawing classes will help tremendously with your line quality, and how you render volumes of light and shadow. If you can get in as an internship, that's great, take as many art classes as you can handle. If you end up as a GM, same thing. Going to a place like full sail or guildhall would be more of a place you'd go to after you already have a degree of some sort like fine art, and looking to get into the digital side of things. But as you already seem to have an understanding of the tools, ditch that, and go for the fundamentals that can build your talent. And since you already have some contacts in the industry that those types of schools try and make for you, you are already a step up in the game.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Getting a degree is going to be really helpful in the long run, regardless of whether you can find yourself an internship after high school. I'd say you should go get one. The college experience is also not something you'd want to miss.

Personally what Im doing, is going to a university (loyola marymount), majoring in Animation, but also getting a bussiness minor or maybe double majoring and an art minor. Do I think that I needed to go there to get good enough to get a job? Definitely not. I could probably learn faster on my own. I still feel like its a good experience for me.

Hell, if your parents can afford to send you to college, then take them up on it. If money is kind of an issue, then I would say, go to a community college and take a ton of traditional art classes and work on 3d on your own.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about trying to get a job right now. Just work on your skills. Its not a race smile.gif
  • nitzmoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nitzmoff polycounter lvl 18
    I won't say much because ultimately this a huge decision you have to make yourself, but a degree is always preferable to none.

Regardless of any hookups you have right now, if you stick with this business (and perhaps even more importantly if you do not) a degree is something that you need in this day and age.

Employers like people who have been through the system.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    do the 4 year. a more well rounded education will serve you better in the long run; you can go to a specialty school later if you want.
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 19
    drop out, do lots of drugs, drink alot of alcohol, have lots of unprotected sex...

inbetween all that make sure u dedicate all ur time to improving ur skills and surviving moneywise, and you should be ok. just don't slack, don't sit around and vegetate, don't wait to be taught. smile.gif
  • Paul Jaquays
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul Jaquays polycounter lvl 18
    I'm gauss on this one. People with rounder education backgrounds (or broader, or with more depth) often make better game developers. Taking the time to get a university degree exposes a person to ideas, areas of study and types of people that a more focused art or technical school may not give a student. Young people also do a LOT of maturing (and even growing up!) during that time, and come to know themselves and what they really want to do during that time.

A BA or BS degree gives you the potential for "escape" from the industry if you later become disenchanted with it (Yes it happens all the time). And I also recommend NOT getting an undergrad degree (at least not a major) in game development. Game degrees need a level of focus that one can't really get through an undergrad experience.
  • Erol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Erol polycounter lvl 18
    I've done all routes. I went to school and got a BS in Comp Sci and BFA in Fine Art. Worked for a while then went back to one of the 'specialty schools' to get training in 3D. When it came time to get a job, the stuff I did @ a 4 year uni was probably more important than having a 'game degree'. This is of course only applies to where I'm working, as they placed more emphasis on being a well rounded artist over knowing all the buttons in Maya--hiring mentality will differ from place to place.

My goals at the 'specialty school' were a little different (well, what I expected out of it, anyway). I went for *training* and got exactly that. I didn't take any gen ed courses there as I had plenty transfer from before, but I can say that there wasn't much offered there. The specialty schools train you for a very specific job. I felt I was trained very well, but if I had been looking for a well rounded education that exposed me to a variety of things one would hope to be exposed to at such a critical time, I probably would've been disappointed.

I'm not endorsing one over the other, as both had plusses and minuses, so keep in mind that not all ba/bs's are created equal and that these schools are very different beasts and independently will offer very different experiences. I've know people who've loved and loathed each, so it's gonna be up to you.

It might be worth your time to email some of the HR contacts and get their opinions.
  • Striff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Striff polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

It might be worth your time to email some of the HR contacts and get their opinions.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the idea man. My friend is brining me into his work when he is done with his game to talk to many of the employees there and get their opinions.
  • JBoskma
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JBoskma polycounter lvl 18
    I'm currently studying at VFS and it really lives up to it's promisses. I'm in the 3D Animation and Visual Effects stream which takes 1 year. A very very intense year though. If you are willing to go to school till 11 pm every day. Have classes on Saturday morning, and work on Sundays, then I think VFS is the best course to take. I don't know if you're willing to move to Vancouver, but the city sure is nice as well.
    Since the day I've started I have got a great feeling about this entire school. It's incredibly proffesionaly orientated, but that doesn't take away the fun. The instructors arn't only very pasionate about the subject they are teaching, they also often have a really impresive credits list, and the abbility to bring over their knowledge to you.
    I'm not saying these things only because I'm studying here myself right now. I'm being really honest and have to say, that this is a very special school.
    VFS also offers a Game Design and a Foundation course btw.
    So if you want a huge skills upgrade, a filled portfolio, a professional attitude, and getting into contact with a lot of very interesting (future) employers, then you might want to get some more info about this place. www.vfs.com
    Oh btw, I basicly got here when I got out of high school as well. I attended a wellknown Dutch Art School back in the Netherlands, but quit it to study at VFS. I'm in a minority though, cause a lot of people from my class have had more schooling into fine art, architecture and advertisement for instance.