Home Technical Talk

3dsmax8 error message?

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
I get a error message when trying to install the trial version of max 8. It halts at the very end which is just great!

The message i recieve is
" ERROR 1920 service 'RayStat_3dsmax8 server' (mi-raystat_3dsmax8) failed to start. Verify that you have sufficient priviledges to start system services."

But i am the admin so what could be obstructing the installation process?

could i get any help also has anyone gotten this error also. I spoke with another individual who has the same problem. What gives?

Replies

• Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    If you're running WinXP, you need to make sure that WinXP's firewall isn't blocking that program from accessing the internet. That raystat program is a web connection utility that makes sure you aren't using a crack, I would think.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I think it's actually something to do with Mental Ray, but yeah, firewall sounds like a likely problem...
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IDK, im about to see if i can uninstall the default windowsxp firewall. I uninstalled my firewall software and everything, i have a program that allows me to control what starts up when you first load windows and even in that no firewall up or anything it still gave me that message. I had someone go get that same file and send it to me to see if maybe i got a corrupt version. So yea i wish it was just the firewall. I was thinking about reformating but idk if that is too extreme. Thanx for the replies guys idk what else to do, i search google for the error and a work around if someone could help me pass this situation i would be truley amazed.

Thanx again!
  • pyromania
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pyromania polycounter lvl 18
    You should check the Event Viewer to see if it logged any errors about the service. If you go to

Start Menu>>Control Panel>>Administrative Tools>>Event viewer

You will have 3 sections, Application, Security, and System down the left hand side. Clicking on these will show the events that have occured on the system. If you see any with red X's or yellow !'s definatly open those up and see if it relates to the 3dsMAX service.
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In the Application Section Numerous Red X's:

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: RaySat_3dsmax8 Server
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 2
    Date: 10/13/2005
    Time: 12:35:18 AM
    User: N/A
    Computer: 1x587d7x7
    Description:
    The description for Event ID ( 2 ) in Source ( RaySat_3dsmax8 Server ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: (1632) getservbyname: The requested name is valid and was found in the database, but it does not have the correct associated data being resolved for. (0x2afc), .

Thanx, who do i speak to about this now:(!
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    I would remove the "i have a program that allows me to control what starts up when you first load windows" then reinstall 3dsmax8. Then reinstall the "i have a program that allows me to control what starts up when you first load windows "

Those type of programs are known to corrupt installations.
  • pyromania
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pyromania polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    In the Application Section Numerous Red X's:

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: RaySat_3dsmax8 Server
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 2
    Date: 10/13/2005
    Time: 12:35:18 AM
    User: N/A
    Computer: 1x587d7x7
    Description:
    The description for Event ID ( 2 ) in Source ( RaySat_3dsmax8 Server ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer.....

[/ QUOTE ]

This message usually means that your computer isn't running a service that the MAX service is looking for. Usually something like the DCOM or RPC services.

Have you disabled any services?
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not that i know of.
    I uninstalled everything i thought would conflict with it but it's all the same thing.

I have max 7 on here also.. and only one HD to work from.. idk what could be causing it. Must be somthing new in max8 to run it that my computer doesnt like? idk.

HELP:( thanx for assisting me everyone but i am still have max8user envy.

EDIT im looking into the services options and found a user name that is not listed when i start windows. It was Nt user: which im figuring was DELL's smart ass...

Let's see if this helps, i figured i listen to your mentioning of the services and checked the services options u mentioned and both had an unusual name i put local user instead and i hope it works. i'll edit all this giberish and say this worked.
    =)
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No Luck, idk i have another computer luckly and it worked just fine on their. Also it doesnt have internet connection so i dont see how allowing it to access the net is any good.... I was figuring it tried to act as a server so it can send information back and forth. Idk just all speculation really.

So I guess cause i have a DeLL that means im screwed right:(?