Home General Discussion

A History of Violence

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
nitzmoff polycounter lvl 18
I know most folks are seeing Serenity this weekend, but don't miss A history of Violence. A very gripping, intense movie with some truly great acting.

Replies

• gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    i just got back from serenity a few minutes ago but i've had my eye on a history of violence. viggo is a soulful actor, i'm glad that due to LOTR his work is now higher profile than it used to be... thanks for the reminder. smile.gif
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    VIGGO IS HOT!!!

must see poly144.gif
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Holy crap this movie was so good!

The characters were super believeable. The director actually let me do some thinking without force feeding me every scenario and outcome.

My one problem, and this wasn't really with the movie, but more with people.

*spoiler*

Why is it that people will behave the way the wife did? You find out one piece of information, and it somehow magically invalidates every other thing you've experienced with the person? She was his wife, living with him everyday for what seemed like 17-20 years (depending on the age of the son and how long they were married before he was born). I can understand taking the news hard, but just outright rejecting him because of that? Sorry people doing that just piss me off. It's like a one strike and your out system.
  • nitzmoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Answering poop... *spoilers*

I think finding out that her husband has been lying about his entire life for 20 years and was a mob killing machine is reason enough for her to leave with the kids the very next day. It's almost unbelieveable that she didn't.
  • FunkaDelicDass
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FunkaDelicDass polycounter lvl 18
    Oh yeah, this movie was hot, and was actually WAY better than the comic book. Unlike the comic, the movie took the time to give the characters an extra layer of depth, and it changed the setting to a more comtemporary time. So you ain't missing much if you haven't read the comic.

Ever go see a movie and there are a bunch of chatty assclowns in the audience ruining the experience? But then a crazy good scene comes up and everyone just shuts up and their eyes are completely glued to the screen? This movie had a few of those. I love watching well made movies.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    This was a great movie. I love it when the director just let's the actors work. Definately one of the best movies I've seen lately.

*spoiler*
    The violence was almost too instense. I had to check my stub on the way out to check if it was NC-17. I hope they package a behind the scenes on the dvd, cause I'd love to see how they worked all that.
  • nitzmoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Funka, any chance you caught the 11:30 at San mateo today? If not, the chatty assclown decided to go to two theatres today.

But yeah, same reactions. Great movie scenes are a universal language for 'Shut up and watch me.'
  • FunkaDelicDass
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FunkaDelicDass polycounter lvl 18
    nitzmoff - nah I went a 2:00pm matinee in the east bay (Pleasant Hill) on Friday (not working right now). There were a bunch of old people on the audience. I guess the retired have nothing better to do than see movies before the kids get out of school, but they were still just as noisy as a theater full of teenagers. That's the classy east bay for you...
  • Mishra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mishra polycounter lvl 18
    i saw it last night, i loved it. terrific acting, and it had great action, but was gory and yet hilarious. actually, to be honest, i have never laughed so hard at a movie.

: /
  • SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    NO FUCKING WAY!!!!!

I just got back from seeing this movie and my co worker, myself and everyone else in the theatre thought it was utter crap.

I think you've done something wrong when you've managed to make the entire theatre laugh during a serious movie.

In all honesty, a lot of what happened in the movie felt like filler material between key plot moments. I was sitting in my seat, waiting for some major explanation about what the hell was going on. And I never got it. Before I knew it the movie was over and was thoroughly dissapointed.

I did see boobies, though. Hot, small boobies. But not $10s worth, I'm afraid. Maybe $3.

*spoilers*
    Everyone was just laughing when they were fucking in the stairs... then his wife walks infront of him naked. Er...
    The best bit was at the end when he kills those guys. No one took it seriously... I sure as hell didn't. At the end when he sits down and just stares at across the table... I was waiting for something to happen. Something. ANYTHING. And the screen goes blank and the movie ends. Then comes the cracking of jokes at how awful the movie was.
  • JonMurphy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JonMurphy polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I was sitting in my seat, waiting for some major explanation about what the hell was going on. And I never got it. Before I knew it the movie was over and was thoroughly dissapointed.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Waiting for a major explaination? In a Cronenberg film!? crazy.gif

"Long live the new flesh!"

From what I have read, I'm interested in the film, although I will probably wait until I can enjoy it at home on DVD, without people giggling.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saw it last night, freakin amazing movie. It moved into my all time top 10 fav.

[ QUOTE ]

I was sitting in my seat, waiting for some major explanation about what the hell was going on. And I never got it. Before I knew it the movie was over and was thoroughly dissapointed.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going to say something totally mean, don't take it the wrong way. The next time you want someone to spoon feed you the plot go to netflix and que up some of thier kiddie flix. I loved how the plot wasn't handed to the audiance in the first scene, then shoveled in our faces for the rest of the movie, like most movies are.