Home General Discussion

phantom disk drives?!

Daz
Daz
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Daz polycounter lvl 18
Anyone seen this before? I haven't changed the configuration of my machine at all ( other than a new monitor )

The only 'real' drives here are A, D, C, E, F and K ( portable ) . The rest 'showed up' last night. Weirdness. I am frantically backing my important shit up I can assure you!

drives.jpg

Replies

• thnom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thnom polycounter lvl 18
    You installed Nero/Alcohol 120%/Daemon Tools? anything like that?
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Do you have any removable media? Ipods? USB storage? Card readers? It looks like something along those lines is leaving a "ghost" in that your computer isnt seeing it being disconnected when you do. The next time you plug it in (or use whatever it is) the same thing happens.

A easy way to find out what these are referencing is right clicking on the removable drive and see what is highlighted under hardware.

Go into your disk management utility and poke around it a bit.
  • ewooz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ewooz polycounter lvl 18
    Yep all MS/MS Pro, MMC/SD, SmartMedia/xD, CompactFlash I/II and other stuff will show up like that.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    No, no software installed lately. K is a removable drive. I also use an ipod but that's not in. I'll have a look at the disk management utility thanks.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Right click also on those drives and look what is highlights as hardware. It will help you narrow the list down.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    It lists my 3 fixed internal hard drives as IBM-DTTA, WDC WD800BB and SAMSUNG MP0402H. There's a remaining 4 listed as 'SMSC 223 U HS-SM USB devices. With the new monitor installed, all my USB's are now used up. Wacoms etc. But they shoulnd't show up as drives surely?!
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So does the monitor have some type of USB port replicator? Why is it plugged into your USB port?
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    I don't know why the monitor needs USB too but it does. It's a biggun. These drives showed up last night so they must be to do with it.
  • Super
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Super polycounter lvl 18
    The Dell 24" by any chance? If so, it's that. All the flash card crap or whatever the hell it accepts. Confused me too.

(Don't suppose images in PS look like they have high contrast too do they? Every time I do a screengrab or open an image - b&w ones especially - looks like the contrast is really high but when I save it as a jpg and then view again it displays normally).
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah it is thanks! What a weird side effect! Haven't had any high contrast issues yet no, although as Scooby warned me, I wish I could turn the damn brightness down.