Home General Discussion

King Kong PC Demo

FatAssasin
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
FatAssasin polycounter lvl 18
Fan-freakin-tastic!

http://www.fileplanet.com/157500/150000/fileinfo/King-Kong-Demo

This is the first game that makes me want to get a 360. The PC version is cool, but I'm guessing it will be more enjoyable on a console, especially the third person Kong sections.

Replies

• pogonip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pogonip polycounter lvl 18
    What I want to know is what is Blizzard announcing today ? It's like 630 pacific time and still no announcment ...ohh yeah and kong demo looks cool too wink.gif
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    They were announcing that a character from the Starcraft series would be in the next DoA game ... Ok, I am only kidding. Although, that would have been preferable to what they were doing - building up for ... get this .... are you ready?!?!?! ... the launch of the newly re-designed battle.net site!!! I just feel all giddy inside now!!! poly116.gif
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    ok yeah that kong demo was pretty damn rockin'. They did a good job o f portraying the intensity of the situations. This does seem to me to be somewhere between a game and interactive storytelling.
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    Screens look pimp. My laptop at home won't run it, and unfortunatly I won't be back at work for another month.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    I dunno guys, I thought the demo was really awful I'm afraid. So obviously a console port.
  • JKim3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKim3 polycounter lvl 18
    It was kinda.....really short. If that's what I can expect the game to be, I'll pass. I have no problem with the FPS stuff being simple (mainly the no jumping), but doesn't seem to offer anything new inplace of that. It was a scenario that would sound really cool on paper, but its execution was just fine. Felt the Kong stuff was kinda weak. Not much of a combat system. The platforming wasn't horrible, but wasn't much fun. It felt too straight forward.

But, it was a really short demo, so maybe it's a much better game.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    As a movie to game conversion, its pretty damn good. As a game unto itself, it seems like a bit of light fun. I like the Kong sections throwing little dinosaurs around and generally being destructive. The FPS sections didn't realy shwo enough to really pass judgements, but it has a few nice touches.

A bit of light, fun, graphically pretty entertainment. I don't have any problems with that...
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    I'm going with Daz on this one, sure it's great on the PS2 or Xbox. The combat was not really fun with a mouse. The fur didn't look that great up close either.
  • ewooz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ewooz polycounter lvl 18
    I guess the game isn't meant to be other than a sitting by the Christmas-tree-munching-pudding-and-nipping-a-typical Christmas-drink-while-you-play-game. But the atmosphere is really nice I think, not bad for a real time engine, but I had all features on full and 1200x1024 rez. Perhaps it's not as enjoyable on a slower system... But it is a short-lived one since all the hype will be over as soon as the movie has had its last show.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    I don't think system specs has anything to do with it. Mine is pretty high. Features? There were no 'features' smile.gif I cranked it up to the highest setting. The 3D engine was doing absolutely nothing special at all. No multi-pass, blurry textures on the highest setting, really crappy lighting. Everything was just ambiently lit. This is clearly a 3D engine ( and game ) made for current consoles, and then ported to PC, because it is positively archaic compared to current PC games. Imagine the fun to be had nicely texturing a T-Rex with specular and normal mapping and other passes?! Totally missed oppurtunity. I'm sure the game will be much better on the consoles it was designed for.
  • man_o_mule
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    man_o_mule polycounter lvl 18
    I recently played the demo, and i thought it was fun, but shallow.

The FPS section was way too short to really get a feal for the game. I liked that you had to bring up your gun before shooting, and how he tells you how much ammo you have left verbaly. But running in circles around a 8 foot brick wall with a t-rex chasing you, that could easily just reach over the top and eat you = too dumb to be fun.

The part where you play as king kong was much more fun. But the controls leave a bit to be desired. Mouse 1 to hit, mouse 2 to grab, and if you somehow trigger the death dealing bit, you just mash buttons to deliver the final blow. Felt kinda like a beautified version of rock em' sock em' robots.

I do have to mention that while we might not think the game was that pretty, it does tend to draw people to it. I was playing the demo at a lan and almost half the people there stopped to watch for at least a few mins.