Home General Discussion

new radeons! wee... where the hell are they???

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
rawkstar polycounter lvl 19
so the new radeons came out, sais available now, but newegg isn't carrying any, and also there are absolutely 0 NONE NADA Crossfire supporting motherboards... whats up with that?

just a rant

Replies

• KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    I thought they said "shipping now"?
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 19
    yeah I looked through pricewatch and aparently they're "available now" but they're only gonna ship on oct 12th... hopefully newegg will have something by monday...
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ATI is falling way behind nvidia on actually releasing products. They are going to have to release this card at $300 or less to compete with nvidia's 7800GT which you can oc and unlock pipes on to get about 95% of the performance of the GXT for only about $350. Once people start seeing the benchmarks i think the only people who will get these cards are the diehard ati fanboys that buy anything ati slaps thier name on. That is of course unless they release it at $300. (HA!)
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    From the first reviews it appears that the ATI is only very slightly faster in some games and slower in other.
    If you are some 3D Mark score freak then yeah you get a lot higher score.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    I want the fastest most expensive card on the market...at all times. And I want it right now! I said now mommy! I also want the fastest car, the fastest game console, the fastest women, and the fastest breadmaker. Anything else simply isn't worth buying.

So far the benchmarks are kicking Nvidia's ass again until their next release. I'm not a fanboy. All the ATI's I've installed work, and work well. They're not going anywhere.

Toomas: Some games like D3 are Nvidia games, where HL2 is an ATI game. That explains the stupid Nvidia logo you see when some games launch, and the shifts in benchmarks. Wouldn't surprise me if some rigged their game to perform terribly with competitor hardware, influencing sales.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kicking nvidia's ass? i've seen 2-3 fps differences either way in most games. Only thing that is significantly better is 3dmark scores and those are theorectical and totaly pointless if you dont get the same gains in real games.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's 3 fps of ass kicking power. Bow down peon! Jumps in FPS aren't that great anymore. It only takes 30 to have film quality motion. And 60 can be quite enough. Why must Nvidia fanboys be so uptight about this? The fact that there are two GPU companies is a good thing. If Nvidia makes a huge mistake for a product release, like marketing chainsaws, it dies down quick. But if ATI shows up later than expected with a quality product, OMG the end is nigh! If it's keeping up with rendering standards, it will sell.
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    Am I the only one who sees a striking similarity to what happend with Nvidia during the release of the XBox1?

Never deal with someone so big that he can f*** you up bigtime and still convince you that you love it wink.gif
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think you're overeacting just a little bit will, im sure it will sell, theres plenty of ati fanboys that will buy it. I just dont think anyone but them will unless its priced very competively. Ati is like 4 months late on this generation of graphics cards and like an entire year late on SLI. In this industry thats almost an entire cycle and two for sli dude, its a pretty big fuckup on thier part.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And now both Nintendo and Microsoft are using ATI for their consoles. While the PS3 will use Nvidia, and come fully featured with an easily detachable CD tray cover. ATI's market is secure.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    EQ: Isn't ATI's method of SLI'ing better than NVidia's, though? I thought it was entirely forwards- and backwards-compatible, even with cards from other manufacturers. AFAIK, Nvidia's doesn't allow this.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mop: Crossfire works with one "Crossfire card" that you can then add lesser ati cards to, afaik. But we've yet to see if its actually faster or slower than SLI and its coming out so late that i think most people who wanted to go with a dual card system already have nforce4 sli mobos. Maybe not, there could be a huge number of people that have been waiting for ati's version but i dont think its very probable.

Will: I'm not worried about ati's market share dude, i never said they were going out of bussiness or anything just commenting on how much they've seemed to have lost grasp of the larger portion of the market since the 9800/fx days where ati was the clear winner. (The market being end user sales, not console sales.)
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, but you did say that guys like me only buy ATI because we'll buy anything with that name slapped on. And for that, I'm no longer putting out for you.

I'm still stuck in those 9800 days, where ATI is still the clear winner. Honestly, these companies need to slow down a bit. laugh.gif
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah back then it was clear the ATI was making better, cheaper cards. Then the 6800 and x800 series came out and they we're about even, now they're about even again except that ATI is so late with thier products. Which puts them about even as whole if you're keeping track of the score from the last 3 rounds. Either way you go you're going to be getting a damned good card tho
  • EarthQuake
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Faster and cheaper than the GF 7800GTX. Not bad.
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Faster and cheaper than the GF 7800GTX. Not bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

???
    http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=26720

and they are the same price on newegg?