Home General Discussion

So, whos getting a Xbox 360?

Taimaishu
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Taimaishu polycounter lvl 18
I don't know how many times this has been asked here at polycount, so sorry if this is the 5th thread blush.gif

Anyways I've got mine on preorder and I'm pretty pumped about it. Can't wait to open up Oblivion and PGR3. Still undecided about other titles I will pickup, lots of great titles coming at launch.

The Xbox 05 showcasing event is starting on Oct. 3rd so I'm sure we will get some nice, high-res videos of what to expect at launch.

So, who else is hyped? smile.gif

Replies

• sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    I got pissed how they jewed everyone out of a hard drive, so I'll be waitin till the price drops so that I can get the non-idiot version for around $300 smile.gif.
  • Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    Maybe next year, maybe never.
    I've yet to get the original Xbox depsite some of the games I want to play on it.

It just comes down that all next gen consoles are too expensive at the moment. I rather spend money on my PC and play Elder Scrolls on that smile.gif
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    I have one right now sitting on my desk.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    I'll pick one up, maybe not until next year as there are many games coming out (and already out) for systems I already own that I need to play. This should work out for possible price drop, and improved line-up by that time. I expect them to really start swinging for the fences right before PS3's release. This should be great for consumers and gamers alike. I'm looking forward to Oblivion and Kameo. Condemned, Alan Wake, and Dead Rising also look neat.
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    sometime next year and probably a nintendo revolution (especially if they have a retro nes paint job available)
  • Weiser_Cain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Weiser_Cain polycounter lvl 18
    Not me, I have a computer. I will be getting a nintendo box and I'll probably get an ps3 as well since I've never personaly owned an earlier version of the playstation.
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 19
    i'll be getting all of the next gen consoles smile.gif
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Depends on the games and prices. If they really demand more than 60€ they can fuck right off.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    We got these at work the day I went on my sabbatical have not been back yet, the controller is awesome it has the correct amount of buttons and no more giant hands are needed to hold it. I've totally bought into the propaghanda and have been watching on the videos on gametrailers.com, but I think I will wait until we finish our game until I decide if I can't wait for ps3.
  • nitzmoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nitzmoff polycounter lvl 18
    Software sells the systems. Outside of that, the only one I'm excited about is Nintendo's.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Gotta catch em all.

The 360 controller is superb, just like Malcom said. It's one of the nicest controllers I've ever used.
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    No.
    There is only 1 game on original XBox that i would want to play and its Ninja Gaiden.
    So my personal hype meter is about as on the ground as it can be for 360 lineup.
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    Consoles are boring tongue.gif
  • Frank
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frank polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I have one right now sitting on my desk.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I've got five.

Frank the Avenger
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Consoles are boring

GUI Fanboy!
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Not me, I have a computer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why the fuck do people always say that? All consoles are modified computers. It's so ignorant and ridiculous to knock on a console because it's specs are similar to a PC.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The pre-orders for the second shipment of 360's closed yesterday. Amazingly my name is not on any pre-order lists. The only launch title for the 360 that caught my attention was CoD2, which I will be playing on my PC. As a personal rule since the N64 I wait until the console has 5-6 titles I am burning to play before I plop down the coin.

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Not me, I have a computer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why the fuck do people always say that? All consoles are modified computers. It's so ignorant and ridiculous to knock on a console because it's specs are similar to a PC.

[/ QUOTE ]

My computer has outlived the PlayStation and the Xbox thanks to upgrades. My PC continues to play games at higher res and better detail than the current gen of consoles. I suspect it won't belong before it can out preform the next gen of consoles. When I buy parts for my PC it extends its life, when I buy a console it's a closed piece of hardware that can't even be repaired let alone upgraded.
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's mainly the controllers, and the many other uses a PC has. Just because it has a similar CPU doesn't mean it can be compared in any way.
    Camcorders and DVD players for example often have the same or very close to the same internals, yet they are very different tongue.gif
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    At first not really but after getting a good demonstration of all the cool features its going to have im leaning towards yes.
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    I just got a PS2 last month and just got an Xbox about a year ago, so I'll probably wait until the next generation of consoles is ready to ship before I buy a 360 tongue.gif
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    I'll probably be getting a 360 and Revolution.
  • KMan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KMan polycounter lvl 18
    I probably still don't give a damn.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

I've got five.

Frank the Avenger

[/ QUOTE ]

give me one!

I'll be doing my damnedest to scratch up enough for one.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Im likely going to get all 3, but I'll wait for a bit post-launch. Only a couple launch titles Im really interested for 360 at the moment anyway.
  • milla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    milla polycounter lvl 18
    We always get at least one of everything, but not at launch.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    intrigued, but broke. tongue.gif
    and the whole 'hdd can be part of it, or extra' still strikes me as dumb...
  • Weiser_Cain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    'Cause the first Xbox was just a fucking computer, striped down and put in a shoebox with giant friggin controlers instead of a keyboard. I had more power than an xbox under my desk running on a shoestring budget when it came out and I suspect I will be well beyond this box in no time as well without spending a bunch of money on hardware that'll be useless in two to five years. Running games that play better on the PC anyway.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    My computer has outlived the PlayStation and the Xbox thanks to upgrades. My PC continues to play games at higher res and better detail than the current gen of consoles. I suspect it won't belong before it can out preform the next gen of consoles. When I buy parts for my PC it extends its life, when I buy a console it's a closed piece of hardware that can't even be repaired let alone upgraded.

[/ QUOTE ]

The constant evolution is what keeps me from being serious about playing games on my pc. If you want to play games at the highest detail, then you'll be putting down money towards a video card very often. At least more often than you buy a console.

Since 2001 (Xbox debut), I've bought a whole new computer, several hdd's and at least 3 video cards. The video cards alone cost more total that the xbox. With a console, I don't have to worry about compatibility with my hardware. I just put the game in and play it.

It's a give and take situation. Sure, the consoles aren't as pretty, but I can sit on my couch and play on my widescreen instead of being 'anti-social' and huddled away at my desk playing on my comp.

That and I get sick and tired of computer screens. Work is more than enough to motivate me to do other things besides sitting in front of a computer monitor when I'm at home.

Only the individual can decide which is more worth it. As for me, I have my retail 360 reserved. I reserved the wireless one. I have plans on playing outdoors during cookouts, projecting the games on a tarp on the side of the house. That will be fun.
  • Soul_Reaper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Soul_Reaper polycounter lvl 18
    Already laid down the deposit on mine!

Although of the next gen, this will be the only one I buy at launch.

I plan to get all three at some point, there's sure to be plenty of great games across all three.

I consider myself a gamer, I'm not going to deprive myself of gaming experiences just because of the platform it's on.
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    weiser, his point -was- that ALL consoles are just a stripped down computer. And I have to say, consoles do give a lot that computers cant....games that arent a FPS, RTS, or MMO!

There's good reasons you shouldnt look at a console or xbox as a 'stripped down PC'

heres a few of the things i can do on my whimpy console that my pc cant run :P

Guilty Gear X2
    Fuzion Frenzy
    Forza
    Phantom Dust
    Soul Caliber II
    PGR2
    Viewtiful Joe
    Mario Party
    Super Monkeyball

I think the point you're missing is that even though a console is just a 'stripped down PC' people dont buy it for the power they buy em for the software and ease of use, so the 360 still has a viable place as a game machine, even if you have a PC.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sometimes you have to wonder if you'd find Weiser's picture in a dictionary next to "ignorance".
  • drakino
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    drakino polycounter lvl 18
    I'm waiting until I actually play games on it that can justify the $400+ price of entry. Same for the PS3 and Revolution. I buy a console when it has enough games I like out on it and I feel I will have time to actually devote to playing them. Right now, an additional console and games would simply delay me playing games I have sitting around in plastic.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    im gettin one!
  • Weiser_Cain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I hate you too kdr. I tried to look up "lousy german cock sucker" at my local library and got kicked out, thanks.
    I'd buy all my games on the PC if I could. Consoles made sense back when almost no one had a PC but these days with all the PC's floating around it doesn't make any sense to by a box with redundant and or lesser capabilities than your desktop. The xbox is just the worst of the lot since it's 'big' games(as far as I've kept track) are PC games. Halo? I'll stick with UT and wait for the PC version if it's still worth playing.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I'll own them all eventually, my favorite thing about console games is that they crash less :P
    I still have the freaking stuttering issue with source engine games on my system, it bugs the hell out of me!
  • Weiser_Cain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well I crashed the La Rush demo on a ps2 but to be fair that game's crap on any hardware...
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    I heard that XP will lock up on launch day till you put in your 360 serial number.

I loved the first Perfect Dark. So I really hope this one shapes up well. I hope they release some classic maps for it later.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    like AZ i'm a latecomer to the current generation, which has been cheaper and allowed me to enjoy a well-developed crop of games. i'll be digesting current PS2, X-Box, and Gamecube titles for a while yet before I touch anything next-gen.
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    Preordered it through Epic, MS offered some advance machines to the company, I decided to go for it and be right there on the cusp of this next iteration of console releases because I haven't pushed to be at the start of a 'next gen' series since PSX1.

Feels good, I'm really excited about the new consoles.
    I work with what is considered genuinely next gen tech so I'm really looking forward to what other quality companies create with this level of tech, I think theres good times coming.

r.
  • Dukester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dukester polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    like AZ i'm a latecomer to the current generation, which has been cheaper and allowed me to enjoy a well-developed crop of games. i'll be digesting current PS2, X-Box, and Gamecube titles for a while yet before I touch anything next-gen.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's because AZ is an old man and you while young have the intelligence and aura of an old man. wink.gif

I will eventually succumb to this console thing, but my experience with them so far has been that many moons ago I bought a 3D0 just so I could play the first version of The Need For Speed.

Wow, the 3D0 was a lot of fun....
  • CMB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CMB polycounter lvl 18
    A couple of my friends are getting it so i'll be going there and playing the 360.
    MS surprised me with the Xbox I hope the 360 will do the same.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Wow, the 3D0 was a lot of fun....

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm actually buying one again.

I just picked up Star Control 2 in near mint condition, and Return Fire in mint condition.

I loved those games.
  • Dukester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dukester polycounter lvl 18
    I still have mine
    I need to look and see just what games I have for it
    if I remember tomorrow I'll post then smile.gif
  • Weiser_Cain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Turbo grafix 16 broke my heart. Never again.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    I still have mine
    I need to look and see just what games I have for it
    if I remember tomorrow I'll post then smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Let me know what you got, I'll buy it off you if you don't want it anymore. smile.gif
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    ahahaha Duke, i'll take that as a compliment smile.gif

weiser: my condolences!
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Pre-orders are already filled here in Reno. So I'll be out there at Best Buy @ 6am, waiting for them to open smile.gif
    For the original Xbox, I was out there as well, #2 in line smile.gif
  • Frank
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frank polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

I've got five.

Frank the Avenger

[/ QUOTE ]

give me one!

I'll be doing my damnedest to scratch up enough for one.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I need them! I'm getting more, too. smile.gif

Frank the Avenger
  • Deimos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deimos polycounter lvl 18
    I've already slapped down the full cost of the thing...I love my xbox, but the lens in the dvd drive is dying, and since the 360 will be (mostly) backwards compatable, I figured I might as well get that to replace my black box, and get the added benefits of the sweet new controller and being first in line for the next gen smile.gif Now if only they'd announce the on-the-day launch titles for here in the UK, and then I can pick which game(s) to get on launch day...