Home Technical Talk

Sub-object Uv editing in max8 - broken?

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
Hopefully some of you have the Max8 demo....
When editing UVs, I'll usually make a poly selection of an area, apply an unwrap, and then edit the UVs.
What I'm seeing in max8 though, is that after selecting the polys and going into unwrap, I cannot modify the UV's if I go from vertex to poly selection in the unwrap UI.
The UVs certainly become edited for the current selection, but doesn't affect anything attached to it. It shows it as being edited in the UV unwrap, but nothing is taking place on the mesh itself.

An example would be to take a flat plane, and inset the poly a little. Apply a UVmap and collapse the stack. Select the entire mesh, then apply an unwrap to it. In the unwrap window, select the POLY selection mode, and select the inner poly of the plane UVs. Use the scale tool, and see what happens (apply a texture to the mesh first, so you can see what I mean).

I first thought it was an issue with the Chuggnut UV tools, but after overwriting it with the default it still does the same.

Any ideas?

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Hmm, well, I don't think I ran up against that specific thing, but when I tried out UV-mapping in the trial, some weird stuff was happening...

Sometimes if I Planar mapped something, turned off Planar map, then tried to move the selection of faces in the UV window, the whole thing just disappeared - same with rotate and scale. It got moved to the top left pixel of the UV window, essentially making the whole selection 1 vertex, and meaning I had to map the selection again.

I found it didn't do this if I converted the selection to verts before trying to move/rotate/scale. Was weird and annoying.
  • skrubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skrubbles polycounter lvl 18
    I haven't had those problems (yet) with UV mapping in 8. Only thing I've noticed is that when I planar map the selected polys don't maintain their shape... the selection automatically stretches oddly to fit to the edges of the uvediting square. I don't know if this has always happened in max and if there's a checkbox somewhere that turns it off, but it's never happened to me before. The only way I can manage to correct the problem and get the correct shape of the polys is to use the relax tool and crank it up to 1.0.

Overall the new UV map tools are cool, and including other mapping options besides planar is pretty sweet even though I'm sure I'm not gonna use them. The only other annoyances I have right now is that when you click on the planar map button it stays active until you click on it again... meaning that I can't edit the polys I just planar mapped until I click that button... pretty small thing to complain about, but it gets annoying.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm also noticing tha some of the Max8 functions are missing.
    There's supposed to be an UV image dump from the editor (much like Texporter), which is in all of the "max8 features" videos. There's also a function of the SWEEP modifier that's also missing. It has a check box for 'union intersections', but it appears to be disabled in the demo.

How can you evaluate it's new features, when they're not there?.......
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    There is a UV image dump, Vassago! It's in the top toolbar of the UV window!
  • ironbearxl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ironbearxl polycounter lvl 18
    Guys, if you're loading a custom ui scheme into max 8 then these problems will occur, try loading a default max 8 scheme.
  • skrubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skrubbles polycounter lvl 18
    that's what I thought at first... switched back to the default UI but I still get the same problem.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    ibxl: mine is the default scheme... why should loading a custom UI scheme mean that my UV's randomly get scaled to 0 and placed in the top left of the UV window?!
  • FatAssasin
  • Jhotun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jhotun polycounter lvl 18
    Sorry guys, here it all goes perfectly. I have tried to recreate the problems you are describing, but it all works perfectly. Also, let me tell you that pelt mapping and the Relaz by Face Angle is a god bless laugh.gif

Cheers
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP - it does seem right, actually.
    I was in fact using a custom color/toolbar/shortcut setup from max6/7. When I chose the max8 "light" UI, the tools showed up. I am, however, still getting that UV editor issue.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's some pics of the issue I'm experiencing:

error13qm.th.jpg

error28am.th.jpg

error32qr.th.jpg

error46sr.th.jpg

Bit of a typo in that last pic. The Uv's on the mesh DID change for that selected face, but ONLY for that face. The connected polys didn't have their UV's edited, regardless of the UV window showing otherwise.

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Weird, Vassago!

I just tried that exact same thing, every different way I tried, it worked fine and just as expected... *shrug*.

I made a plane, converted to EPoly, Inset the poly, applied a UV-Map modifier, Collapsed the stack, applied an Unwrap, and scaled the centre face... no problem.

I also tried that same method, only without applying the UV-map modifier at all, just used the Unwrap alone... also tried it with the UV-map modifier un-collapsed in the stack below the Unwrap... all of those methods had the correct results, I didn't see anything like what you're experiencing!

I thought it was maybe something like Preserve UV's, or Prevent Reflattening, or something? No idea...
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You need to make sure that your polys are selected, though. Before assigning a UVUnwrap, select all polys, then apply the unwrap. Then in the UVwindow, click the face selection tool and select/scale the center face.

If I just straight up apply an Unwrap WITHOUT first selecting the mesh faces, it works fine.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Oh, right, yeah, i see - it does that for me too, but only if i leave the EPoly in Sub-Object face mode before applying the unwrap UV.

i guess that would have never occurred to me, because I never apply an unwrap modifier when i'm in a sub-object mode anyway, i always apply it on the top level...
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, if I have a huge mesh, and I only want to edit the Uv's of a small section, I always select them first. It's always worked in previous versions of max, so I don't see why they changed it frown.gif