Home General Discussion

Anyone considering buying a GP2X?

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
I recently downgraded my PSP from version 2.0 to 1.5 so I could run homebrewed apps and a friend mentioned the GP2X, a linux based handheld that sounds pretty groovy.

I might just sell my PSP for this since I'm pretty dissappointed with the PSP and it's selections of games.

Replies

• CheapAlert
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    I have one already preordered, should arrive in a few weeks wink.gif

But we had this topic already two weeks back:
    http://boards.polycount.net/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=69946&an=0&page=2#69946

Edit: too slow mad.gif
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    darn, I did a search for it and got no hits frown.gif
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I guess I will do a nice review of it here once I got the unit, to show off its l337ness crazy.gif
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    yes cause we all know linux has been the platform of choice for the best games ever made!
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Rhinokey: Yeah, because all the other portable game machines have their SDKs available to amateurs and don't require some obscure hardware or exploits in order to run your code, right?
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    yes cause we all know linux has been the platform of choice for the best games ever made!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes Quake1, Quake2, Quake3 etc tongue.gif

Ok just kidding (but not really since I use Linux almost exclusivly on my home PC and almost all games I like run pretty fine on it), but Linux really is the best choice for this.
    Another OS like WinCE for example would only drive the price up, and not bring any advances (only disadvantages due to is close source).
    All media capabilities are as good with Linux, and emulators are even better than under windows.
    Complete games would have to be ported anyways, and since this is mostly a 2D handheld (it does run Quake1 already though) problems with Direct3d while porting do not really occur.
    And as this is based on a ARM CPU all code needs to be recompiled anyways, so there is really no single gain from using a windows based OS.

Linux on the otherhand makes it much easier to really squeeze the last bit of power out of the machine, since all the 'internals' of the OS are open to a skilled programmer.
  • Raven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Raven polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Yes Quake1, Quake2, Quake3 etc

[/ QUOTE ]

Serious question, has anyone got Doom 3 running in Linux.
    I can't get it running in SuSE 9.3 (Kernel 2.6.4) Forceware 76.76. Tried upgrading everything, nothing works.

It just crashes during loading. Sent e-mails to id's Linux tech support with no response in over 2months. Can't find anyone else who has it running on Linux either.

I've seen a few games on this. There's a few that look impressive; but not that far a cry from the GameBoy Advance really. It also looks like an uncomfortable unit.
    I'm not exactly happen with the design of the PSP either though tbh. Cause either you grip it and feel cramped up; or you hold it like the GBA and watch it fall out of your hands every few minutes.
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm I played both the normal and the expansionpack till the end on Linux. No problems with Doom3 at all.
    Try looking in one of the many Linuxmessageboards (exspecially those specific for Suse) for help.
    What soundcard do you have? I think there are problems with non Creative soundcards that cause it to crash during startup.

Concerning the GP2X, I wonder what games you might have seen, since the only screenshot from any game that was released so far was a shot of Quake1 running. Are you sure we are talking about the same machine? Comparing it to the GBA is almost like comparing a Pentium4 to a 486. Afterall it will probably be able to emulate the GBA.

I don't know if it will be comfortable though, but from what I have seem it doesn't look any worse than other handhelds and I kinda like that square look.