Home Technical Talk

Maya: How to reduce perspective distortion

Big Rocket
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Big Rocket polycounter lvl 18
Hello,

Something really bugs me about working in Maya. When I zoom in really close to the object I'm working on in the perspective window, I get a lot of perspective distortion (where parallel lines don't appear parallel anymore based on how close they are to the viewer). Is there a way to adjust the viewport setting to reduce or eliminate this phenomenon?

FYI, I already know how to set the perspective window to orthographic, but then it becomes a pain to rotate the view (either view through camera and rotate camera, or adjust the azimuth IIRC).

Thanks,
BR

Replies

• Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Your lens is too short.
    If your camera focal length is about 35, try doubling it to 70 to give you a longer lens feel.
  • Big Rocket
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Big Rocket polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks, Daz. I think this is like the 10th time you've been a great help.

-BR
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    Hey, is there any way to set the long focal length as default? I set it to 90 first thing in every project, but would like to not have to anymore.
  • Faucet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Faucet polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Hey, is there any way to set the long focal length as default? I set it to 90 first thing in every project, but would like to not have to anymore.

[/ QUOTE ]

You could create a scene with all your defaults the way you like it, then change your Maya shortcut to "maya defaultscene.mb"

I thought there was a place where you could put a default scene and the program will open with that normally, but I can't find it. Perhaps I'm thinking of MAX or something.
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks faucet, works well enough although I sometimes forget to use 'save as' instead of 'save' on my first save, overwriting my default scene. guess i'll just have to be more mindful of that..
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    the default scenes are in the my documents/maya/projects folder these informations are stored in the projects configuration so if you set this one as your current project and make the changes (or replace this one with a project config you like) maybe that will work.