Home General Discussion

gt5

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Fuse polycounter lvl 18
so yes the most beautiful game on the sony hardware is getting a whole new look for ps3 tech and it looks spectacular ..

the levels werent as good though , it could be due to the bad cam quality or just wip but the vehicles were awesome

http://www.ps3land.com/news/article167.php

Replies

• Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Looks pretty damn slick.
    I love the fact that there's going to be a shitload more cars on the road with you.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    I like how none of the cars are moving faster than 45 mph, so they don't give away the low framerate.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    What abotu extra features? The Gran Turismos series keeps comin out with shinier cars and more polygons, but rarley anything else (this ISN'T always a bad thing).

GT was hands down the best racer out there for years, but Forza has given it a series kicking. Forza isn't as good in some areas, better in others, but hopefully it will be seen as competition to get Polypohony to push themselves a little more.
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    I *think* GT5 may get very realistic crash model, they didnt put it into GT4 because the hardware couldnt handle it and they didnt want to use some half assed crashes.
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I *think* GT5 may get very realistic crash model, they didnt put it into GT4 because the hardware couldnt handle it and they didnt want to use some half assed crashes.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think it has much to do with the hardware, it's licensing issues that's the problem. Manufactures don't like their cars to get banged up on screen (not only visually, but also in terms of effecting performance), so it's usually difficult to get permission to do that. Now take into account that the GT games have an ungodly amount of cars from a dozen or so different manufactures. That'd be a nightmare to get the proper licensing rights to show damage (and have them effected by damage) for all those cars. Hardware might also be a hindrance, I'm not saying you're wrong, but I think it's more than just a hardware problem.

And of course, all that being said, it is possible that they'll be able to do it in the new one, since they have more incentive now with the new competition.
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    Actually most manufacturers dont mind crashing* and also they start to see gameing as advertising platform**.
    I think there are smaller car companies that give licences away for free and larger ones who actually pay to get some of their car in game.

*- apart from American manufacturers but there are not so many of their cars in the game anyways
    **- BMW had GT4 demo on their stand running with M5 prototype at some car show year or two ago
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Well, "not enough CPU" was the official reason. I think Forza implemented damage.

Either way, I prefer mayhem and destruction over licensed cars so if that was an obstacle, just drop the licenses.
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    what you guys need to keep in mind guys is that Gran Turismo is as much a car catalogue as it is a video game. The introduction of STI and EVO into the north american market is quite possibly solely on it's popularity from the GT games.

It would make sense for manufacturers to be wary of displaying their automobiles damaged.

It looks like a lot of things are placeholders at this point. While certain models look dense others do not, Some maps didnt look all that convincing but the HDR lighting looked very nice.

Polyphony claimed to make GT5 "100 times more detailed than GT4" so it might be a few years before we see it on the shelves, granted they have a lot of resources from GT4 research sessions that they can use but i'd imagine they'd need to revisit a lot of locations and private car owners to record more audio, video, dimentions and behaviours ...
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As stated at Lost Garden
    [ QUOTE ]

Genre life cycle is the concept that game genres go through distinct stages of market status as they mature:

* Introduction: A new and addictive set of game mechanics are created.
    * Growth: The game mechanics are experimented with and genre addiction begins to spread.
    * Maturity: The game mechanics are standardized and genre addiction forms a strong market force. Product differentiation occurs primarily through higher layer design elements like plot, license, etc.
    * Decline: The market consolidates around the winners of the king-of-the-genre battles that occurred during the Maturity phase. New games genres begin stealing away the customer base. With less financial reward, less games are released.
    * Niche: A population of hardcore genre addicts provides both the development resources and audience for the continued development of games in the genre. Quality decreases.

[/ QUOTE ]

Next stage is Nitch if its not already there then its "I don't give a rats rear about GT". Watch as the comments about this release become precise and very nit-pickie about very minor tweaks (or lack of) to franchise. All signs the genre king is overly defined and on its way out.
  • Raven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Raven polycounter lvl 18
    I didn't give a rats-ass about the past GT games.
    They're nice; but far too realistic in the handling and no damage.

While the graphics have always been truely awesome, the fact that it's far more about people who love to look at cars than have fun .. kinda made it too nitch
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    on that note here's to hoping they add some kind of damage, while i wont really mind if they dont
  • nealb4me
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nealb4me polycounter lvl 18
    GT2 was by far the best Polyphony game imo. It was an expansion and improvement on a great idea, that had never been done before up until then. I was really dissapointed by GT3 while GT4 is just meh. Not quite simple enough for people who like to crash their way around the track as above or enough of a simulation for people who are looking for something more in-depth. GT5 will just be more of the same with 10x the polycount. Well whoopy doo I'm excited. The game is perfectly engineered to fetch the highest sales. While there's nothing wrong with that from a business point of view, it stinks from the "I have played every iteration since it's incarnation and look forward to a new experience on the next gen console" point of view.

I will most likely end up playing it for 5mins and then go play Rfactor or something and try to pretend it has licensed Japanese cars with turbos. Marf...
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    Gah! I can't stand racing games. Except Burnout...
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    I prefer NICE, no rubberbanding and lots of guns.