Home General Discussion

Flat screen monitor recommendations?

Daz
Daz
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Daz polycounter lvl 18
I desperately need more screen real estate at home to finish my reel.

I've decided that I think I'd prefer one big widescreen flatscreen than a clumsy dual CRT setup.

Anyone got any leads? Are flatscreens good enough for colour yet? I was thinking I'd try and get something this weekend but really don't know much about them or the various different technologies behind them so any thoughts appreciated. I'll spend what I have to to get quality ( within reason ).

thanks.

Replies

• doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
    one issue with widescreen lcds is that, since they are lcd's they have a native resolution, and since they are widescreen that is usually a non-standard resolution. I've got a dell 2001fp (1600x1200, standard aspect ratio) which is about $500 these days and the color and response time are great. The widescreens that are larger in screen space and resolution are usually much more expensive - although I'm sure they're great - you still have a the non-standard native res issue which does impact gaming.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    The two best large options:

The dell 24" LCD (I've heard it's gorgeous, even for color)
    The apple Studio display 30" (you need a quadro 340 as minimum to drive it. The dual ramdac's have to be linkable to drive the resolution)
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    I've read HP has a 23" model thats really good as well, and even Macworld rated it higher than the cinema display.
    I've got the new Del 24" 16:10 flat panel. It's pretty good for color, not quite as good however as the apple cinema displays, but very very close. Neither are as good as a good, calibrated CRT however. The tech just isn't there yet. Also, like Plasma's LCD's suffer from non-quite blacks. So everything will be quite a bit brighter than you might like.

I got mine for just barely over $800 shipping included.

Poop! You worked on my Dell 24" here, remember?
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    i have a pair of these...
    dell 20.1
    the ability to essentially hook up four individual things (like two comps and two consoles) to each monitor is nice, and the adjustable / scalable Picture in Picture option is pretty awesome too.
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    i heard this company is totally fake.. nothing they have on their site actaully exists.. but this still gives me boners..

http://www.go-l.com/monitors/athens/features/index.htm
  • Bradfordart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bradfordart polycounter lvl 18
    Color wise make sure you choose an LCD display with an 8-bit, 16.7 million color display. 6-bit color displays show a considerable less amount of colors. I just ordered a Dell after a lot of research. This is a good article. http://www.anandtech.com/displays/showdoc.aspx?i=2400
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    i've got an apple 23" cinema display, and when i built my brother's system we got him a Dell 24". i've spent time on both, and I would heartily recommend either unit--Dell's is cheaper, but since it hit the market it's really brought down the price of the apple unit too; it really comes down to personal preference. how it stacked up for me:

apple: better form factor, but fewer options (no video in, basic controls on the monitor itself). USB2 and Firewire ports on the back of the display. a very eye-catching unit, i've been very happy with mine. good color and brightness.

Dell: if apple's display is a lithe european sportscar, Dell's unit feels like an american musclecar. what it doesn't have in finesse it makes up for in brute strength. the looks are pretty chunky, but it's a 24" display with an assload of inputs, sporting picture-in-picture... and though it's rather a novelty, if you have use for a monitor that can turn on its side to display its width vertically, then this is for you. it's also bright. extremely bright. you'll probably need to take some time to dial it down and in, it is an extremely bright display.

so there you go. highly recommend trying both out, of course. i couldn't tell you about the 30" apple, but i hear it is quite a beast. good luck with making the pick.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Can't you connect both the new LCD and the CRT to your PC and throw stuff at the CRT to check the colours?
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    HP widescreens. get two
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    KDR_11k: That's what I did. Yeah, if you're used to CRT's and have what you believe to be a great brightness/contrast/colour ratio setup, then keep the CRT around for a little while, just so you can calibrate the flat-panel to be as close as possible to it.
    I plugged mine into the VGA port even though it could be DVI, because that meant I could alter the individual colour temperature from the monitor's OSD, rather than from graphics drivers settings in Windows, which I found rather fiddly (and which I believe DVI connections force you to do?).
    I went the dual-flat-panel monitor route, and it works great. Don't have to worry about weird widescreen aspect ratios b0rking up games or anything... still, a big-ass widescreen display always looks impressive. I always imagined an Apple display next to a PC box and peripherals would look kinda incongruous tongue.gif
  • StrangeFate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StrangeFate polycounter lvl 18
    I'd get an apple widescreen CRT, i bought 2, one for home, one for work, they rock.

The 'impact' on games is awesome too. MOst games don't have the res your screen supports it would seem, but as soon as you plug the monitor in, 99% of the games will let you use that res. You get more space in games then giving you a lot more to see to the left and right... they're like awesome, or something, for games tongue.gif
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Apple widescreen CRT?!
  • StrangeFate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StrangeFate polycounter lvl 18
    LCD!
    sorry, was in a hurry to catch the bus.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Heh, it just reminded me of some of the early Doom3 interviews with John Carmack, he was sitting in front of his computer with a widescreen 20-something-inch CRT screen, I swear that monster was about 2 metres deep! It'd take 3 men to move it...
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Personally if price is not an road block I would go with a something from Apple. The native display res trumps most of of what the PC makers can put out and they are often bigger. they just require a DVI jack on your video card which most cards have now. They are used for video editing so I'm sure color correctness is/was an issue Apple had to deal with.

Most people have an alergic reaction when you mention hooking up EMO-Mac stuff to a PC, but really if I had the coin (and the need) I would do it. Just get a new clear case and put some blue lights in it =P

EDIT: just read the thread, and yeah... I agree...
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    I've got a Dell 2001FP and love it. If I had to buy another monitor I would get a Dell LCD. Just make sure the refresh rate is 16ms
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Heh, it just reminded me of some of the early Doom3 interviews with John Carmack, he was sitting in front of his computer with a widescreen 20-something-inch CRT screen, I swear that monster was about 2 metres deep! It'd take 3 men to move it...

[/ QUOTE ]

MoP,

I have one of these on my desk at work...
    24" Sony GDM FW-900
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Ye gods, Scoob, that's a monster! Over 40kg...
  • ironbearxl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ironbearxl polycounter lvl 18
    How about an lcd projector?
  • Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    Viewsonic is a decint buy, but I don't think they have much for widescreens.

I just finished ups my triple monitor setup (Two 19" samsung displays + the Viewsonic 17" VA712b LCD) and setting up the colours in between them is a pita! In the CRT's I can can see the details but the colours are washed out compared to the Viewsonic, but at the same time the viewsonic is too dark/contrasty to see details in dark images.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    thanks for all your suggestions guys. I actually went with the 24" Dell. Turns out we have a 20% corporate discount smile.gif
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz
    I think you'll be happy with it. I've so far really liked mine, even though, as I said, it is a bit overbright even when turned all the way down.
    Although, if you find a good solution for that, please share it with me!
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Nearly $1000 for a monitor is still a sorely out of my price range. Looks damn nice though. Dell doesn't list it's refresh though. Do you guys know what it is? I'd hope it's 12ms or faster.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    scoobydoofus: that sony 24 inch crt is what i had on the flame* i was toying with. don't you run into problems with wacoms on this one? for me, the intuos freaked out with a shaking cursor when i put it close to the screen.
    before that i had barely believed the stories about monitors that interfere with tablets.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thomasp: Yes, I do. Thankfully since the screen is so large, I can afford to scoot the tablet a bit far away from the screen to avoid interference.
    I had the same problem here at home as well with my 2 19" hitachi CRT's before upgrading to the Dell. LCD's produce little/no magnetic field.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    Daz: congratulations on your new child! laugh.gif
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    but daz unless u'r going for a plasma (you crazy bastard!) you do realize flat is not as good with color as crt?
    like if this is proffesional painting purposes involved - it is not teh good

just get a huge EIZO and you're set mate!
    whatever you get anyways you cant go wrong with these monitors.
    i snatched off one of their 22" for 400$ only off their refurbished (?) stuff. it handles color saturation more deeply than any other monitor i've seen, and runs at very high resolutions seamlessly at high refresh rate. its the best monitor i've ever seen. seriously.

those japanese scientists.. they'll take over the world one day, i tell ye!

EDIT:
    oh you already bought it!
    now i read your posts..

well nevermind then.
    but you still are a crazy bastard tongue.gif
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    Shotgun is right about color matching. Color on a tube monitor. But the flat screen should be good for animating. All that real estate and all.

Scott
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Hey sorry to dredge up an oldish topic here, but does anyone know much about resolutions and aspect ratio? The thing is,I have the Dell, I'm on the 1920x1200 res. and I'm just noticing that all my old models seem slightly wider than they were before in maya! Not hugely so I guess, but enough for me to notice it. I've done the old school test of drawing a circle in photoshop and measuring with a piece of paper, and it's perfectly equi-distant! Which is perfectly odd! Which makes me wonder If the aspect ratio of my crappy old monitor was out! Mebbe I'll have to go over all my models with a bloody lattice?! bahahah smile.gif Not that I appear to be able to change the aspect ratio of this monitor anyway. There is no vertical/horizontal size adjustment, nor brightness, and a lot of the menu is greyed out for some reason. Other than that Im pretty happy with it. Any info appreciated.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    It's quite possible that you were running your old CRT monitor in 1280x1024 rather than the native 4:3 aspect ration of 1280x960, Daz.
    If this was the case, then yes, your new screen has the correct aspect ratio (especially if circles are circles!).
    If this wasn't the case, then something weird is going on, or you're hallucinating smile.gif
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah I think you're right thanks Paul. Looks like I'm about to get busy with that lattice smile.gif
  • SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    prodshot_30_inch_3display.jpg
    30-inch Cinema HD display.
    There's a programmer at work that has one. My jaw dropped.
    Ecstacy in the form of a flatscreen.
  • sinistergfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sinistergfx polycounter lvl 18
    Hell yeah, it's beautiful; but $3k. $_$
  • motives
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motives polycounter lvl 18
    omg daz, resolution noob! wink.gif
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    All this talk about monitors got me realizing that a single monitor at home and duals at work doesn't, well, work. So I just got another Dell 2001FP. Loving is so far. Haven't really played games on the new one yet. Any easy way to match up colors on 2 monitors? I put all the values at the same and it's still off a bit.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeffro: You should try to do some driver tweaks if possible for each monitor. What I'd really recommend is that you get a color "puck", or calibrator to REALLY get your self together, but thats prohibivly expensive.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh, I think we might have a color "puck" at work. It looks like a giant hockey puck. That or we got some cray S&M toys at work. Either way, I'll give it a shot this weekend.
  • Frankie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frankie polycounter lvl 19
    We recently got some 24inch dell lcds and for a while I was sure my computer was slower with it but I coulden't work out why it would be untill I noticed that while moving my mouse, which is plugged into the side of the screen,