Home General Discussion

Live dogs and cats used as shark bait??? WTF

kleinluka
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
kleinluka polycounter lvl 18
WHAT IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE????

I just saw this horrifying news article about fishermen near the french island R

Replies

• Makk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makk polycounter lvl 18
    Signed.

That is fucking distgusting what that "person" is doing.
  • Sett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sett polycounter lvl 18
    What if they used pigs? Does non-cute=bad, cute=good?

After looking at that picture I got a feeling that this is a hoax.
  • Sean McBride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sean McBride polycounter lvl 18
    Erm, yeah sett has a point. In the picture if a dog was hooked to a boat going any speed at all like that it would just rip the lip. I wouldnt think a dog or cat would be so stupid as to not try to fight back after being dropped into the water.

Never the less, i'll sign it just in case. =p It's a sick joke if its fake. I don't want to think its real. >.> Then again... the page is real...
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    pretty disgusting.

However, is there also some petition I can sign to prevent worms from having the same fate. I once heard that people dig them out of their natural habitat in the ground and skewer them with hooks, waiting until a fish eats them.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    ^^^ auhh yes.. the slippery slope has begun.

Weeee!
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    hehe, dont mind me. I really dont give a shit about worms, and i really do love dogs and cats.

I just like screwing with people.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    it's no fake, apparently this is the new big pet cause of Bridgette Bardot.
  • sledgy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sledgy polycounter lvl 18
    Signed.
    A fishing boat "trawls" meaning it's not going very fast so the hook wouldn't rip out until a shark swallows the animal, then jerks the line where hook would most likely rip out and catch in the shark's throat. And good point. If it were pigs I doubt there would be such an uproar.

I prefer powerbait and spinners.
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    i agree with sett about the cute thing, but as far as this being legit, it looks pretty real to me..

the real tricky thing is that i dont want to be a tree hugger and sign something that i dont udnerstand. i dont know the legal/social/monitary ramifications or reasons for them doing what they're doing, and i think a lot of people, in north america especialy, are quick to shoot off their mouthes, because it's easy to do so from where we're standing.

dont get me wrong, i think this is pretty fucked, and i'm like 1.2 secconds from signing, but it would be nice to know a little bit more information. is this nessisary? why the fuck would they do it? just because it's easier to catch sharks? in that case, i'd sign and write a letter.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Pigs and other livestock are probably too large and heavy, not to mention expensive.
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    Why don't the fishermen just hook up their children? They're free and easy to catch.
  • Irritant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Irritant polycounter lvl 18
    Signed.

I don't think it's cool to use pigs or other livestock as shark bait either.

I don't know where to draw the line though. I mean, I don't really have a problem with using other fish as shark bait.

I guess I draw the line at reptiles. Or at least anything domesticated.
  • Paul Jaquays
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul Jaquays polycounter lvl 18
    I have to believe that photo is made up, even though the what is going on might be real. It's too "clean" ... but it makes the point. I don't think I could be on board for using any live animal as fish bait (OK maybe bugs and worms).
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Whats wrong with Chum? I mean, why do you need to use a live animal, when throwing blood & unedible fish-bits into the water?
    I hope this is a fake, and suspect it is, but still a disturbing thought.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    worms aren't cute. unless they're holding rocket launchers, and throwing holy hand grenades.
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    well that's the cutest stray i've ever seen
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Smells like a info gathering scam to me.

If its the real deal than that is really messed up. Some fishermen need to lose some knee caps and be dragged around by a nose ring, behind a bus on streets paved with salt.
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    I love animals as much as the next guy, but stray dogs and cats are a serious health problem in some places. Dogs aren't neary so cute when they are scarred and maimed from fighting other strays and have a skin disease.

Not that I think the dogs should be tortured by being kept alive while being used as bait, but the fact is some people make a living killing the animals I eat so I don't have to. For these people, killing animals is no big deal.
  • Sett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sett polycounter lvl 18
    The dog is not bleeding.

The dog is wearing a collar.

The dog does not appear to be in any distress.

Chum would be cheaper/easer.

Plays into the stereotype of- third world/pan-asian counties think less of 'pets'.

The handler of the dog is white(or look white to me) and is wearing a western style med shirt (scrubs).

Cats are better than dogs.
  • Erol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Erol polycounter lvl 18
    I've got some swampland down in Florida if anyone is interested. Real cheap.
  • Moz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moz polycounter lvl 18
    This is a disgrace, imagine how much diesel is being wasted here.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not sure about sharks but some seaborne predators react to the infrared light emitted by a wounded animal, obviously a cold, dead body won't work for those. Also, death might change the smell of the blood, which also attracts the sharks. Plus I think they won't attack something that doesn't move.

Using children won't work, humans taste so bad sharks spit 'em out after taking a bite.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    why don't they write the article in french? some people
  • Faucet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Faucet polycounter lvl 18
    I'm with Sett... What's the difference between what they're doing and any other torture people pay for animals to go through?

If you really care for animals you'll stop paying for factory farming, trawl fishing and drift nets, puppy farming, animal testing, fur and leather, etc.
  • sally
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sally polycounter lvl 17
    I first read about this at "The Sea Shepherd Conservation Society" homepage this morning. I also contacted some people I know from IDA and was informed it is true and illegal. Any person, and I say that lightly, that could do such a thing to a living creature has no conscious or campassion for life. It makes me sick. For those who think it is not true, what would it hurt to sign the petition just in case there was an ounce of truth?
  • Dukester
  • frosty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frosty polycounter lvl 18
    I recall lots of dogs n cats, strays got eaten up when Vietminese moved in our area in 1980's
  • Conor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Conor polycounter lvl 18
    I'll assume this is a fake article - but pretending it's true, the sad part isn't the cruelty to mammals, it's the killing of endangered fish. Most sharks are endangered, some are near extinction. Losing a few cats or dogs makes no difference to the planet, whereas losing an entire species of sharks is a criminal loss.

Why does anyone care about pain to cats and dogs but not about pain to fish? A fish feels just as much pain when a hook goes through its mouth as a mammal does. I've heard lots of excuses from cold-blooded animals not feeling pain to fish not having nerves in their mouths.
  • jackson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jackson polycounter lvl 18
    thats really freaking sick if its real, but i agree with the previous poster about having to feed a family. circumstances matter alot.
  • SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    I use live 10 year olds to catch cars.
    If it works, it works!
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    When I try that the fishing line rips. Maybe I need to use 12 year olds.