Home Technical Talk

Portfolio old thread, no more?:(

Bhrazz
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Bhrazz polycounter lvl 17
Hey guys, been a while since I came here and everything is kinda different.

I'm currently looking for this old thread ''Do and not do'' for the portfolio. I remember it was a nice thread and wondering if is possible to see it on a old archive or something.

thanks.

P.S. I think this thread was in 2d-3d so I posted here:P

Replies

• arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    i dont know.. but did you know your avatar is 2megs!! holy crap.. that is a do not.. i am sure.. and i think my site is also a good reference of what not to do in your portfolio.. so i have been told..
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, please change that avatar image as soon as possible.
    2mb for an 80x80 pixel image is just ridiculous, and I don't take kindly to them around here. Keep it below 50k if possible, less is preferred.
    I'll answer your question as soon as you sort that out, thanks.
  • Bhrazz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heh sorry about that, I didnt know my self it was that big=/
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    How a portfolio page should look:

your name
    contact information
    position seeking
    link to resume (optional download resume doc or pdf)
    8-10 pieces of your BEST work (optional download demo reel though some require it)

Be sure this section is focuses on the position you want. For example, want to be a 3d game character artist, they should all be 3d game characters, not environments, sketches, etc. If you have more art and you just have to post it, put it on a separate page with a link to that.

Only potential employers will be looking at this page (they are the only ones that matter that is). So keep it clean, professional and easy to read. They usually aren't concerned with how awesome a site is, just your portfolio content. If you past the "good enough portfolio" test, you'll be upgraded to phone and/or on site interview for your personality test.

Here's a classic employer joke of the bad portfolio layout:
    intro/splash page > news > portfolio > 3d > man with axe
    (note: if you site is like that, yes, we do laugh at you behind your back)

If you have all these pages, and make the employer search for your art, it's really annoying. Consider they get piles and piles of applicants. If you're hiding behind splash, news, portfolio, etc that's just one more chance for you to be skipped over and forgotten. I can tell you from experience, there is nothing better than clicking an emailed link to a portfolio that goes right to thumbnails on a page with an email address. THAT'S ALL WE NEED! smile.gif
  • Bhrazz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I enjoyed that part:D

[ QUOTE ]
    Here's a classic employer joke of the bad portfolio layout:
    intro/splash page > news > portfolio > 3d > man with axe
    (note: if you site is like that, yes, we do laugh at you behind your back)

[/ QUOTE ]
  • Weiser_Cain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Weiser_Cain polycounter lvl 18
    How about doing a portfolio page for a few different positions and submitting links directly to the relevant page with the thumbnails and the contact info at the top of each page? So you could have a general site but also have a several self-contained, organized portfolios?
    Also, how much material would you reccomend? say if you were to do a character portfolio, how many characters should be in it?
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Having multiple portfolios catered to specific positions is a good idea if you have a variety of skills.

It's also a good idea if a specific position opens that you want to adjust your portfolio and the wording of you resume specifically for that position.
  • Weiser_Cain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Weiser_Cain polycounter lvl 18
    I have to use words?!?
  • Bhrazz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As my self I am currently working as a 3d artist and I've been told today that I need to get 2 junior person. IMO like Cholden said is 100% what people need to see. BUT, in my case Id like to see very various thing because I need someone versatil. High-res modeling, Mid and low. Knowledge of Modeling/Texture of any kind, character, environment, props.

I suck with paper work and I have no idea how to select people. I've been working with many people and some of them were very talented, but low-skills in team. And vice-versa. Need to set-up priority. So this is how I will select:
    Talent
    Knowledge
    Personality
    Experience

I remember this old thread with a whole bunch of opinion and good info. That's why I asked, im a NOOB!. Dunno if Mop got this thread somewhere O_o

--EDIT--
    And yes, my english is not good as I would like, no need to mention^^
  • Eric Chadwick