Home General Discussion

Body Building and fitness anyone?

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Showster polycounter lvl 18
Hey guys, just cause IT business has a bad name for being lazy in terms of exercise don't mean you can't train right hehe.

Anyone you fellas train outside of work n stuff? I'm pretty big into ooo.gif weights and running. Great stress relief from the demands of the graphics tablet haha.

What sorta routines you lot do?

I tend to practise the beer can curl often tho.....

later

Show

Replies

• Fordy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fordy polycounter lvl 18
    I dont work in games but still sit on my ass all day.

I go to the gym 3 times a week, once for muscle toning (body building doesnt appeal to me), taking at least 10 minutes on all the different machines (I dont like the free weights - So many posers!))

The other two times I workout puerly on the cross trainer again for muscle toning but mainly for cardio, and burn about 1500 calories in an hour and an half. The cross trainer easly burns more calories than the jogging machine hour for hour.

Oh and take yer mp3 player, or be board to death smile.gif
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    Used to work out pretty often (heavy cardio and light weights 3-4 times a week) and didn't realize how out of shape I'd become, until the office babe tells me I used to be the only sexy guy at the office!

I'm moving into a condo with my GF, and there's a gym and pool in the building, so will do me best to get the ol six pack out.
  • Weiser_Cain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Weiser_Cain polycounter lvl 18
    I just lost about thirty pounds in what was pretty much a crash diet and now I'm pretty weak. Once I set up the weight machine I plan on doing at least an hour of free weights a day mainly focusing on the arms and man-tits to help bring out the nice t-frame I have now that I have a waistline again. And to undo the loss of stamina due to the diet I already hit the tread mill every other day.
  • Irritant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Irritant polycounter lvl 18
    3 workouts per week, about an hour per.

Sunday, chest and triceps.

Wednesday, legs and delts.

Friday, back and biceps.

During each of these I also work on my abs, doing different types of leglifts from my Power Tower.

Mondays I play tennis with guys from my home office.

Also, go on usually about two walks, for 3-5 miles with my wife during the evenings. When the weather is cooler, we jog instead.
  • motives
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motives polycounter lvl 18
    i used to hit the gym like 4 times a week but the last 6 months i havnt had any training partner so i cant be bothered (it just dont work donno why) Instead i jog like 4-5 times a week and lift some weights here at home.. starting to get ripped :P

Fordy: 1500 calories, thats pretty radical. What kinda "trainin pattern/resistance" you have then?
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    I just got back onto my strength training regiment with my bowflew (don't laugh, that shit works). The last time I worked out with it, I lost nearly 40lbs in 3 months. I started it up again about a week ago, and have already dropped 6lbs. I'm sitting at 270 right now, and need to drop to 205 smile.gif
    If all goes well, I should be pretty lean 6 months.
  • frosty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frosty polycounter lvl 18
    all that weisr cain said fits me & i am dosing up on natural supplements to help heal my torn bicep tendon.

Oh a 1 hr night walk
  • Ozymandias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ozymandias polycounter lvl 18
    I train in jiu-jitsu three times a week for an hour and a half each time, and on average ride my bike for 2 hours 2-3 times a week.
  • sledgy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sledgy polycounter lvl 18
    Usually weight training 3-5 times/week alternating upper body with lower body and bike to work 3 miles each leg (mild cardio) I'd like to go back into Tae Kwon Do & Hop Kido but I don't know if my old hammies could take it.
  • Soccerman18
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Soccerman18 polycounter lvl 18
    I got to a fitness center near me every day after work. My shins hurt real bad if I run too much so I only run a half mile twice a week, but I use all the machines and free weights. Only lost 15 pounds in 6 months, but I'm lifting 2-3 times and much and doing 3 times as many reps. Probably need to change the routine, but I only go for 40-60 min and I'm already getting back around 9pm, stupid chicagoland traffic.
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    I've slacked off a bit during the past few weeks with the move to the new house. I plan to get back into it soon though. When I am going I usually go a minimum of 3 times a week:

30 mins cardio (elliptical)
    Monday: Chest
    Wednesday: Back and Shoulders
    Friday: Biceps, Triceps, Forearms

Soccerman: Try the elliptical for your cardio. Zero impact so it shouldn't hurt your shins.
  • TNSLB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TNSLB polycounter lvl 18
    When I'm 'on program' my schedule is thus -
    mon - 45 minutes elliptical & 90 minute flow yoga
    tue - elliptical & weights/abs
    wed - elliptical & 90 minutes core yoga
    thur - elliptcal & weights/abs
    fri - elliptical & weights/abs
    sat - 90 minute flow yoga
    sun - nada

I haven't been good for a couple months, so it's been mainly just yoga. I'm getting back into it now..
  • sal_manilla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sal_manilla polycounter lvl 18
    Elliptical 3 times a week - intervals for 45 mins @ level 5-12 followed by core training - abs, lower back, obliques.
    Alternate days - various weight training machines incl. free weights for arms, shoulders, chest and upper back.
    Yoga would be a nice addition for felxibility, balance and relaxation. grin.gif
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Fitness more like for me. I jog 2 1/2 miles give or take every day. If I lay off a day, it's that much harder the next.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    I was exceptionally hardcore with my training this year through July, until a wee bout of heartbreak, life crisis and other exciting things I had managed to avoid my first 29 years kicked my ass. When things are going well, I would do:

M) stationary bike 10 miles, back/bicep/forearm resistance training.

T) stationary bike 10 miles, chest/tricep/ab resistance training.

W) stationary bike 10 miles or aikido, leg/forearm resistance training.

T) stationary bike 10 miles, back/bicep/ab resistance training.

F) stationary bike 10 miles, chest/tricep/forearm resistance training.

S) stationary bike 10 miles or aikido, leg/ab resistance training.

S) effectively a rest day.

Yeah, it's a lot of exercise.
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    i weight train and swim

Benchpress and Decline Benchpress
    Bicep curls (barbell)
    Vertical row (barbell)
    Shoulder press (barbell)
    Tricep (freeweight)
    Abs

I sometimes throw in a lowerback machine, sitting horizontal row machine, pullups and leg machines.

Mixing it up keeps it intersting.

For swimming I do maybe a total of 1.5-2 km of freestyle + mixing in breast stroke for certain laps. I alternate cruising speeds for long distances (300-400m) to build up endurance and much faster speeds for shorter distances (100m-200m) sometimes i finish off with a few 50m sprints to test my time.

At home i got some freeweights and a chinup bar. I go running in the morning if i can and finish it off at home with a few pullups and decline pushups.

Vassago: i think there is much better equipment out there than bowflex for that kind of money, resistance training is good and all but it really cant replace weights. I'd imagine it's pretty decent for high rep exercises but aweful for power reps. But i guess to each his own
  • mr.toast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr.toast polycounter lvl 18
    just started my second cycle of HST (Hypertrophy Specific Training)i am pretty pleased with the results from my first cycle, i gained a pretty good amount of size and strength (my bench press went from 185 to 220 in about a 2 month period) i guess i can thank most of my gains from my diet which was at about 3500-4000 calories a day and consisted of high amounts of protein (almost 300 grams a day) and healty fats and high quality carbs. also took some creatine and whey protein powder as well which helped out

just wondering does anyone here do olympic style lifts like hangcleans and powercleans? gonna add these to my routine when i master the form
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Vassago: i think there is much better equipment out there than bowflex for that kind of money, resistance training is good and all but it really cant replace weights. I'd imagine it's pretty decent for high rep exercises but aweful for power reps. But i guess to each his own

[/ QUOTE ]

They're not as bad as you'd think. They are a bit pricey and not really worth the cost IMO, but you can actually do some decent lifting with a bowflex (that is, if you get the extra 100 pounds of resistance for a total of 300 pounds resistance). My parents bought one, and before I moved out, I started using it. When I used free weights I rep-ed about 185 on bench press, and on the bowflex I had to start at around 150-160 (mainly due to the initial awkwardness) and quickly moved up to 200, so I had a lot of room to grow. It's a lot different than free weights and the "weight" in resistance doesn't precisely translate to free weights, but it's a pretty good machine as long as you're not a serious heavy lifter.
  • frosty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frosty polycounter lvl 18
    http://www.fitmonicastarr.com/indexx.htm

NWS!

I voted for her and she won in planetmuscle contest!
  • StrangeFate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StrangeFate polycounter lvl 18
    I go out almost every night in my latex suit jumping on rooftops and fighting crime.