Home General Discussion

"University" vs. "the University"?

What's up with people saying "...when I was at University..." but omitting the article "the"?

This always bugs me for some reason, like misspelling, or bad punctuation. It makes University sound like a verb rather than a noun. It seems to be used only by natives of non-English-language countries, but I'm not sure.

Also seems Jews refer to their church as purely "Temple" not "the Temple." For example, "Tonight we're going to Temple."

Anyone know the etymology of these constructions, and can help inform an illiterate American?

Replies

• danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    i've never in my life said "i was at the university" unless i was talking to someone who knew which university i was talking about. I'm sure there's a technical way of describing this but i really can't be arsed
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    i am in austraila right now and they say "the" but they only say Uni.. even stuff at the Uni like the store is called the UniShop and the bar is called the UniBar..
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here in the U.S. people say "I was at the University of Nebraska in Omaha."

But strange enough, some schools that are named with a surname seem to work just fine without an article (the, a, an, are called "articles"). For example, "I was at Brown University."

I tend to chalk up such anomolies to English just being such a mess of a language, with all its special cases.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    People also say "I was in College" or "I was in School". I think it's used as a class of objects (i.e. any university, not a certain one).
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah OK, it's using university as a noun rather than a pronoun. If a pronoun, then you’re referring to a specific university. But if a noun, then it could be any university. "I went to the church" vs. "I went to church."

I think the weirdness I feel when I hear it is because I personally think of the word "university" as a pronoun, not a general place. Same thing with "temple" I guess.

Weird how language and associations work. Thanks guys.
  • jzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jzero polycounter lvl 18
    It's the English or European vernacular. It makes sense to say 'When I was in college' in the US, only they say 'When I was in University'.

And it's not 'using it as a pronoun', I think you mean using it as a proper noun. A pronoun is a substitute noun, like 'he', 'she' or 'it'. A proper noun is like a name. What you mean is, the Euro style uses 'university' as a common noun. What might be tripping you up is the capitalization, like you see KDR using. In German they capitalize common nouns, which in US English is reserved for proper nouns.

Uh, what was this thread about, again...? confused.gif

/jzero
  • Soul_Reaper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Soul_Reaper polycounter lvl 18
    It's because 'the' is a determiner.
    It is only needed when you want to be specific.
    When talking about your past experience at university, you don't really need to be specific about any particular university as you're just referring to the university experience.

In any event, it's best not to dwell too hard on the inconsitencies in our language. It's a fucking mess.
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    The is only used if both sides know the specific thing.
    Like:
    1) I ate an apple.
    2) I ate the apple.

1st case it was just some random apple 2nd case it was an apple that both sides knew about.

Atleast thats what my limited knowledge of english tells me.
  • _Shimmer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    _Shimmer polycounter lvl 18
    Hmm As far as I know this is an issue like

"when I went to school" vs "When I wenht to the school"

as Is

"I play the guitar" cs. "I play guitar"

I avoid the "the" infront of educational instituations always. I always thought my teacher said to never use it...
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    the same reason people say "I pray to GOD" and not "I pray to the christian god"

when speaking of a specific in your life, its common to give it elevated importance. So the university is made University, because it is the one you attended.

thats my take on it. we welcome yours.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Oh Eric! Not another 'they speak teh funny!' thread! Now I'm gonna have to join in!

"When I was at University" sounds perfectly natural to me. That's because I'm English, and that's as jzero says the correct vernacular in the originial English.

Ya know what always bugged me? "Write me" as opposed to the infinitely more proper sounding "Write to me"
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmmm.

"suck me" vs. "suck to me?"

I dunno man.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    "talk me" vs. "talk to me"

is closer
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Hmmm.

I dunno man.

[/ QUOTE ]

The sucking is performed ON you not TO you thus "suck me" is correct opposed to "write me" where the writing is done TO you and not OF you.
    For example "paint me" would be a request to the painter to use you as a subject matter on hes/her painting.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    What sectaurs says is correct, "talk me" is closer to "write me" ... you write TO someone, as you talk TO someone - it's a communication method.

"At university" sounds fine to me, as was mentioned earlier, it's pretty analagous to saying "I was at college" ... you wouldn't say "at the college" or "at the university" unless you were talking about a specific building or location which the other person knew about.
  • Sean McBride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sean McBride polycounter lvl 18
    hehehe interesting. wink.gif its the same as hospital too. Americans say

"I went to the hospital" not "I went to hospital"
    "I am going on a vacation" not "I am going on holiday"

Just a funny little quirk that ended up being different as we drifted farther away from england. ;D
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I would say "went to the hospital" and "went to hospital" would be used in separate contexts, they *could* be interchangeable but tend not to be.

If you "went to the hospital", it's more likely you're talking to someone you know, who knows the place you went, so they can make the association as to which hospital "that" hospital is.
    If you "went to hospital", it'd be a more general thing you'd use when it wasn't really important if they knew where it was or not, like if you were making an excuse for not showing up at a job interview - you'd say "Sorry, I couldn't make it, I had to go to hospital for whatever reason"...

I dunno, that's how it seems to me, anyway.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Somehow, it sounds OK to say "I am going on vacation" but sounds awkward to say "I had to go to hospital." It's always "the hospital" for some reason.

Weird.

And maybe someone can clue an old codger in... what's "teh" from? 733t speak?
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "teh" is common misspelling of "the" :P
    (there is small possibility that im wrong, as usual)

edit: lets turn it into "the spinning university" thread!! laugh.gif
  • Sean McBride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    not really... leet speek teh would be t3h.
    teh is just something that people commonly mistyped and its used to be funny now I guess? hehe

"omg teh lollerskates"
  • Soul_Reaper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Soul_Reaper polycounter lvl 18
    "I had to go to hospital" sounds perfectly ok to me as a native English speaker.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    It's from JeffK, a spoof of leetspeak on Something Awful.
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    I think all words shud be speld foneticaly. Words shud hav only won meaning, and it shud be a literal meaning. Figurtiv langwij is for com-u-nists.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Personally I like Italian, pretty straightforward language. Mostly phonetic. And quite fun to speak actually.

I was raised in California, so I'm sure that had an impact on my English (besides the surfer dude 'tude).
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    i suppose you could break it down as simply as this :

"The Hospital" and "The University" are built of bricks, they're those great big buildings over there swilling with sick people and loudmouth tossers respectively.

whereas ...

"Hospital" and "University" are generalities that everyone understands, but you don't necessarily need a physical frame of reference to comprehend.

two phonecalls :

"I'm in Hospital"
    "Oh dear. Which one?"

or

"I'm in The Hospital"
    "Well gimme a call when you're discharged, i'll come pick you up"
    "You mean you'll come AND pick me up"
    "Oh fuck off"
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Ah, Dan, you just reminded me of the other thing I was going to cover in my previous post, but couldn't remember at the time...

"Come get some dinner" or "go do that then" are quite blatantly missing an "and" in between the first two words. You can't "come get", but you can "come and get"... they're separate actions!
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    yes, though if they had Duke Nukem saying "Come and get some" they may as well have had him calling "chase me, chase me" before scampering off with his finger in his bottom lip, looking all coy
  • Sean McBride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haha wow, true mop. good observation. We do say that :X
  • DavidCoen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCoen polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Hmmm.