Home General Discussion

pupeteers may still have jobs in the VFX industry

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
pretty cool tech from the jim henson company.. i wonder how much this would differ from mocap.. and how the subtle art of pupeteering will translate to digital models.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr/film/feature_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1001139388

Replies

• Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    i saw someh=thing about this on tv a while back, looked great, i imagine it to be better than mo cap.. mocap always seems so stale to me, no real life in it
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    ... Brian Froud, the conceptual designer who created the original worlds of "Labyrinth" and "Dark Crystal" and will do the same for the upcoming sequel "The Power of the Dark Crystal."

[/ QUOTE ]
    i didn't know they were making a sequel, that sounds very awesome! i love froud's works.
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    They had this system at a GDC a few years ago, and I gave it a try. Man it was hard, sort of the same way that prestidigitation (Finger based magic tricks) are. I've done puppet work in school and for church charities , but this rig is something like playing a flute or sax. A lot of valves and a lot of practice....

I suppose it's one better than the Digital Input Devices (DIDs)that they made for Jurrassic parts, where they retrained stop motion animators to use the DIDs to get dinosaur performances.

Scott
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool article arshlevon, thanks.

I visited Tippett's studio when they were using DIDs for the Tremors movie, it was an interesting setup. Reminded me of the Monkey biped thingy you could buy for animating in Alias.

I'd love to see more Froud in action.