Options
    Offline / Send Message
    James Edwards polycounter lvl 18
    That made no sense at all.
  • r13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r13 founder
    gwot: ben is trying to express much amusement at the previous post. It's like laughing. but he does it out loud, you see.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Ya know, from the long demo I was given of modo recently It really is clear to me that it absolutely rules. I went back to work in maya feeling like I was knocking some flint together to make fire.
    I was sorely tempted to buy it, but I just can't help but think that if I'm gonna invest time and money in learning a new app, why not instead of paying even $695 for a modeler, pay less and get a complete 3D app including bulit in compositor in XSI?
  • nealb4me
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nealb4me polycounter lvl 18
    Daz, I have used XSI's modelling tools extensively and have to say they are the best I have ever used. I was looking into Modo but from what I have seen it only matches XSI's capabilities and does not significantly exceed them in any one area. So I totally agree with you, XSI is great value.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    Modo looks impressive for what it is. Being able to paint bumpmaps is nice, but already available in Bodypaint3D, and for a lower cost. Although BP3D isn't a modeler, (and neither is Cinema4D :P).
    For the price, XSI is more than enough power. In the end, the decision is based on your wallet, and what you can do with the tools. I've read the history of Modo's developers, and they're doing a fine job.
  • James Edwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    James Edwards polycounter lvl 18
    My biggest beef with XSI (as of 5.0) is still with its selection and navigation tools. For 2 of the most heavily used features in any 3d app, these are the most backward, ill-thought UI defaults I've ever seen. The modeling tools are top notch though, and a couple of them, like add edge, and the tweak tool, have no equal in any software.

Modo's selection and navigation tools are more streamlined and intuitive for me, though some of its best modeling tools lag slightly behind XSI, I still seem to favor the overall feel and workflow I have in modo. I'm expecting the 201 upgrade to add even more reasons to stick with it for my modeling and surfacing needs.

The initial buy-in for modo is a little steep though. I'd probably be reconsidering buying it myself if the sting from my initial purchase last year hadn't worn off already. =]

At 295, and a very impressive upgrade list, 201 is a no-brainer for existing users.