Home General Discussion

Serious Sam 2 demo out

Replies

• cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Lots of fun in this demo. Tons of weapons, variety of monsters, a flying vehicle, and a fast loading game I thought. Cons being one very short level, and the gameplay/level design is almost directly taken from Ratchet & Clank, which isn't really a bad thing. Good stuff, I enjoyed it, though not totally sold on the full version. Also got a nice chuckle from the difficulty images.
  • frosty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frosty polycounter lvl 18
    f*cking sever full error msg - awe f*ck!
  • Bort
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bort polycounter lvl 18
    I enjoyed the demo. Shame they didn't make the game for pc then port/clean it up for the xbox. But thats the way things are. ;(
    Hopefully they will have enough time left to fix some of issues before they go gold.

I'm just really glad they made an engine that can scale well and still look good.
    /me huggles Croteam.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    that was just lame...
    where's the fun?
    felt like some half-assed sci-fi fps that was failing at tryin to be funny
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    man that was funny. lots of senseless fun too. i wasn't expecting too much, so I'm not disappointed. The environments look nice. the difficulty images were hilarious.
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    the difficulty images were hilarious.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I haven't seen ones like those since Wolf3d really (which also has the evil face and the baby face)
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    felt like some half-assed sci-fi fps that was failing at tryin to be funny

[/ QUOTE ]

Methinks you havent played SS before?

Still wish they could have kept it under $25... $30 is starting to get hard to swallow.
  • Sett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sett polycounter lvl 18
    $30 ? they first one was only 19.95, one of the first budget game I ever bought, and liked

This one barely ran on my comp. didn't realy impress much.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I smiled throughout the demo. However I did notice some level blocking problems. If your not allowed to fly your vehicle in a certain area, well then put some kind of visual representation like a forcefield or something.

Also, can anyone connect to MP games? Everyone I have tried thus far says it no longer is in session.
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i only really disliked the talking netrisca chick, i mean wtf this isn't halo, unless it's starting to parodize that

runs on my a950 fine sett, what kind of rig you have? Did you try auto-detection?
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    I would love to try this..but,i don't feel like taking up space on my hardrive.The first one was mediocre, at best, so says i.
  • Nilium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nilium polycounter lvl 18
    And it sucks...

Being a huge fan of the first, this is a really big let down for me.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Frosty: Use Bittorrent.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    oxy.. i played the hell outta ss1.. and even the demo for that made me grin from ear to ear... there was nothing about this demo that didn't feel tedious, boring, or fresh.. the parrot bombs were neat... but that's about it.. even if the original's enemies could be called generic in any way, they were still presented in an entertaining manner.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like having new enemies, especially ones that don't constantly try to engage me in melee. Now you actually have to take cover, unlike SS1 where you could just run around in the open and all shots would miss you.

The problem I see is that they kept the biggest problem with the first two games: Being locked into an area and having to fight waves and waves of enemies. I'd prefer if the waves were more varied and the rooms had fewer waves each so the environment doesn't get boring. It feels rather repetitive to gun down waves and waves of identical monsters, bring on the variety! The worst example is that piece of stairs in this demo where you're locked in until all enemies around you are dead (second "room").

I like the grenades, though. The rocket launcher could use a bit more power, though. The grenades and parrot do a LOT more damage.
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There was a game-stuck problem a couple times with the two locked doors also
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea, first time through I got stuck in that hall because I killed the monsters by looking down from the top area first. So when I got there, the doors were permalocked. Had to restart, that's kinda buggy.

My biggest greif was the short short level (spoiler). The level layout was this:
    G-O--
    G curve area > platforming section > O "vis" hall > open flight area, 10 minutes of game play. Still, they loaded up this area with a TON of stuff.

On a positive note, SS2 may end up allowing modders to do a high variety of gameplay with ease. Though it won't make much of an impact on what ut2k4 and hl2 alread has.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh tg I wasnt alone in that two door error. I was trying to explain it to Brome, and he just told me to kill all the enemies.. when I had.

ANyone played online yet?
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Perhaps there was an enemy stuck in some unaccessible place somewhere?

EDIT: BTW, this game sticks out as an example of responsible use of bloom.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oxy: I've had no luck with multiplay so far. I get the same problems you had with connecting to, and running a server crashes my sam if anyone connects. This could have something to do with smelly windows firewall
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Hm. A bit of fun for a few minutes but not a patch on the original. Hopefully this isn't too representative of what we've got to expect from the full game.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    the parrot is so cute! that is all.
  • BIOS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BIOS polycounter lvl 18
    played it on a LAN at work just fine. didn't try internet servers though. i'll be buying this for sure, it's quite fun.